"I think the Miami Dolphins blew this." - Chris Mortensen regarding Flynn | Page 6 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

"I think the Miami Dolphins blew this." - Chris Mortensen regarding Flynn

[/COLOR]I wish people here would stop being so negative all the time, let's see what happens in the draft and the rest of FA before making harsh judgements. Ireland has found some talented players in the past...let him do his job and keep getting this team some talent to get us in the play offs.

To further that, Ireland drafted 14 players in the last two drafts. All but two of those draftees played meaningful minutes last year. He has enough early picks this year to solidify the Fins roster. This draft will make him or break him in my opinion. While he has had draft success to a degree, he hasn't hit on any star players. He needs to do that if the Dolphins are going to take the step from mediocrity to perennial playoff contender.

I definately would have takend ryan kerrigan, phil taylor, nate solder and prince amukamara over pouncey... and I may have even taken johnathon baldwin and costanzo as well. I liked adrian clayborn for sure, I thought he was a top ten pick. hell, mark ingram would have been better value at 15 than a center...

i liked stephen wisniewksi better than and I still like him better now... and he's just as versatile as pouncey, in fact I think he played guard all of last year and helped pave the way to a major rushing attack. I have to admit, that I knew a lot more about stephen though, being from big ten country and seeing him play more often...

the biggest difference in the two, is pouncey was taken a full round ahead of stephen. I'd be curious when the last time a center was taken with a top fifteen pick....

You can spin it anyway you want which, if we had grabbed Flynn, with an over-priced contract you would be one of the first on here telling everyone what a clueless FO we have paying big money to a backup QB with two starts.

yeah buddy...thats what i would do...difference between me and you is i understand the salary cap and how little $10 mil is on a qb who could in fact be the answer...he may not be...but so damn what...the price is the price of doing business for a potential long term starter in free agency...why you guys can't understand that you can get out of that contract will little going forward past 2012 cap wise risk is beyond me...seattle protected themselves in that contract...and all this he's gonna compete with tavaris jackson is just to keep jackson a good soldier...you don't give flynn that contract unless you want and envision him as your starting qb in 2012...i don't care what they are saying to the public...read the tea leaves .

we'd be better off right now with flynn in house for 2012 and able to use that top 10 pick on a player that warrants it...only way that changes is if this tannehill thing comes up roses which we likely won't have any idea about during this upcoming season...just great...

instead we got a top 10 pick that we have to wait on any damn return on...hows that any better than giving flynn a one year run??? it's not...the only people that are gonna suffer here are the fans...

there's no spin here by the way...we've painted ourselves into a corner here...trying to justify a top 10 pick on a prospect that doesn't warrant it due to need...or deciding on a gonna be 29 year old rookie qb who needs time to learn to play our system...just great...and par for the damn course around here

and you guys lap this **** up with a spoon...

yeah buddy...thats what i would do...difference between me and you is i understand the salary cap andhow little $10 mil is on a qb who could in fact be the answer...he may not be...but so damn what...the price is the price of doing business for a potential long term starter in free agency...why you guys can't understand that you can get out of that contract will little going forward past 2012 cap wise risk is beyond me...seattle protected themselves in that contract...and all this he's gonna compete with tavaris jackson is just to keep jackson a good soldier...you don't give flynn that contract unless you want and envision him as your starting qb in 2012...i don't care what they are saying to the public...read the tea leaves .

we'd be better off right now with flynn in house for 2012 and able to use that top 10 pick on a player that warrants it...only way that changes is if this tannehill thing comes up roses which we likely won't have any idea about during this upcoming season...just great...

instead we got a top 10 pick that we have to wait on any damn return on...hows that any better than giving flynn a one year run??? it's not...the only people that are gonna suffer here are the fans...
You don't think Philbin knows the answer to that question?

lol, good one Chris, Flynn is going to be a franchise QB with that noodle arm? Really? We made the right move, it's not even a debate. If Flynn was such a sought after commodity, then why did only two effing NFL teams try to aquire him, and both with low ball offers? Seattle didn't give him franchise money, they don't even think he's a franchise QB. Where were the other 30 teams? Nobody wanted this guy. . .Chris is an idiot.

Exactly, all the experts say the Dolphins low balled Flynn, not one person has said that they did the right thing for not over-paying a guy with two career starts ala the Seahawks. Maybe the front office thought they could find a guy in the draft who is cheaper and just as good or better than Flynn...someone like Tannehill or Weeden.

Everybody says "unproven" and only 2 games.. but take a look at those 2 games. These aren't preseason but important regular games against playoff-caliber teams. Starting with a debut against the Patriots on the road, in a national game.:

"Backup QB Matt Flynn hung with MVP candidate Tom Brady for much of the game. You could argue Flynn outplayed Brady as he completed 24-of-37 passes for 251 yards and three touchdowns while Brady went 15-of-24 for 163 yards and two touchdowns."

