I don't want the big-name, flashy hire. | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

I don't want the big-name, flashy hire.

By some of the logic people have here in this thread the Fins should have never hired Shula back in the day. I mean just go find an unproven guy it works better according to some. Why hire another proven head coach. Look for someone young and hungry.

Silly logic!

It's not silly logic at all. There are merits to both theories, it's just a matter of personal preference. It's just that in the current NFL there has been well documented successes in hiring first time coaches that were their former team's coordinators from other NFL squads over established coaches from the collegiate or NFL level. No it didn't work out with Sparano, but then again it is more likely he was hired because of his connection to Parcells than for his actual head coaching ability. Plus he was not a coordinator, he was an offensive line coach. There had to be better head coaching candidates than Sparano.

Examples of what I'm talking about: Sean Peyton, Mike Smith, Mike McCarthy, Mike Tomlin

I'm not saying that a Gruden or a Cowher couldn't do the job. I just think we've been down both those roads and didn't hire the right guys (Johnson, Wanny, Cameron, Saban, Sparano). I want a proper coaching search that gets us the best candidate, not some savior in over his head (Cameron, Saban) or an old coach no longer hungry (Johnson) or complete ineptness (Wanny, Sparano). I'm not prepared to anoint anyone as the next head coach, Gruden or otherwise. No matter what the Miami Dolphins Wikipedia site says (for some reason it currently says Bill Cowher is our head coach).

It's not silly logic at all. There are merits to both theories, it's just a matter of personal preference. It's just that in the current NFL there has been well documented successes in hiring first time coaches that were their former team's coordinators from other NFL squads over established coaches from the collegiate or NFL level. No it didn't work out with Sparano, but then again it is more likely he was hired because of his connection to Parcells than for his actual head coaching ability. Plus he was not a coordinator, he was an offensive line coach. There had to be better head coaching candidates than Sparano.

Examples of what I'm talking about: Sean Peyton, Mike Smith, Mike McCarthy, Mike Tomlin

I'm not saying that a Gruden or a Cowher couldn't do the job. I just think we've been down both those roads and didn't hire the right guys (Johnson, Wanny, Cameron, Saban, Sparano). I want a proper coaching search that gets us the best candidate, not some savior in over his head (Cameron, Saban) or an old coach no longer hungry (Johnson) or complete ineptness (Wanny, Sparano). I'm not prepared to anoint anyone as the next head coach, Gruden or otherwise. No matter what the Miami Dolphins Wikipedia site says (for some reason it currently says Bill Cowher is our head coach).
I have a feeling that if you had a heavy financial investment in the Dolphins' success, as Stephen Ross does, your "personal preference" would be to hire a highly successful head coach if indeed one was available.

Very easy to sit here on a message board and say your "personal preference" is for something else.

About the time you plunked down a billion dollars for this team, you'd be doing the research to make your head coaching hire a little more objective and data-driven than a "preference."

Now, if someone can do the research to show HOW the selection of inexperienced head coaches leads to success (Sean Peyton) versus failure (Cam Cameron), I'm all ears, but until then, I'll put my faith in the selection of a former Super Bowl winner (Jon Gruden).

yeah because unproven NFL head coaches like Sparano, Cam, and Saban worked out soooooooooooo well!

Please. No more on the job training. Give me a proven NFL head coach with a track record
Saban would have been a great NFL coach had he wanted to be one. Unfortunately he left us but we would probably be battling with the Patriots for division title right now under him.

Saban would have been a great NFL coach had he wanted to be one. Unfortunately he left us but we would probably be battling with the Patriots for division title right now under him.

not with first round draft picks like jason allen, and passing up a guy like aaron rodgers for ronnie brown. think about it. if he had draft rodgers instead of brown, he never would have traded a 2nd for dante culpepper and might have had some measure of NFL success which would have kept him in the NFL.

im pretty sure he "wanted to" be a good NFL head coach. unfortunately he also "wanted to" be an NFL executive. unfortunately he should have left that to somebody who knew what they were doing, and then he wouldnt have had to hang his NFL success on the arms of Gus frerotte and dante culpepper. when saban realized you dont win in the NFL without a quarterback, and with zero prospects of securing one anytime soon, he ran off with his tail between his legs for football on saturdays

Without a big name coach, we wont attract big name players. Players would want to play under Gruden/Cowher/Fisher more so than Sporano or most other unknown, under achieving coaches. You really think Luck would want to play or would prosper under Sporano?

