I See Three Probable Options At Qb. | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

I See Three Probable Options At Qb.

Ray R

Club Member
Reaction score
I don't have any insight as to what the new coaching staff is looking for in a QB, but I do have an opinion as to who is likely to be available.

Option #1: Use one of the 5 QB's that are currently on the roster. It adds no more expense and does not use up draft picks or cap space. Let the coaches determine which of those five QB's they want. It is likely that RT will be the best QB of the five we now have.

Option #2: Release Ryan Tannehill. It looks like we are going to be parting with him anyway, so if we do not keep him for one more year and cut him now, then we open up more cap space. We are not likely to find our QB in this draft, so use the front end of the draft to address our other areas of need. If we get a QB the coaches like near the end of the draft, we don't really lose any meaningful position of need upgrades.

Option #3: Release RT and get Rosen in free agency. He won't be that expensive. The possible advantage for us would be that his attitude may change after the rookie season he had along with the ignobility of being traded after his first year. We let some other team pay the price of his less then stellar production and do the dirty work of waking him up to the reality of the NFL in that he is not the hot short he thought he was. He may bloom in Miami.

Ray! Rosen isn't a free agent. He's still under contract and since he's still on his rookie deal as a first rounder, Arizona would have to eat a lot of dead cap to trade him.

I see one probable option at QB for the Fins. They will have someone under center during week one.

I keep seeing people talk about Osweiller, Fales and company as potential QBs.

Both Osweiller and Fales are UFAs. I really don’t expect either one of them back.

I think Miami waives Ryan Tannehill before the start of FA

That leaves Ruddock and Falk.

You also have to trade for Rosen and I have to believe it will require your 2nd rounder.

I think there are 3 realistic scenarios.

1. I do think Rosen is in play and trading for him is certainly an option if #13 is off the table. Arizona hasn’t come to that realization yet . . .they eventually will. Obviously the other hold up is them not tipping their hand on Murray . . . .if that interest is even genuine. But if Rosen is in play, I expect Miami to be a front runner.

2. Pick up a backup/fill in starter type like Fitzpatrick, Teddy or Tyrod Taylor and also draft a guy on day 2 or 3 of the draft.

3. Become enamored with one of the top guys this draft (Murray, Haskins, etc.) and make moves to acquire them.

Last edited:
A couple of things. First, forget about a 2nd round pick for Rosen. Arizona has no leverage here and they'll most likely have to settle for a 3rd round pick. Would we want Rosen? I heard the FO last year which Grier was a part of did not like Rosen but that might not be true. If Flores and the coaching staff likes him then they could offer a 3rd for him since he's on a very cheap rookie contract so why not.

Tannehill has to go. There's no real reason to keep him at this point so he's not an option(at least not a good one)

I keep seeing people talk about Osweiller, Fales and company as potential QBs.

Both Osweiller and Fales are UFAs. I really don’t expect either one of them back.

I think Miami waives Ryan Tannehill before the start of FA

That leaves Ruddock and Falk.

You also have to trade for Rosen and I have to believe it will require your 2nd rounder.

I think there are 3 realistic scenarios.

1. I do think Rosen is in play and trading for him is certainly an option if #13 is off the table. Arizona hasn’t come to that realization yet . . .they eventually will. Obviously the other hold up is them not tipping their hand on Murray . . . .if that interest is even genuine. But if Rosen is in play, I expect Miami to be a front runner.

2. Pick up a backup/fill in starter type like Fitzpatrick, Teddy or Tyrod Taylor and also draft a guy on day 2 or 3 of the draft.

3. Become enamored with one of the top guys this draft (Murray, Haskins, etc.) and make moves to acquire them.

Don’t get the logic on #2. Why pick up any of those guys while cutting Tannehill? Cutting Tannehill is gonna cost 13 million in dead cap to cut but saves you 13 million. Signing any one of those guys is gonna cost 10-13 million and you probably get a worse qb and save nothing. It’s either you keep Tannehill or you cut and go with someone cheap. If you’re not going cheap in an attempt to save money then why cut him?

You keep Tannehill if you want to take him into trading camp with the intention of dealing him later.

A couple of things. First, forget about a 2nd round pick for Rosen. Arizona has no leverage here and they'll most likely have to settle for a 3rd round pick. Would we want Rosen? I heard the FO last year which Grier was a part of did not like Rosen but that might not be true. If Flores and the coaching staff likes him then they could offer a 3rd for him since he's on a very cheap rookie contract so why not.

Tannehill has to go. There's no real reason to keep him at this point so he's not an option(at least not a good one)

No leverage? Their leverage is a team needing the services of a young QB that went top 10 a year ago and having the ability to say no and keep him if the offer they get is not up to their liking.

Why would they take on a $8 million dollar cap hit and settle for a third when they can keep him on as a quality backup for 3 years and $6 million total.

They cut Mike Glennon, even if they draft Murray they need a backup . . . .Rosen fits that perfectly and wouldn't require anything.

People keep assuming there will be some troubled lockerroom or something yet there is no proof of any of that.

Arizona laughs you off the phone if you offer a third . . . .as they should. Experts who say “they would give a third for Josh” haven’t thought this through.

Arizona isn’t calling teams desperate like Miami is calling teams on Ryan Tannehill . . . .they hold the cards, if you want Rosen you need to come decent.

Don’t get the logic on #2. Why pick up any of those guys while cutting Tannehill? Cutting Tannehill is gonna cost 13 million in dead cap to cut but saves you 13 million. Signing any one of those guys is gonna cost 10-13 million and you probably get a worse qb and save nothing. It’s either you keep Tannehill or you cut and go with someone cheap. If you’re not going cheap in an attempt to save money then why cut him?

Tannehill costs Miami $19 million this year in actual money.

So even getting Tyrod or somebody for $10 million, you are saving half of the salary and giving your organization a fresh start away from Ryan Tannehill . . . .who lets face it, who knows what condition this guy is in . . . .but the guy at the end of the season was not better than any of the 3 QBs I mentioned.

Once again, cutting Tannehill saves 13.1 million this year AND 5.6 million next year.

Cut all QBs on roster, except Rudock as fourth string.
Restructure Tannehill as a backup, vet.
Move up, draft Lock. Sign Gilbert. Cut fourth string in August.

Once again, cutting Tannehill saves 13.1 million this year AND 5.6 million next year.

You can save the 5 million next year by cutting him then too, saving 13 million is useless if we just replace it with another bum qb. If we are going to save then save and use it to get a new player or extend Howard don’t just throw it away.

For some reason, Idk why, but I feel the Giants roll with Eli and pass on Haskins and we make a move.

No way Arizona keeps Rosen if they take Murray.

1) Their skill sets are completely different. Rosen is a pure dropback passer with iffy mobility. If Arizona changes their offense for Murray, Rosen will be a fish out of water.

2) locker room, locker room, locker room.

Back
Top Bottom