I like Saban, but... | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

I like Saban, but...

Superself said:
Its not bread and butter. Look at the past 3 weeks worth of failed attempts at 3rd downs and I wonder how McMike came to that conclusion.

If we ran it twice and did not get it, I would be happy that we attempted to use our strength and not get cute when it mattered. Using plays that have a high probability of success is what its all about IMO.

It may not be bread and butter to you.. But when MCMICHAEL SAYS IT IS... I'll take his word over yours

flintsilver7 said:
Fair enough. But I'm telling you right now if we had run the ball twice and didn't get it I wouldn't be second guessing him.

Ok, and I am willing to believe that you wouldnt.

But from what I read on this site, I suspect enough fellow posters would come out of the woodwork and say:

"how can you run back to back running plays and fail to pick up the first down. How can you successfully complete a short pass on 1st and 2nd down, then run the ball not only on 3rd down, but follow it up on 4th down as well............blah, blah, blah. The entire stadium knew they were going to run it on 4th down. How can the coaches 22-23 of them not know that the Falcons didnt know they were going to run it. Where is the play action, where is the short crossing route. Saban says he agreed with Linehan on back to back runs on 3rd and 4th down. Man he is making excuses."

Its normal for this type of second quessing...its results based-only. But it doesnt change anything.

Canadianfishfan said:
I TOTALLY AGREE...Sometimes i wonder if people here watch the same interviews I do. Saban Has never made an excuse for anything or anyone. Some people just want saban to call players out... or make panick moves like benching someone for someone worse.
You hit the nail on the head my friend.

Exactly. Wandstadt was the king of panic. He changed fiedler for feeley after a half of football and then put feidler back in the next game. Is that what we want Saban to do? Wadstadt got bashed for it and so will saban if sage turns out to be worst than frerrotte. I say if we get to the point where we can't make the playoffs then you make a chage but as of now you just can't

phinfreak said:
Ok, so your thinking is....

"...they think we're gonna throw so we'll run the ball, but wait, they probably know that we know that they know we're gonna throw the ball, so they think we'll run the ball, but hey, lets confuse them and not run the ball that'll really cross them up..."

Please tell us you're not coaching little leaguers.

Hey if you want predictable football.. Wanny is coaching pit.

Canadianfishfan said:
It may not be bread and butter to you.. But when MCMICHAEL SAYS IT IS... I'll take his word over yours

How can it be bread and butter when our 3rd down conversion rate is below 40%!!

You are going to just blindly believe a player without checking stuff out for yourself? McMike is not going to blast his own team....cmon you know that right??

3-2-ATL22 (4:43) R.Brown left tackle to ATL 21 for 1 yard (K.Brooking; D.Williams).
4-1-ATL21 (4:12) R.Brown right tackle to ATL 16 for 5 yards (D.Williams).

That was on the series before gus threw a pick. So the OC did give it to R&R in a big situation. Now what is wrong with trying to go PA pass when on the last 3&2 you ran it?

Superself said:

You are going to just blindly believe a player without checking stuff out for yourself? McMike is not going to blast his own team....cmon you know that right??

What does 3rd down conversions have to do with how often they use the play. ever think they may actually call on 1st or 2nd downs.
Your changing the subject.
its easy for you to criticise something that didnt work. And if we scored you'd be happy. Can you see my point. If we ran twice and then we didnt get it then what? what would you complain about then?

Superself said:

Well then tell us how many times have we called that specific play and what were the results. I mean you have 'checked it out' yourself right. You wouldn't be siting other sources unless you have checked it out for yourself. You would have to know those numbers since you know its not a bread and butter play. And it can be a bread and butter play and not be ran only on 3rd down.

So go ahead and give us the play name and the numbers on it. Please.

mbmonk said:
3-2-ATL22 (4:43) R.Brown left tackle to ATL 21 for 1 yard (K.Brooking; D.Williams).
4-1-ATL21 (4:12) R.Brown right tackle to ATL 16 for 5 yards (D.Williams).

That was on the series before gus threw a pick. So the OC did give it to R&R in a big situation. Now what is wrong with trying to go PA pass when on the last 3&2 you ran it?

Lets see...maybe because you threw twice before? Maybe you're taking the strength of the offense away and placing it in the hands of the weakest link?
Maybe because you have obvious tendencies....and aren't smart enough to realize them....8-9 times when Ronnie and Ricky are on the field together...the Dolphins have thrown the football. If Linehan really wanted to fool the defense he should have called a reverse....now that would be shocking!!

mbmonk said:
Well then tell us how many times have we called that specific play and what were the results. I mean you have 'checked it out' yourself right. You wouldn't be siting other sources unless you have checked it out for yourself. You would have to know those numbers since you know its not a bread and butter play. And it can be a bread and butter play and not be ran only on 3rd down.

So go ahead and give us the play name and the numbers on it. Please.

You look it up.

Canadianfishfan said:
What does 3rd down conversions have to do with how often they use the play. ever think they may actually call on 1st or 2nd downs.
Your changing the subject.
its easy for you to criticise something that didnt work. And if we scored you'd be happy. Can you see my point. If we ran twice and then we didnt get it then what? what would you complain about then?

Sure I would be happy with the result. The play call still would have been a bad one.
Our tendencies were also too blatant during our passing plays. Everyone talked about that. Who is to blame for that?

i have zero problem with the playaction... i think the problem was the formation... if we would have had barnes at fullback with ronnie back there the PA would have worked much better...

we got caught in a situation with the pony packiage where the defense recognized the tendency for that to be a pass formation and were prepared... if anything that was the error on that play... not the fact that we called a play action...

arsenal said:
i have zero problem with the playaction... i think the problem was the formation... if we would have had barnes at fullback with ronnie back there the PA would have worked much better...

we got caught in a situation with the pony packiage where the defense recognized the tendency for that to be a pass formation and were prepared... if anything that was the error on that play... not the fact that we called a play action...

What is going on with that tendency to not run them from a formation with them both lined up in the backfield?

Can we move on

This won't be settled here...

But I promise you we'll be back here next week discussing the consistent predicatbility of our offensive play calling, not sticking with the run, blitzing too much, and another slew of missed opportunities.

The call was Bad because it not only didn't get us the first down, it got PICKED!

The result is the evidence that it was a bad call. A good call would have been one that worked, regardless of the play.

Lets end it there. Noone can say it was a good call simply because it resulted in a turnover at a crucial game time situation.

Now...on to New England...

Miami recieved the kick.

1st down at our own 28 yard line.

What's the call?

Back
Top Bottom