I was in Sporano's corner till last week. Now I think it's time for a change.

not with first round draft picks like jason allen, and passing up a guy like aaron rodgers for ronnie brown. think about it. if he had draft rodgers instead of brown, he never would have traded a 2nd for dante culpepper and might have had some measure of NFL success which would have kept him in the NFL.

im pretty sure he "wanted to" be a good NFL head coach. unfortunately he also "wanted to" be an NFL executive. unfortunately he should have left that to somebody who knew what they were doing, and then he wouldnt have had to hang his NFL success on the arms of Gus frerotte and dante culpepper. when saban realized you dont win in the NFL without a quarterback, and with zero prospects of securing one anytime soon, he ran off with his tail between his legs for football on saturdays
Lots of people passed on Rodgers and Rodgers was not a quarterback ready off the bat anyways, he was someone who was going to sit for 2-3 years, nor was he that great on his first season anyways.

Saban made QB a priority. That's why he wanted Brees here, but the doctors said no, and Mueller was feuding with Saban about it too. Saban wanted Brees despite the shoulder issue but Mueller cheaped out on us. Saban and Randy didn't have a great relationship. Some even think that's the reason Saban left.

Without a big name coach, we wont attract big name players. Players would want to play under Gruden/Cowher/Fisher more so than Sporano or most other unknown, under achieving coaches. You really think Luck would want to play or would prosper under Sporano?

I was in Sporano's corner till last week. Now I think it's time for a change.

took you long enough!! a head coach guys want to play for will certainly help. no state income tax and s florida weather doesnt hurt either. in the end guys want to win tho, and if we have a coach with a ring, building a new culture, that will be appealing to guys.

ultimately this team will have to be built through the draft tho. free agent signings should be limited to guys that either will provide the type of TEAM oriented leadership we need, and will buy in 100%, or guys coming off their initial rookie contracts that fit either our offensive or defensive system like a glove and should be here for an extended period of time. if they dont fit either of these, they shouldnt be brought in - we should simply retool through the draft until we have a quarterback in place and the team is ready to break out. at that point, if there is a critical hole that needs to be addressed we can look to add a veteran player though a trade if necessary (similar to what Jimmy Johnson did with Charles Haley)

Lots of people passed on Rodgers and Rodgers was not a quarterback ready off the bat anyways, he was someone who was going to sit for 2-3 years, nor was he that great on his first season anyways.

Saban made QB a priority. That's why he wanted Brees here, but the doctors said no, and Mueller was feuding with Saban about it too. Saban wanted Brees despite the shoulder issue but Mueller cheaped out on us. Saban and Randy didn't have a great relationship. Some even think that's the reason Saban left.

there is nothing that says aaron rodgers couldnt have been the QB he is today if he didnt get his career started earlier. NOTHING. and what are u talking about? rodgers was FANTASTIC FROM THE START he threw 28 TDs with 13 picks his first year. green bay pushed favre out of town because they knew they had a stud on their hands. NOTHING says he couldnt have had matt ryan type success right out of the box, and certainly not by his second year. and thats all fine and good saban went after brees, but WHY did he wait until his second year to address the quarterback position??? he had a pretty high draft pick, and never drafted a quarterback. i dont really consider making that a "priority"

ultimately this team will have to be built through the draft tho.
Do you really think the team is in that bad of shape?

Let's say the Dolphins get Luck and in the second pick up the best RT or G available. If you kept the rest of the players from this season, that is a team that can win. Sure, you're going to have some holes and weak spots but that is the case for every team.

I don't think the Dolphins are losing due to a lack of talent.

