I like Saban, but... | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

I like Saban, but...

Superself said:
You want to prevent the other team from scoring too...right? So why not eat a little clock or cause them to use 1-2 of their timeouts? Puts the pressure on them. This has been done before when a team is about to tie a game...its not new.
Also, what makes you so sure that we could not run it on 3rd and 2 and not make that first down? Ricky and Ronnie were averaging 5+ per carry. They were reliable. Gus is not. So you go with Gus?
:shakeno:

im not questioning the call either way good or bad, hindsight is 20/20 and gives for a bias perception of the call... a run might have made more sense, but maybe thats why we passed tried to catch them off guard...

and the falcons would not have used a timeout at all if we ran and got a first down... no way... this isn't madden, its not gauranteed that we would have scored, running down the clock was the last thing on the dolphins mind in that situation... and the falcons wanted that clock to go down as fast as possible...

Dolphins_SR66 said:
Its not SABANISM. Your point about the better option is probably correct but that again is based on the "result" of the play that was called, and your expectation of what you expected to happen if we called a different play.

Linehan called the play that he thought fit within the context of that drive. Its easy to second guess. And even if 100 out of 100 "experts" say it was a bad call, that only proves that he went against the norm and tried to cross them up. I too didnt like the call based on the results, and if we score a TD or get the first down to the pass falls incomplete, I probably scratch my head and wonder why call that pay. But its just one single play call in the whole game. McNabb did it as well vs. the Skins. Its one call, its one play.

I dont disagree with the hindsight logic, but its the bashing of the coaching staff and the attitudes of posters that the end results should dominate their view of the this team this year and if its improved and improving for the future.

The reason it's easy to second guess is for four reasons, all of which are related.

1) Ricky and Ronnie are two very talented running backs.
2) Ricky and Ronnie were both having successful running games and were still fresh.
3) Gus is not a very talented quarterback.
4) Gus was not having a successful game.

We knew this going into that play. The game is basically on the line. Our strength on offense consists of our most talented players. Additionally, they were having success. Our quarterback was playing about where he was expected to play. Passing is not our strength. (It's not like we had Dan Marino, who despite having a bad game was still Dan Marino. It's also not like we had Marcel Shipp back there, who despite having a good game was still Marcel Shipp.)

Superself said:
You want to prevent the other team from scoring too...right? So why not eat a little clock or cause them to use 1-2 of their timeouts? Puts the pressure on them. This has been done before when a team is about to tie a game...its not new.
Also, what makes you so sure that we could not run it on 3rd and 2 and not make that first down? Ricky and Ronnie were averaging 5+ per carry. They were reliable. Gus is not. So you go with Gus?
:shakeno:

It seems to me that you will not listen to ANYONE else's opinion but your own. Play like that are called ALL THE TIME IN THE NFL..
But hey.. dont let me tell you that... cause you know everything. If all you want to do is ***** about our coach and team why dont you cheer for another team.. i could think a team in our division closer to home for you that would seem to suit your happy disposition.

Dolphins_SR66 said:
Far enough, so what did you expect or want Saban to say?

As you point out, he said what a good head coach says in public? Every press conference he says the right things?

Do you want him drawn-and-quartered because he says the right things? Or drawn-and-quatered because he doesnt say other more inflamatory things?

Saban is damned if he does, or damned if he doesnt with that thinking.

I guess the answer isn't simple...but direct....he should blast Linehan and Gus...in private....and in time we'll be able to see if anything has changed.
If the Dolphins play to their strength...we should see more runs inside the 5 yd line....you can't take the tthrow away entirely...but you shouldn't see 3 throws in a row again.

fishypete said:
You can only cross them up...if they don't know whats coming to begin with...and we already know that the Falcons knew it was going to be a pass play...Whats amazing is...how come a team like the Falcons can see our tendencies....when Ricky and Ronnie are in the same backfield...but our great 22-23 coach's can't see that we are giving up the plays? Whats up with that!

How did they know that?

Canadianfishfan said:
It seems to me that you will not listen to ANYONE else's opinion but your own. Play like that are called ALL THE TIME IN THE NFL..
But hey.. dont let me tell you that... cause you know everything. If all you want to do is ***** about our coach and team why dont you cheer for another team.. i could think a team in our division closer to home for you that would seem to suit your happy disposition.

Unless you have Marino....teams normally don't throw three times in a row...inside the 10 yd line....especially when you have running backs as the Dolphins do.

Canadianfishfan said:
I came to that realization yesterday, and stopped trying. Nothing at all wrong with the play call. Nothing. You have a starting QB that is paid to execute the palys that are called. If he can't do that, just direct snap the ball to Ricky or Ronnie from now on and run the wishbone.

fishypete said:
I guess the answer isn't simple...but direct....he should blast Linehan and Gus...in private....and in time we'll be able to see if anything has changed.

