I like Saban, but... | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

I like Saban, but...

SCall13

Finheaven QB
Reaction score
... he is already getting in the habit of making too many excuses. There are no excuses just results. He is defending the goal pass play and the two reverses on 2nd and 3. (And of course defending all the other play calling by Linehan) This isn't the first game he has made excuses. To me, making excuses for losses gives the team a crutch to lean on because they know that if they lose again, they will be protected by an excuse. Same can be said for coaches. Also, when someone continues to make excuses about everything, it shows a lack of confidence. Is Saban losing confidence? I hope not and he probably isn't. But all these guys are men and need to be held accountable for what happens on the field. Excuses don't win football games.

SCall13 said:
... he is already getting in the habit of making too many excuses. There are no excuses just results. He is defending the goal pass play and the two reverses on 2nd and 3. (And of course defending all the other play calling by Linehan) This isn't the first game he has made excuses. To me, making excuses for losses gives the team a crutch to lean on because they know that if they lose again, they will be protected by an excuse. Same can be said for coaches. Also, when someone continues to make excuses about everything, it shows a lack of confidence. Is Saban losing confidence? I hope not and he probably isn't. But all these guys are men and need to be held accountable for what happens on the field. Excuses don't win football games.
Show me a coach who doesn't make excuses!!

LtDan said:
Show me a coach who doesn't make excuses!!

Excuses that aren't directly protecting someone is one thing. But constant excuses to protect his players and coaches is another story. Bellichek, for example, had injuries last year out the *** and didn't make excuses, they won a Super Bowl. He's had injury problems this year and isn't using them for excuses. Excuses are about the only legit EXCUSE and most coaches want use them. Andy Reid, Bill Cowher, to name a few, are coaches who you very very rarely hear make excuses for their teams short-comings.

SCall13 said:
Excuses that aren't directly protecting someone is one thing. But constant excuses to protect his players and coaches is another story. Bellichek, for example, had injuries last year out the *** and didn't make excuses, they won a Super Bowl. He's had injury problems this year and isn't using them for excuses. Excuses are about the only legit EXCUSE and most coaches want use them. Andy Reid, Bill Cowher, to name a few, are coaches who you very very rarely hear make excuses for their teams short-comings.

Why would Belichick make excuses last year? He won 14 games. This year, the Patriots look a little more whiny.

am i missing something? At what point did he make excuses? He gave explanations...not excuses. As for the reverses....he said...had he know the left tackle would not block his guy right...he would not have run that play!! He is right..it's a matter of execution. If the guy makes the block he should...then it goes for 60 yards and it looks like a great call. It's not a matter of a bad call...but bad execution. Same thing with the 3rd and 2. Let's look at it the other way...Atlanta stacks the box...we run the ball and get a 2 yard loss. Then we throw an incompletion. Everyone then would say...geez...they were stacking the box...why didn't we run some play action? Like Saban said...every play works if you do it right.
I also seem to recall him saying everyone needs to take responsibility for the loss including himself. Saying you need to execute better is not an excuse, it's an explanation.
Would you rather he starts laying blame? How productive will it be to say...oh yeah...that call by Linehan was crap...we should never have thrown on 3rd and 2. Gimme a break

Hogwash....plain and simple. You should expect Saban to make excuses....or if you like reason's why this play didn't work...etc, but you have to place blame squarely on those that didn't perform their assignments....if the quarterback screw's up....blame the QB....If the O-lineman screws up blame him. The road Saban seems to heading down is just to familiar for us Dolphin fans....we'll get it fixed....we need to execute...I agree we do. If the player isn't or just plain can't perform his job...change the player.
Saban's job is to win....period. He wasn't hired to be liked...he wasn't hired to play favorites....he was hired to win....and if he has to kick tail and take names...so be it.

What are the excuses? He said they didn't execute. He said the WRs need to stop bitching and start catching. He said the WRs can't drop ANY passes. He called out McIntosh for missing a block and causing a reverse to go for a loss.

I don't see any excuses. He isn't laying much blame around, but I haven't read any excuses either. He says they need to improve, they need to get better, where's the excuse?? The pass play was a fine call, just Gus didn't make the throw. Yes, Ronnie was running well, and Scott telegraphed a throw by having R&R in the same backfeild, but does that make Scott a bad OC? No. Saban could have over written him. So where's the excuse? He didn't say Scott had the flu and wasn't thinking clearly, he didn't say his OL had food poisoning, he didn't say Gus was talentless (wait..)

