“I Don’t Get the Tua Doubt” – Rich Eisen Predicts a Bright Future for Dolphins’ QB | Rich Eisen Show | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

“I Don’t Get the Tua Doubt” – Rich Eisen Predicts a Bright Future for Dolphins’ QB | Rich Eisen Show

I think a lot of the doubt comes from the year Herbert had, which really isn't a fair comparison. The Chargers had much better talent than the Dolphins on the offensive side of the ball. Then, there was the narrative on Fitzpatrick, a long-time backup etc.

I will admit, I expected Tua to be better than Fitzpatrick fairly quickly. That did not happen. But Fitzpatrick clearly has had his best years later in his career. In retrospect, I probably underestimated Fitzpatrick.

Finally, there was the unknown of the hip injury. How long it would take to fully recover etc. All that taken into account, Tua had some moments last year where he played well. Enough, to say, and maybe expect that those moments would be his starting point for 2021.

I wouldn't doubt that Tua ends up in the conversation with Steve Young as the best lefty to ever play the quarterback position when all is said and done.
not just the talent, they asked Tua to play not to lose. all due respect to Hebert but he was in a few ****tail hour scenarios(prevent defenses, games out of hand) i'm sure

Rich is talking like the fins are not supporting him, they are!! Tua will excel this year. A rookie QB coming in the NFL while still rehabilitating from a devastating hip injury and no training camp, playing while still not fully recovered; it is amazing he did as well as he did! People forget, when Tua was breaking all kinds of Alabama TD records, he was pulled in 3rd qrt in the majority of games he played in. The guy as elite attribute that should be on full display this year.

Rich Eisen is one of the few NFL commentators I can listen. I haven't found any that I agree with 100% of the time. But he does have some semblance of common sense and less hype than most.

As far as a genuine commentator, I prefer Ernie Johnson from NBA on TNT.

Rich likes to stir the pot from time to time, but he's no Stephen A.
I don't think that's possible with any person mate.

Rich is talking like the fins are not supporting him, they are!! Tua will excel this year. A rookie QB coming in the NFL while still rehabilitating from a devastating hip injury and no training camp, playing while still not fully recovered; it is amazing he did as well as he did! People forget, when Tua was breaking all kinds of Alabama TD records, he was pulled in 3rd qrt in the majority of games he played in. The guy as elite attribute that should be on full display this year.
He's using the talking point some here like to use with the team not denying the Watson rumors. Flores explained several times they don't discuss trades outside of the team period. Some take that the wrong way.

All of that goes without saying. Yes Tua has to win for a lot to believe but the Tua doubt got out of hand all offseason. He is the same kid from Alabama just a year and a half from major surgery.
But many Dolphin fans have displayed that doubt of Mac Jones as well…despite a fantastic season at Alabama without the surgery!

Yes, Tua like all young QB’s have to prove it at this level…Alabama is not this level.

I do think that there are some attributes that we've seen that aren't commonly seen in "pedestrian" QBs. The accuracy is scary good at times, the footwork is pretty impressive, and maneuvering in the pocket hes better than most. The difference for me from someone like Tannehill is with him you knew after the first year that he had to make significant changes in his playing style in order to be elite at his position. With Tua you've already seen glimpses of the complete package. The tools are all there and its just a matter of him putting them all together on a consistent basis.

I kind of hate to do this, because the past is the past. Joe Philbin, Mike Sherman, and Bill Lazor had Tannehill handcuffed for four seasons. He couldn't call the offense from the line of scrimmage under those guys. He wasn't allowed to make adjustments even if he saw a blitz coming. It's remarkable that he even did what he did under those guys. And again, those teams had terrible O lines and the offenses were designed to be fast and quick execution, which was Tannehill... but his receivers often weren't open so he would take the given a lot of the time.

What Tua has shown in a few games is he will take a shot into the end zone when within the 30. Tannehill would take 7 or 8 yards on a high percentage play rather than going for the kill. Best thing I can say regarding Tua is that he has been coached to win, and he has been coached to be a winner. Tua has been taught to be excellent. That isn't to say that Tannehill isn't excellent, but his career doesn't carry the same pedigree of coaching and winning. Basically, I feel like Tua expects to win, and he should expect to win. Tannehill's coaches... I don't know what the f--k those morons expected, and it damn well showed!

But many Dolphin fans have displayed that doubt of Mac Jones as well…despite a fantastic season at Alabama without the surgery!

Yes, Tua like all young QB’s have to prove it at this level…Alabama is not this level.
Tua is a much better qb then Mac if you watched them play. Maybe the system in NE helps Mac who knows.

Tua is a much better qb then Mac if you watched them play. Maybe the system in NE helps Mac who knows.

Until Belichik retires, I will always worry that he will build an awesome system around whatever QB he has. Obviously, he can't transmute **** into gold, but Mac Jones isn't ****. And that's cause for concern.