If the Dolphins play to their strength...we should see more runs inside the 5 yd line....you can't take the throw away entirely...but you shouldn't see 3 throws in a row again.

Yup, I suspect Saban is the type of coach who does exactly that. And I suspect he isnt the type to exclude himself from bashing and analysis each week. He is the type that learns from and moves on with better knowledge, but doesnt let fear of public opinion change his course of action.

Canadianfishfan said:

Sure they are called all the time in the NFL. But in that situation when you have 2 dominant backs and an underperforming QB...it does not make sense.

If all you want to do is read positive statements about Miami then I would suggest you look elsewhere because a message board will contain both positive and negative. You asking all the negative posters to leave because their opinion differs from your own is just childish and silly.

Dolphins_SR66 said:
How did they know that?

It was said by a Falcon player after the game....it's in the press...and was posted here at this site. I also believe it was said during a Press conference after the game. When Ricky and Ronnie are on the field together...they threw 8 out of 9 times....thats a tendency. If you run half the times and throw half the times....teams can't forecast your plays....gee...and I'm just a dumb old fan.
Like I said...where are our 22-23 coach's? They don't watch games...film?

fishypete said:
Unless you have Marino....teams normally don't throw three times in a row...inside the 10 yd line....especially when you have running backs as the Dolphins do.

we could debate the call forever.. And you know that. If it were complete, this wouldn't be an issue.. THIS you know also.
Shoulda coulda woulda... You understand...
So whith that being said I understand that after 2 throws.. it would seem plausable to assume that they were hoping the defense would bite on the run.
Just like you said.. RUN the ball.... Now if you at home can see and say that.. It would make semnse to throw then wouldn't it?
If it works.. its was a good call... but it didn't.. so its a bad call.
We could say that about every call if you want.

Canadianfishfan...

You have your head in the sand.

It WAS a BAD CALL. Everyone knows it, do the research.
What's a bad play call? One that has high statistical chances of failure.
What's a good play call? One that has high statistical chances of success.

All teams have stats on play yields for every down and distance charted.

All teams have opponents tendencies charted and coordinators make calls based on these tendencies.

Atlanta had this play sniffed right from the formation. The saftey made the play because he anticipated the pass, because he knew the call.

Bad play.

Here's a good play.

Knowing our own tendencies, i.e. 70%pass out of the R-n-R formation, we actually RUN the ball. How about that? A play that counters our tendency and serves to our strength and talent?

Duhhhhhhhh.

We lost the game. The evidence is found in the results.

Deal with it.

Superself said:
Sure they are called all the time in the NFL. But in that situation when you have 2 dominant backs and an underperforming QB...it does not make sense.

If all you want to do is read positive statements about Miami then I would suggest you look elsewhere because a message board will contain both positive and negative. You asking all the negative posters to leave because their opinion differs from your own is just childish and silly.

But all you are doing is saying the same thing over and over and over.. I don't expect positive posts all the time... i dont positive posts all the time. But there are many decent arguments to YOUR points... that you are choosing to ignore.

Dolfan4life! said:
I came to that realization yesterday, and stopped trying. Nothing at all wrong with the play call. Nothing. You have a starting QB that is paid to execute the palys that are called. If he can't do that, just direct snap the ball to Ricky or Ronnie from now on and run the wishbone.

So in your opinion an offensive coordinator should never lean toward his strength?

phinfreak said:
You have your head in the sand.

It WAS a BAD CALL. Everyone knows it, do the research.
What's a bad play call? One that has high statistical chances of failure.
What's a good play call? One that has high statistical chances of success.

All teams have stats on play yields for every down and distance charted.

All teams have opponents tendencies charted and coordinators make calls based on these tendencies.

Atlanta had this play sniffed right from the formation. The saftey made the play because he anticipated the pass, because he knew the call.

Bad play.

Here's a good play.

Knowing our own tendencies, i.e. 70%pass out of the R-n-R formation, we actually RUN the ball. How about that? A play that counters our tendency and serves to our strength and talent?

Duhhhhhhhh.

We lost the game. The evidence is found in the results.

Deal with it.

Hey MR DUUUHHHH!

My point is hindsight is 20/20/
grow up!
And actually read my post

And to add to your post... all the reasons you took so much time to painfully explain are THE ABSOLUTELY MOST OBVIOUS REASONS WHY YOU RUN THE BALL!!. SO BASIC AND SIMPLE.
Now with that in mind...I can understand why they called that call. i didnt say anywhere it was a great call. YOU'RE NOT READING MY POSTS!.
i JUST SAID I UNDERSTAND IT...For all the reasons you dont.

Back
Top Bottom