"I think the Miami Dolphins blew this." - Chris Mortensen regarding Flynn | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

"I think the Miami Dolphins blew this." - Chris Mortensen regarding Flynn

It was pretty obvious from Philbin's comments in his interview that he wanted Flynn, worked hard to get him here and expected him to be a Dolphin

Three possibilities

1) Ross wasn't going to part with the money even though it wasn't much to part with for a starting QB
2) Flynn simply preferred Seattle
3) Ireland got the negotiations wrong

On this occasion I'm happy that for whatever reason we couldn't make it happen since I see Flynn as an upgrade but not a solution

It was pretty obvious from Philbin's comments in his interview that he wanted Flynn, worked hard to get him here and expected him to be a Dolphin

Three possibilities

1) Ross wasn't going to part with the money even though it wasn't much to part with for a starting QB
2) Flynn simply preferred Seattle
3) Ireland got the negotiations wrong

On this occasion I'm happy that for whatever reason we couldn't make it happen since I see Flynn as an upgrade but not a solution

The funny thing is that a lot of people completely refuse to acknowledge number 2 as a legitimate possibility. I keep hearing that if we wanted him we would have him. While that may be true, to completely dismiss the possibility that he just preferred Seattle is an extremely dolphin-centric point of view.

we lowballed him. that was the tweet of the day. end of story.

we really didnt want to pay him all that money. if you call that "messing up", so be it.

The guy was making pennies behind rogers, how is the hell you're going to low bid a quarterback with 2 starts in cleanup duty, he doesn't have an extensive resume of success, i agree with the fins if he wanted to be here he would've, please stop pretending this guy is peyton manning, his name is Flynn.

Makes no different what issue is the dolphins are always going to be the talk.

Not if there was a disconnect between Ireland and Philbin in terms of his relative value. Ireland probably thought he could get him for cheap based on his limited starting experience and it blew up in his face.

Speculation

Last edited by a moderator:
Ireland has married our 2012 season to Matt Moore. We all better get used to that.

Thankfully that guarantees us with another losing season, Ireland will finally pay for his myriad of inept moves and overall douchery.

So in your opinion Matt Flynn is the great QB we needed to take us all the way or are you just jumping on the 'bash Ireland over everything' bandwagon?

"I think the Miami Dolphins blew this. Joe Philbin is the Dolphins head coach, he knows how good Matt Flynn is. I think he wanted Matt Flynn. I think they low bid him, I think the Seahawks stole him. They stole him for a very good price"

http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcwest/post/_/id/62169/video-roundtable-on-seahawks-matt-flynn

Have to admit I'm still hurt over losing Flynn. Every analyst I've heard seems to be convinced he's the real deal. A starter and potential franchise quarterback. IMHO, I agree, we blew it badly!

:rolleyes2: :bobdole:

Ireland has married our 2012 season to Matt Moore. We all better get used to that.

Thankfully that guarantees us with another losing season, Ireland will finally pay for his myriad of inept moves and overall douchery.
Something else we should get used to is Ireland being the GM. Let's be real, his job is not in danger, "another losing season" doesn't mean he is getting fired. Instead of wasting another season rooting for "our" team to lose games, perhaps we should hope they win. A lot of fans spent 2011 cheering against them because they didn't like Sparano or were clinging to the false hope of drafting Andrew Luck. Hell, I have even seen one person already campaigning for the team to lose because of the false hope to get Matt Barkley. That fan is rooting against the team and hoping to lose games two years in a row now. That is a curious concern don't you agree? The Dolphins haven't even had the 2012 draft and people are hoping the team has the worst record in 2012. These same people that want to lose also are the loudest complainers when they do lose.

Whether you like Ireland or not, you should hope he succeeds because that means the Dolphins are succeeding. Isn't that all that matters?

Something else we should get used to is Ireland being the GM. Let's be real, his job is not in danger, "another losing season" doesn't mean he is getting fired. Instead of wasting another season rooting for "our" team to lose games, perhaps we should hope they win. A lot of fans spent 2011 cheering against them because they didn't like Sparano or were clinging to the false hope of drafting Andrew Luck. Hell, I have even seen one person already campaigning for the team to lose because of the false hope to get Matt Barkley. That fan is rooting against the team and hoping to lose games two years in a row now. That is a curious concern don't you agree? The Dolphins haven't even had the 2012 draft and people are hoping the team has the worst record in 2012. These same people that want to lose also are the loudest complainers when they do lose.

Whether you like Ireland or not, you should hope he succeeds because that means the Dolphins are succeeding. Isn't that all that matters?

You make some good points, however, the problem is not that those fans want us to lose games cause they don't like Ireland. They just don't feel that Ireland is the guy to lead our FO to glory days again.I don't blame him for everything but I also can't believe that some people here think he's so amazing either. I believe that we could do much better but I'm hoping he'll have a great draft this year.I'm not rooting for us to lose games but last year we won a few games towards the end that costed us draft position this year.Having said that, you don't build a winner by drafting first. You just need to have good drafts and so far Ireland has not have a single great draft since he's been here and to blame Parcells for that is stupid cause Ireland proved last year that he still believes in the same things that Parcells believes in. The prove is in his 1st pick last year when he took a center at 15. What does that tell you? Ireland still believed last year that you win by drafting big players first and is not worry about playmakers. Maybe he'll change that this year? I hope so.

Ozzy rules!!