"Getting the start in place of Aaron Rodgers (rest), Matt Flynn completed 31-of-44 passes for 480 yards, six touchdowns, and an interception as the Packers defeated the Lions 45-41 in Week 17."

Add to that Flynn has been behind, studying one the greatest QBS in the game on an elite franchise for the past 4 years. Easily worth several million right there. That to me, massively trumps any value Tannehill or Weeden could possibly have. That seems like worthwhile risk in my opinion - you need to open your pockets and pull the damn trigger! Drafting a QB is a much slower gamble with no immediate impact likely. The difference from rebuild mode (expect 2-3 more losing seasons) vs. we want to compete now.

Everybody says "unproven" and only 2 games.. but take a look at those 2 games. These aren't preseason but important regular games against playoff-caliber teams. Starting with a debut against the Patriots on the road, in a national game.:

"Backup QB Matt Flynn hung with MVP candidate Tom Brady for much of the game. You could argue Flynn outplayed Brady as he completed 24-of-37 passes for 251 yards and three touchdowns while Brady went 15-of-24 for 163 yards and two touchdowns."

"Getting the start in place of Aaron Rodgers (rest), Matt Flynn completed 31-of-44 passes for 480 yards, six touchdowns, and an interception as the Packers defeated the Lions 45-41 in Week 17."

Add to that Flynn has been behind, studying one the greatest QBS in the game on an elite franchise for the past 4 years. Easily worth several million right there. That to me, massively trumps any value Tannehill or Weeden could possibly have. That seems like worthwhile risk in my opinion - you need to open your pockets and pull the damn trigger! Drafting a QB is a much slower gamble with no immediate impact likely. The difference from rebuild mode (expect 2-3 more losing seasons) vs. we want to compete now.

Why did Seattle give him such a low ball offer then if they thought so highly of him? Did they lock him up long term? Did they give him franchise money? use your brain, where was the rest of the league? In a QB starved league , if Flynn was actually any good, their would've been a bidding war, instead we had an anti-bidding war where the offers were actually going down. What does that tell you?

Flynn will start against us next year so we will get to see just how good he is or NOT. Ireland has yet to draft a starting QB in his whole career. This is his first real job as a GM. Before he was a good scout. He has one year left to get us some players that can win games by putting points on the Board either throwing, catching, or thru turnovers.

Our Defense lacks turnovers. Our offense cant score in the redzone. Our highest WR number of TDs last year was 6. If you ask me that adds up to not a very good job of GMing.

To further that, Ireland drafted 14 players in the last two drafts. All but two of those draftees played meaningful minutes last year. He has enough early picks this year to solidify the Fins roster. This draft will make him or break him in my opinion. While he has had draft success to a degree, he hasn't hit on any star players. He needs to do that if the Dolphins are going to take the step from mediocrity to perennial playoff contender.

2010 may have actually been his worst job he'll ever do, if indeed we are giving him credit for the last two drafts... instead of drafting ryan matthews, earl thomas, jpp, brandon graham, or dez bryant, we trade back and take jared odrick. than with the pick we accumulated, we take koa misi... instead of sean lee, or taylor mays... we missed out twice on safetys to replace an aging yeremiah bell, and now we cut bell and replace him with hot garbage...

take edds in the fourth, expect him to contribute right away than he gets hurt... and than we cut him??? I've still never understood the hurry to cut him. I thought he could have contributed, and at the very least is better than austin spitler...

nolan carrol our next pick is more famous for sal alosi ordering a wall that tripped him than for anything he has done on the field...

i didnt' think much of the 2010 draft... odrick has played decent in his time last year. misi is junk, john jerry hasn't proven jack, edds is gone, nolan carrol is junk, spitler is junk, reshad jones is junk after being considered by some one of the top safety prospects of the draft, I think at one time he even thought he would be a first round pick...

spitler is on PS, and mccoy who was picked before spitler was cut.

what's there to get excited about that draft? last years wasn't much better , but that has been covered to death... so in 3-5 years, we have drafted absolutley no playmakers, or gamechangers on offense or defense..... that doesn't spell winning strategy in my opinion...

we pass on the game changing talent time and time again for lineman, and yet perhaps with the exception of the DL, we still don't have the OL even half figured out, you could argue there is 3 holes on that offense after 5 years. I think I read at one time we've been through like 51 offensive lineman, and we have two solid starters...

this year I am hoping for guys who can make a change on defense or offense... either a qb, WR, or a linebacker/edge rusher..

yeah buddy...thats what i would do...difference between me and you is i understand the salary cap and how little $10 mil is on a qb who could in fact be the answer...he may not be...but so damn what...the price is the price of doing business for a potential long term starter in free agency...why you guys can't understand that you can get out of that contract will little going forward past 2012 cap wise risk is beyond me...seattle protected themselves in that contract...and all this he's gonna compete with tavaris jackson is just to keep jackson a good soldier...you don't give flynn that contract unless you want and envision him as your starting qb in 2012...i don't care what they are saying to the public...read the tea leaves .

