"I think the Miami Dolphins blew this." - Chris Mortensen regarding Flynn | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

"I think the Miami Dolphins blew this." - Chris Mortensen regarding Flynn

The price Ireland and Philbin offered him was as a backup who could compete, not starter money. That tells me all I need to know about what Philbin believes about him being a full time starter.

I love the sig. Go Cats!

The price Ireland and Philbin offered him was as a backup who could compete, not starter money. That tells me all I need to know about what Philbin believes about him being a full time starter.

There is no philbin and Ireland offered him a price. If a price was offered it was offered by Ireland.

There is no philbin and Ireland offered him a price. If a price was offered it was offered by Ireland.
....which was made with input from Philbin.

---------- Post added at 10:50 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:48 PM ----------

I love the sig. Go Cats!

Love your sig also. I have been sweating this division title since they blew that 3-0 lead against the Jets. So glad to see them get the Division tonight. Now the fun really begins with the Devils coming to town.

The fact that we were bidding with seattle and made an offer for his services tells you that 1. we wanted him. and 2. if we got him, we would have considered our QB situation taken care of.

Your logic is failing. Otherwise you could say, "The fact that we made an offer for David Garrards services tells you that 1. we wanted him and 2. in getting him we consider our QB situation taken care of." We didn't offer Flynn a boatload more money than Garrard, so it's obvious they don't value Flynn a whole heck of a lot more. There was exactly 1 qb that the front office thought they could sign in the off-season and take care of our QB situation for sure and that was Manning. After that they clearly felt like everybody else wasn't a huge upgrade over Moore, and as such didn't warrant more than $4 million per. That's chump change for a QB. If you are offering that to ANY QB you are NOT sold that they are the future for you at QB. As important as it is to not be cheap about signing guys that are worth the big bucks, it's even more important to not sign guys for more than they are worth. Just look at Washington for an example of where that gets you. If Flynn ends up being a franchise QB elsewhere it's Philbins job that's on the line. If he thought Flynn was a top 8 QB in this league we would have paid him the farm.

True, but you have to think if Philbin was REALLY sold on him, the offer would have been enough to get him here. Not just backup money.

Maybe. But with the way it unfolded, to me something is rotten in the state of Denmark and I won't make assumptions on either side in regards to what really happenened

I'm not quite sure what to even think about this whole situation.

The fact that we were bidding with seattle and made an offer for his services tells you that 1. we wanted him. and 2. if we got him, we would have considered our QB situation taken care of.

What i take issue with, is if we believed even for a second that he would be the answer to our QB issues... you don't get outbid.. especially when the final price wasn't steep by any means. If you don't think Flynn is the answer, who gives a crap what the media thought... that Flynn and Philbin would be perfect blah blah blah. if we didnt think he was the answer, you dont make an offer at all.

But if you make an offer, you think hes the answer, then you dont let him walk out the door.. especially when all the signs seemed to point in our favor.
Seattle got him and they still don't view their QB situation solved. In fact they are looking at quarterbacks in the first round. What does that say about their new QB addition?

"I think the Miami Dolphins blew this. Joe Philbin is the Dolphins head coach, he knows how good Matt Flynn is. I think he wanted Matt Flynn. I think they low bid him, I think the Seahawks stole him. They stole him for a very good price"

http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcwest/post/_/id/62169/video-roundtable-on-seahawks-matt-flynn

Have to admit I'm still hurt over losing Flynn. Every analyst I've heard seems to be convinced he's the real deal. A starter and potential franchise quarterback. IMHO, I agree, we blew it badly!

There are too many "I thinks" followed by an opinion that doesn't make much sense. They trust Philbin to bring in as a head coach, but when it comes to a player Philbin believes could be a franchise QB they're going to low ball him? I don't buy it. What makes more sense is that Philbin knows about Flynn's limitations and doesn't think he can be trusted to be the QB to invest in and make the Dolphins a contending team.

it tells me they are playing the qbs in the draft up to find somebody dumb enough to trade up to their spot, should a prospect fall to them...

they won't be picking a qb... I am pretty certain of that. if they do look me up, and I will make a huge post about stupid I am for thinking that they were trying to play 31 other nfl teams....

Maybe. But with the way it unfolded, to me something is rotten in the state of Denmark and I won't make assumptions on either side in regards to what really happenened

Ross has already come out and said him and ireland are the ones who decide how much money is offered. No matter what philbin said, they werent going to offer an unproven 8 mil a year. And thats what it came down 2, but oh well, matt moore played well last season, with some better coaching who knows, something to be excited about atleast.

I'm not quite sure what to even think about this whole situation.

What i take issue with, is if we believed even for a second that he would be the answer to our QB issues... you don't get outbid.. especially when the final price wasn't steep by any means. If you don't think Flynn is the answer, who gives a crap what the media thought... that Flynn and Philbin would be perfect blah blah blah. if we didnt think he was the answer, you dont make an offer at all.

But if you make an offer, you think hes the answer, then you dont let him walk out the door.. especially when all the signs seemed to point in our favor.

You're assuming too much. Just because they made an offer, and apparently not much of an offer, doesn't mean they're sold on him being the franchise QB. I got my hopes up on Flynn, keeping in mind if Philbin wanted him then we should get him, but it should be Philbin's call. But even if they brought in Flynn, I was hoping they'd bring in a QB in the first 3 rounds and hope one of them pans out. If anything, just goes to show how inexact finding a QB is.

it tells me they are playing the qbs in the draft up to find somebody dumb enough to trade up to their spot, should a prospect fall to them...

they won't be picking a qb... I am pretty certain of that. if they do look me up, and I will make a huge post about stupid I am for thinking that they were trying to play 31 other nfl teams....

I dunno. Seattle was very much in love with Tannehill just as much as we supposedly are before signing Flynn. Like, their media was expecting Seattle to do everything they could to trade up ahead of us for Tannehill. It's not like they made a huge financial commitment to Flynn either.

As for this being just an Ireland decision. You don't get players the head coach doesn't want, and you don't ignore what your coach wants either.

Back
Top Bottom