"I think the Miami Dolphins blew this. Joe Philbin is the Dolphins head coach, he knows how good Matt Flynn is. I think he wanted Matt Flynn. I think they low bid him, I think the Seahawks stole him. They stole him for a very good price"

http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcwest/post/_/id/62169/video-roundtable-on-seahawks-matt-flynn

Have to admit I'm still hurt over losing Flynn. Every analyst I've heard seems to be convinced he's the real deal. A starter and potential franchise quarterback. IMHO, I agree, we blew it badly!

THREE "I thinks" in TWO sentences is all I need to know - Mort being Mort

If that's the way this franchise is run then we're screwed and I hope Ross will sell the Dolphins tomorrow! Let's say coach Philbin thinks Flynn is a franchise caliber QB (which I doubt he thinks) and he wants him badly but Ireland and Ross won't pay more than 4 million per year (for a potential franchise QB)? If I were coach Philbin and it happened like that I would have quit right away and run away from that organization as fast and far as I could. Bottom line: no way it happened like this.

Say what? Are you serious with this????

You know how many "Potential" "Franchise" QB's there are out there ROFLFMAO.

They should just act like pro athletes at a strip joint and throw million dollar bills at each and every "Potential" " Franchise" QB in the waiting.........

You make some good points, however, the problem is not that those fans want us to lose games cause they don't like Ireland. They just don't feel that Ireland is the guy to lead our FO to glory days again.I don't blame him for everything but I also can't believe that some people here think he's so amazing either. I believe that we could do much better but I'm hoping he'll have a great draft this year.I'm not rooting for us to lose games but last year we won a few games towards the end that costed us draft position this year.Having said that, you don't build a winner by drafting first. You just need to have good drafts and so far Ireland has not have a single great draft since he's been here and to blame Parcells for that is stupid cause Ireland proved last year that he still believes in the same things that Parcells believes in. The prove is in his 1st pick last year when he took a center at 15. What does that tell you? Ireland still believed last year that you win by drafting big players first and is not worry about playmakers. Maybe he'll change that this year? I hope so.

Ozzy rules!!

Pouncey was solid at #15 - wat does that tell you Danny?

I still go back to my original point.

Chris Mortensen, whether or not he is even close to being right, will never be called upon to defend this piece.

IF he is correct, then he's genius, if he isn't at all.... he's still genius. I need a G-damn job like that personally.

This is the deal with all the media "analysts". Their jobs are NEVER on the line whether they are right or wrong. That's why they tout some seventh-round draft pick who put up big numbers in two games at the end of the season with the most prolific offense in the league. That's why they tout questionable QB prospects as Top Five/Top Ten draft picks.

Ever notice how many failed NFL talent evaluators end up giving their opinions in the media? I'm thinking specifically of Charley Casserly and Matt Millen. Both of these guys contributed to their teams (Houston and Detroit respectively) being mired in the muck during their regimes, and only emerging after these guys got the boot.

funny thing is, no matter whether fans pulled for the team or against the team last year, they still sucked and had a losing season for the third year in a row. 800,000 fans across the nation all hoping and praying the dolphins will win, won't do **** if we have below average players out running around every week.

Ireland has done what exactly as a GM? Ireland has done what exactly in the nfl in general?? Ireland is an ex place kicker, born in texas. known for missing easy kicks and making difficult ones... landed a job in dallas as an "executive". you could say he did a fine job scouting in dallas, which I would agree with, but we all know who the GM is and we all know who has final say over the roster. a scout for kansas city for three years, that nobody ever talks about.....

he gets handed the job by parcells, did we even interview anybody else? I do not recall..
many forget that on sept 7 2010, ireland was given full control and parcells became a consultant...

ireland hasn't done a whole lot here that translated to success, thats not an opinion, thats a fact. I personally hope the team wins every week... I know that the probability of that happening is very slim, and even though I hope they win, I generally fully expect them to lose.

regardless of how people root for or against the team, it ultimately has no effect on the turnout of the game. we have basement bargain players out there competing against teams that reward players for performance. we have a few first rounders who get paid, and thats about it. IMO, things won't get better until we start putting more of an emphasis on getting GOOD FOOTBALL PLAYERS in here, and not a guy who holds a spot down because we lowballed him, or needed a roster spot filled.

true the phins haven't even had the 2012 draft yet... what about our last two drafts since irleand supposedly got full control, has given anybody reason to get jacked up for the draft process???? odrick?? pouncey??

there just hasn't been much about this guy, that gets people excited. thats why you have fans with a bad taste in their mouth openly hoping for losses. until he gets some balls and starts drafting playmakers and impact players, instead of rotational DL, and centers with first round picks, we're gonna have long seasons....

---------- Post added at 08:15 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:14 AM ----------

This is the deal with all the media "analysts". Their jobs are NEVER on the line whether they are right or wrong. That's why they tout some seventh-round draft pick who put up big numbers in two games at the end of the season with the most prolific offense in the league. That's why they tout questionable QB prospects as Top Five/Top Ten draft picks.

Ever notice how many failed NFL talent evaluators end up giving their opinions in the media? I'm thinking specifically of Charley Casserly and Matt Millen. Both of these guys contributed to their teams (Houston and Detroit respectively) being mired in the muck during their regimes, and only emerging after these guys got the boot.

good maybe we'll see ireland on nfl network in 2013.....

Back
Top Bottom