Let's say the Dolphins get Luck and in the second pick up the best RT or G available. If you kept the rest of the players from this season, that is a team that can win. Sure, you're going to have some holes and weak spots but that is the case for every team.

i think generally in the NFL things are never as bad or as good as they seem. what has to be evaluated is how many players on the current roster can contribute to a championship team? how many players must be added before our roster can compete for a division title? on defense bell has to be replaced. and a starter needs to be found at FS. so in all likelihood we need 2 safeties. we need an additional corner, and if we remain a 3-4 team we need an ELITE player at OLB opposite wake. paul soliai needs to be retained or we need to upgrade the postion. we also need to find a DT that can apply pressure up the middle on passing downs. on offense we need a franchise QB, and an additional every down running back. we need at least one seam threat at tight end, and we could really use a #1 wide receiver. we need a LG, a RG, and a RT, plus at least one additional lineman.

we are about 15 players away from having an absolutely fantastic team. and im not talking about bottom of the roster guys. im talking we need maybe 3 more guys to become probowl type players some at key positions. we need 7 NFL starting caliber players and the rest middle of the roster/depth guys that could emerge eventually.

so i dont know. does that mean we are far away? perhaps. perhaps not. how fast can we find a franchise QB, 3 starting lineman,a safety, and an OLB? we fill those 6 positions with very talented players and we can win right now. check that add another corner too

The Dolphins have no talent. We don't have a #1 WR. Sean Smith can't play. Vontae isn't a #1 CB, #2 at best. Our LB core is poor, Koa Misi does nothing. Our saftey's suck. We have 2 quality o-linemen. Fasano is a back-up at best.

The Dolphins have little to NO talent! This myth that we have talent is a joke. The team sucks for a reason. IT has no players.

I have a feeling that if you had a heavy financial investment in the Dolphins' success, as Stephen Ross does, your "personal preference" would be to hire a highly successful head coach if indeed one was available.

Very easy to sit here on a message board and say your "personal preference" is for something else.

About the time you plunked down a billion dollars for this team, you'd be doing the research to make your head coaching hire a little more objective and data-driven than a "preference."

Now, if someone can do the research to show HOW the selection of inexperienced head coaches leads to success (Sean Peyton) versus failure (Cam Cameron), I'm all ears, but until then, I'll put my faith in the selection of a former Super Bowl winner (Jon Gruden).

As with any hire of employees is comes down to how they do in their interview. Do they impress you? Do they appear to have the drive and the fire that you want? What are their salary demands? How much power do they want?

All I'm saying is I want a good coaching search conducted with plenty of candidates interviewed. Hire the best one, whether it be Gruden, another team's offensive coordinator, or be it Mickey Mouse. I don't want to anoint anyone as the next savior of the franchise until that happens, as some people on this board appear to want to do.

As with any hire of employees is comes down to how they do in their interview. Do they impress you? Do they appear to have the drive and the fire that you want? What are their salary demands? How much power do they want?

All I'm saying is I want a good coaching search conducted with plenty of candidates interviewed. Hire the best one, whether it be Gruden, another team's offensive coordinator, or be it Mickey Mouse. I don't want to anoint anyone as the next savior of the franchise until that happens, as some people on this board appear to want to do.
How can any inexperienced coach's interview possibly impress anyone more than a Super Bowl ring?

If an inexperienced coach's interview impressed our braintrust more than a Super Bowl ring, I would have serious questions about the intelligence of the braintrust.

So, that makes the point moot, doesn't it? I mean we can talk all day about doing due diligence, but if there's a Super Bowl-winning coach in the mix who wants the job, how could you possibly want someone inexperienced?

In other words, an interview can't possibly be the means by which an inexperienced coach distinguishes himself enough from a Super Bowl-winner to be hired over him.

Again, I need a more reliable evaluation method for determining how one can forecast that the hire of an inexperienced head coach will be successful (Sean Peyton) versus unsuccessful (Cam Cameron).

Absent that, it makes a whole lot more sense to go with the Super Bowl-winner IMO.

How can any inexperienced coach's interview possibly impress anyone more than a Super Bowl ring?

If an inexperienced coach's interview impressed our braintrust more than a Super Bowl ring, I would have serious questions about the intelligence of the braintrust.

So, that makes the point moot, doesn't it? I mean we can talk all day about doing due dilligence, but if there's a Super Bowl-winning coach in the mix who wants the job, how could you possibly want someone inexperienced?

that just makes too much sense tho. so instead of putting it to rest, lets debate all the dumb things we could do instead, so maybe we'll eventually forget how much sense just hiring a guy with a ring makes. this way we can debate a topic that shouldnt be up for debate all the way up till....................

the point that JON GRUDEN GETS HIRED!!!!!!!!!!!

Back
Top Bottom