I don't want the big-name, flashy hire. | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

I don't want the big-name, flashy hire.

It doesn't have to be a "diamond in the rough" if we do our homework.
You honestly think that unsuccessful head coaching hires are due to the lack of doing homework, versus the odds being against hiring someone good?

And even if you do think they're due to the lack of doing homework, what makes you think the people making this decision for us are capable of doing the right homework?

You'd rather put your faith in those people's ability to do the right homework than put your faith in a head coach who's won a Super Bowl?

Come on.

Cowher and Gruden were "unproven NFL head coaches" at one point. Is it so crazy to want to spend time and resources finding a young, hungry coach over throwing money at someone who has been away from football for years and may very well have lost what made him a great head coach earlier in his career?

OMG dude and so are 20,000 other joe schmoes out there. LETS JUST PIN THE TAIL ON THE ****ING DONKEY!! who knows maybe well get lucky

You honestly think that unsuccessful head coaching hires are due to the lack of doing homework, versus the odds being against hiring someone good?

And even if you do think they're due to the lack of doing homework, what makes you think the people making this decision for us are capable of doing the right homework?

You'd rather put your faith in those people's ability to do the right homework than put your faith in a head coach who's won a Super Bowl?

Come on.

shouright u KNOW this is a battle you CANT win. u are making a pretty HUGE assumption. that logic and reason and intelligence and odds prevail here at finheaven. we already know that isnt the case my man

Weird how the NFL doesn't just recycle head coaches. Its almost like they noticed a pattern of failure or something.

Oh well, I'm off for now but I'll be back to respond to you all tomorrow.

Weird how the NFL doesn't just recycle head coaches. Its almost like they noticed a pattern of failure or something.

Please, sleep this off and come back fresh. :lol:

so u are in a weird way proving our point. yeah guys THAT DONT WIN dont get new jobs. kinda makes sense huh? just like a quarterback that thows more interceptions than touchdowns doesnt keep his job long. past performance IS an indicator of POTENTIAL future performance.

if you were buying a stock, and u could practically GUARANTEE that your losses were limited, while the stock (company) STILL possesses HUGE growth potential and thus unlimited potential. isnt that a BETTER BUY than one that riding out enron? or a stock with tremendous downside and unknown growth potential??? kinda makes sense doesnt it???

where would u put your money?? (well think i already have the answer) actually where SHOULD u put your money given this scenario?

That's why I want him to do a thorough search and find the right man for the job. Cameron and Sparano were NEVER NFL HC material, and it would've been obvious had the previous staffs responsible for hiring them been competent and done their homework.

EDIT: Actually I'm sure Parcells got exactly what he wanted out of Sparano. A puppet.

Not ture. Cam Cameron was a hot commodity at the time. He was considered a very good OC at San Diego and his name was mentioned for several HC jobs when the Fins were looking.

First of all, you really need to calm down. Second of all, what sounds more like reinventing the wheel to you? Attempting to do something that has NEVER worked before, or trying to emulate what the most successful franchises in the NFL right now have done and find our own Belichick, McCarthy, Tomlin, Schwartz etc. etc. It doesn't have to be a "diamond in the rough" if we do our homework.

yep cause once a coach has won a super bowl he is INELIGIBLE to win again. LMFAO!! just ask belicheck, walsh, jimmy johnson,chuck knoll, joe gibbs, vince lombardi on and on and on. GREAT LOGIC. i dont need to settle down, u need to smarten up

By some of the logic people have here in this thread the Fins should have never hired Shula back in the day. I mean just go find an unproven guy it works better according to some. Why hire another proven head coach. Look for someone young and hungry.

Silly logic!

By some of the logic people have here in this thread the Fins should have never hired Shula back in the day. I mean just go find an unproven guy it works better according to some. Why hire another proven head coach. Look for someone young and hungry.

Silly logic!

yeah but that was DIFFERENT we actually had to TRADE PICKS to bring in shula and then he won a super bowl. everybody already KNEW what a great coach he was. so that doesnt count! oh WAIT OMFG. isnt there somebody else that a team had to trade picks for and then WON A SUPER BOWL???? i wish there was. cause it might actually MAKE SENSE TO HIRE somebody like that huh??? but then again - if a guy like that even existed everybody would already KNOW what a great coach he was huh?? so maybe we should "discover" somebody instead. because thats the most intelligent thing to do

yep cause once a coach has won a super bowl he is INELIGIBLE to win again. LMFAO!! just ask belicheck, walsh, jimmy johnson,chuck knoll, joe gibbs, vince lombardi on and on and on. GREAT LOGIC. i dont need to settle down, u need to smarten up

I'm procrastinating HARD on something I should really be doing right now, but I can't resist.

Anyway let me ask you a question. Did all those coaches you mentioned build a Super Bowl caliber team, then have to start over from scratch and build another one to get their multiple rings? No. They had a great team for several years and managed to win multiple Super Bowls with them. But I'm sure you'd be perfectly content with asking Gruden/Cowher to do that, EXCEPT it would be even tougher for them because they've been away from NFL football for multiple years. Perhaps those are the types of things you'd take into consideration when you simmer down?

I'm procrastinating HARD on something I should really be doing right now, but I can't resist.

Anyway let me ask you a question. Did all those coaches you mentioned build a Super Bowl caliber team, then have to start over from scratch and build another one to get their multiple rings? No. They had a great team for several years and managed to win multiple Super Bowls with them. But I'm sure you'd be perfectly content with asking Gruden/Cowher to do that, EXCEPT it would be even tougher for them because they've been away from NFL football for multiple years. Perhaps those are the types of things you'd take into consideration when you simmer down?

do you realize that joe gibbs had to rebuild a super bowl team to do it again, and did it with multiple quarterbacks as well

Last edited by a moderator:
do you realize that joe gibbs had to rebuild a super bowl team to do it again, and did it with multiple quarterbacks as well

Yeah you're right, those Redskins teams between Gibbs first and second Super Bowl wins only managed to win 48 games in 4 years, and 27 wins in the years between his second and third Super Bowls. That poor ******* :(

Last edited by a moderator:
BTW if 27 wins in 3 years isn't enough for you, realize that the '91 'Skins only won on account of Mark Rypien having one of the flukiest seasons in the history of fluky seasons.

maybe when u learn how to think, u will realize that joe gibbs had to rebuild a super bowl team to do it again, and did it with multiple quarterbacks as well

but what do i know? ALABAMA was probably pretty ****ING DUMB for hiring Nick Saban!!! afterall a head coach in college cant win an undisputed national championship if theyve ALREADY DONE IT with another team!! ITS NEVER BEEN DONE!!!!! ******* crimson tide!!! they should have KNOWN he couldnt do it!!! after all - wheres his fire????? it HAD to disappear when he left LSU!!! the old team retains it right??

start making some sense people

Back
Top Bottom