Until Belichik retires, I will always worry that he will build an awesome system around whatever QB he has. Obviously, he can't transmute **** into gold, but Mac Jones isn't ****. And that's cause for concern.
Brady proved last year he was the system in NE. Let's see what Bellicheat can do with Mac. A lot believe he was overdrafted.

I don't think that's possible with any person mate.
I don't mean it as an absolution. But I believe most people would agree that while they may differ on opinions with some people, who/what that person represents (genuine honesty or fundamental thinking based on their unwavering core beliefs) can align people together in general consensus while differing.

People can differ on most everything, but if they are genuine people who represent themselves consistently, the respect one person has of another can be a stronger bond than simply aligning completely on most thoughts.

In many ways, this is a crucial foundation of Democracy. You and I may not see eye to eye on every point. But a shared respect over common good or general consensus that we both believe in the same general principals of life will create a shared bond that is far greater.

I would much rather disagree with a genuine person I respect than agree with a liar.

They both played one full season at Alabama…and their numbers are similar….

Tua 2018 - 245-355 -69% -3966 yds -43td/6int
QB rating 199.4

Mac 2020 - 311-402- 77%-4500 yds-41td/4int
QB rating 203.1

Brady proved last year he was the system in NE. Let's see what Bellicheat can do with Mac. A lot believe he was overdrafted.

Was Tom Brady the system when Matt Cassel played? I don't aim to take anything away from either the Belichik or Brady. I suspect that Bill just didn't have a good backup lined up to take the reins like what he had in Garrappolo. In the past, he's had some good backups who could run that system. That obviously wasn't Cam Newton though. I would give it a few years before deciding Brady was the brains of the Belichik outfit. I would also keep in mind that Bill is a lot older now and has a half dozen Superbowl rings -- the hunger just may not be there like it used to be.

I kind of hate to do this, because the past is the past. Joe Philbin, Mike Sherman, and Bill Lazor had Tannehill handcuffed for four seasons. He couldn't call the offense from the line of scrimmage under those guys. He wasn't allowed to make adjustments even if he saw a blitz coming. It's remarkable that he even did what he did under those guys. And again, those teams had terrible O lines and the offenses were designed to be fast and quick execution, which was Tannehill... but his receivers often weren't open so he would take the given a lot of the time.

What Tua has shown in a few games is he will take a shot into the end zone when within the 30. Tannehill would take 7 or 8 yards on a high percentage play rather than going for the kill. Best thing I can say regarding Tua is that he has been coached to win, and he has been coached to be a winner. Tua has been taught to be excellent. That isn't to say that Tannehill isn't excellent, but his career doesn't carry the same pedigree of coaching and winning. Basically, I feel like Tua expects to win, and he should expect to win. Tannehill's coaches... I don't know what the f--k those morons expected, and it damn well showed!
Being a RT fan and avid supporter while he was here, I agree most of what you said but feel one element was omitted about his strengths:

RT was too disciplined for his own good. He followed the expectations of the coaches to a fault.

In reality, RT was a great QB once plays broke down and he had to scramble. On the run, RT was a real weapon that most defenses couldn't contain. The problem was the play has to completely collapse before that part of him took over. He was very accurate outside the pocket and if a play broke down, he found WRs and threw some impressive long darts. He has a very strong arm and he's accurate on the move.

This is why he earned the "robot" descriptions from time to time about his pocket play. It wasn't his nature to be in the pocket. He excelled in chaos. But we simply didn't give him enough opportunities with "designed" chaos. He was constantly pressed into traditional play calling. Forcing him to rely on one of his weakest traits; pocket presence.

But roll him out with a streaking WR and magic happened.

He was a Shanahan-style QB forced into a pocket passing offense with bodies falling all around him. He wasn't Dan Marino.

Play action and mobility are his strengths. It shows with Tennessee.

That said, RT is not the QB to elevate your team. He is not elite. But he also wasn't positioned to succeed either.

Was Tom Brady the system when Matt Cassel played? I don't aim to take anything away from either the Belichik or Brady. I suspect that Bill just didn't have a good backup lined up to take the reins like what he had in Garrappolo. In the past, he's had some good backups who could run that system. That obviously wasn't Cam Newton though. I would give it a few years before deciding Brady was the brains of the Belichik outfit. I would also keep in mind that Bill is a lot older now and has a half dozen Superbowl rings -- the hunger just may not be there like it used to be.
BB had a lesser team last year than the team he had Brady’s last season (a season they deteriorated late and got bounced in the 1st round at home). Brady was pissed and wanted either a reinvigorated roster, or hit the road. Funny to see that roster get invigorated after Brady leaves and wins another ring (while the Pats don’t hit .500). BB’s a great coach, but he got humbled last year. Brady punked him to the extreme…and it was glorious!

Back
Top Bottom