So I fail to see how Saban is making excuses.

bigmiamifan said:
What are the excuses? He said they didn't execute. He said the WRs need to stop bitching and start catching. He said the WRs can't drop ANY passes. He called out McIntosh for missing a block and causing a reverse to go for a loss.

I don't see any excuses. He isn't laying much blame around, but I haven't read any excuses either. He says they need to improve, they need to get better, where's the excuse?? The pass play was a fine call, just Gus didn't make the throw. Yes, Ronnie was running well, and Scott telegraphed a throw by having R&R in the same backfeild, but does that make Scott a bad OC? No. Saban could have over written him. So where's the excuse? He didn't say Scott had the flu and wasn't thinking clearly, he didn't say his OL had food poisoning, he didn't say Gus was talentless (wait..)

Fine call? Now....thats an excuse. You don't take the football out of the hands of your best players....and place your game and hopes with a QB that is playing as bad as Ray Lucas. Can you imagine what would have happened if Shula call an obvious throwing play and ran instead....taking the football out of Marino's hands? The main problem I see with Linehan is he's not playing to the Dolphins strength....but after coming from "let them fly" vikesland...maybe we can understand why....but he should know we don't have Culpepper and Moss....we have Gus and Chambers. I would run Ronnie, Ricky and Even Morris bow-legged to win games....and I wouldn't call a pass play until the defense is so tired....they can't cover. If Bob Griese could win a Superbowl throwing only 11 times....so can Gus and the modern Dolphins....but it all starts with one thing...a mindset...and finishes with you have to have the heart to win!

SCall13 said:

Where did he make excuses? He stated it like it is. He said the plays would have worked had the players executed them correctly. Those are facts not excuses. Excuses would be like...Gus couldnt see the D back because the Sun was in his eyes...or...we have to many false starts because the crowd noise is to loud. Saban doesnt make excuses. Get it straight.

fishypete said:
Fine call? Now....thats an excuse. You don't take the football out of the hands of your best players....and place your game and hopes with a QB that is playing as bad as Ray Lucas. Can you imagine what would have happened if Shula call an obvious throwing play and ran instead....taking the football out of Marino's hands? The main problem I see with Linehan is he's not playing to the Dolphins strength....but after coming from "let them fly" vikesland...maybe we can understand why....but he should know we don't have Culpepper and Moss....we have Gus and Chambers. I would run Ronnie, Ricky and Even Morris bow-legged to win games....and I wouldn't call a pass play until the defense is so tired....they can't cover. If Bob Griese could win a Superbowl throwing only 11 times....so can Gus and the modern Dolphins....but it all starts with one thing...a mindset...and finishes with you have to have the heart to win!

Dude...do you know anything about football. Its called a playaction pass..the RUN sets it up.

fishypete said:

You didnt just compare and equate the back-to-back SuperBowl teams with this one did you? You just didnt imply that this modern team has the same total and overall talent to win a Superbowl this year did you?

Clearly we do not have all the pieces yet to win a superbowl this year. Please tell me you exaggerated and the frustration of the moment got the better of you.

hes absolutely right in what hes saying... if the play works, no one questions it... its easy to second guess something after the fact...

its like in KC with that play to end the game, vermiel goes for it, if he doesn't get it it turns into a horrible call, but since they got that TD its a great call...

arsenal said:
hes absolutely right in what hes saying... if the play works, no one questions it... its easy to second guess something after the fact...

its like in KC with that play to end the game, vermiel goes for it, if he doesn't get it it turns into a horrible call, but since they got that TD its a great call...

Exactly.

Sadly, its that flawed logic that the games final score is the only measuring stick for a fan to attempt to validate their opinion of the team that defines FANACTISM.

Hush it up already, Jeez. :fire: Yall always want to blame someone. Nick Saban can't do it all in one year. A SB team is not built in one year, it takes a few years to build one so until then, don't blame Saban or else!!!!

bigmiamifan said:

I TOTALLY AGREE...Sometimes i wonder if people here watch the same interviews I do. Saban Has never made an excuse for anything or anyone. Some people just want saban to call players out... or make panick moves like benching someone for someone worse.
You hit the nail on the head my friend.

Back
Top Bottom