We'd be better off right now with flynn in house for 2012 and able to use that top 10 pick on a player that warrants it...only way that changes is if this tannehill thing comes up roses which we likely won't have any idea about during this upcoming season...just great...

Instead we got a top 10 pick that we have to wait on any damn return on...hows that any better than giving flynn a one year run??? It's not...the only people that are gonna suffer here are the fans...

There's no spin here by the way...we've painted ourselves into a corner here...trying to justify a top 10 pick on a prospect that doesn't warrant it due to need...or deciding on a gonna be 29 year old rookie qb who needs time to learn to play our system...just great...and par for the damn course around here
and you guys lap this **** up with a spoon...

yahtzee!!!

sure he's solid... but he was a center at 15... thats horrible value. absolutely horrible value...

i know your not suggesting we build our team around a center, but damn....

I can think of one other center in recent memory drafted in the first round... and it's nick mangold... 14 picks after we drafted ours....

pouncey was taken to solidify the OL... we were the worst weve ever been in recent memory in pass protection... I'd have much rather had ryan kerrigan to pair up with cam wake...

we'll see how this year goes...

I think you need to pay more attention. Your Pouncey's brother -- Marquise? -- was a Pro Bowler as a rookie center in 2010 I think with Pitt. He was the Steeler's first rounder that year. He was injured at least part of last year IIRC.

In 2009 two centers went in the first round: Alex Mack and Eric Wood. Mack made the Pro Bowl last season. Wood was put at RG for a while by the Bills previous regime but was moved back to center in 2010. He got hurt about mid-season in 2011, and was a big reason that the Bills OL went from bad to worse.

The thing about having a good center is that most fans like you don't even know your team has one or how important he is to the offense until he gets hurt and the manure hits the fan.

sure he's solid... but he was a center at 15... thats horrible value. absolutely horrible value...

i know your not suggesting we build our team around a center, but damn....

I can think of one other center in recent memory drafted in the first round... and it's nick mangold... 14 picks after we drafted ours....

pouncey was taken to solidify the OL... we were the worst weve ever been in recent memory in pass protection... I'd have much rather had ryan kerrigan to pair up with cam wake...

we'll see how this year goes...

what about maurkice pouncey to the steelers at (i believe) pick #18?

At the beginning of this offseason, Ross publicly declared that he was leading the search for the Dolphins new head coach. After lengthy discussions, which no doubt included some reflections on quarterbacks, he selects Philbin.

He follows this up by stating in the press that solving the QB problem in Miami is at the top of the organization's agenda, which Ireland parrots.

Fans in Miami have been waiting 10+ years for the Dolphins to land a QB that they can be comfortable with.

So we are supposed to believe that, despite the criticality of Flynn to the hopes and prayers of the Miami Dolphins fans, coaching staff, and owner, that Jeff Ireland refused to offer Matt Flynn a reasonable sum of money???

You can believe that, but then you would have to believe that Stephen Ross has already got Jeff Ireland's walking papers written up, because that would be gross insubordination. Either that or gross incompetence. Either way, it would be impossible for Ross to ignore, regardless of how fond he was to Jeff Ireland up to this point.

I find that difficult to believe. Ireland may or may not be a good GM, but I'm sure he values his job too much to go totally rogue on the organization, which is basically what Mortenson is accusing him of.

whats low ball about 3 years $26 mil $10 mil guaranteed to flynn??? it's not...seattle protected themselves in that contract but also paid him good money the next 3 years if he proves to be a franchise qb...at the end of year 3 or even 2 they could extend him for the future at even better money...again if he proves worth it

low ball is bringing flynn in knowing he has already been to seattle and knowing per flynns agent what his value wise on the street is and then offering him backup qb money ie $4 mil per and expecting his familiarity with the o and head coach in house to sway him...when a kids coming off a 7th round rookie contract for damn peanuts...thats low ball

How people come up with the idea that our first year HC is doing Ireland's job is beyond me. That is the reason (at least one of the reasons) Fisher didn't take the job. Coach Philbin has publicly stated he isn't involved in the $$$ of contract negotiations. Philbin also was calling Flynn when the Manning chase was going on letting Flynn know Miami was interested and Flynn was flown in right away for a visit. Philbin also admits to calling him afterwords and said they were "aggressive" in going after Flynn. The one area Miami wasn't aggressive in was in contract negotiations...which is IRELAND's job!

The difference between Seattle and Miami front office...Seattle signs Flynn for 3 year $26 million ($10 million guaranteed) and is still $18 million under the cap. Whereas, Miami whiffs on Flynn and still has to cut the leading tackler last year in order to get to $6 million under the cap to add depth and sign draft picks.

Back
Top Bottom