"I think the Miami Dolphins blew this." - Chris Mortensen regarding Flynn | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

"I think the Miami Dolphins blew this." - Chris Mortensen regarding Flynn

THREE "I thinks" in TWO sentences is all I need to know - Mort being Mort

Well at least hes putting up the possibility that a myriad of things might of taken place and he's acknowledging that it's just his opinion of what happened.

I compare that to this which is being ballyhooed around here. That its a FACT that philbin and Ireland had in depth conversations about Flynn. It's a fact that philbin told Ireland that Flynn wasn't the guy. It's a fact that Ireland took well into account philibins recommendation. It's a fact based on philibins analysis that Ireland lowballed him and it's a fact that all things being equal, Flynn would of picked Miami over Seattle.

Pouncey was solid at #15 - wat does that tell you Danny?

sure he's solid... but he was a center at 15... thats horrible value. absolutely horrible value...

i know your not suggesting we build our team around a center, but damn....

I can think of one other center in recent memory drafted in the first round... and it's nick mangold... 14 picks after we drafted ours....

pouncey was taken to solidify the OL... we were the worst weve ever been in recent memory in pass protection... I'd have much rather had ryan kerrigan to pair up with cam wake...

we'll see how this year goes...

sorry but it the head coach wanted him that bad he gets him, philbin didnt want his job on the line with flynn

Pouncey was solid at #15 - wat does that tell you Danny?
well, it tells me that if what you want at 15 is a "solid" center, is no wonder why this team is as bad as it has been........You do know that we took Stevenson in round 2, right?......after Saban took a safety at 16 you'd think that Ireland wouldn't make the mistake of drafting a position you don't draft that early. You need playmakers in the top half of round one. Can you imagine this......is superbowl sunday and The Dolphins are in it......and now ladys and gents, running into the field the guy that has carry this team to the superbowl for GB, at QB, Aaron Rodgers..........now running into the field the face of the team for the Dolphins, the guy that made some many plays all year long.......lets hear it now for the center?........look, I like Pouncy and believe he will be a good player for us for year but when you need playmakers you don't take a center at 15.

Ozzy rules!!

sure he's solid... but he was a center at 15... thats horrible value. absolutely horrible value...

i know your not suggesting we build our team around a center, but damn....

I can think of one other center in recent memory drafted in the first round... and it's nick mangold... 14 picks after we drafted ours....

pouncey was taken to solidify the OL... we were the worst weve ever been in recent memory in pass protection... I'd have much rather had ryan kerrigan to pair up with cam wake...

we'll see how this year goes...

Agree and its why a couple months ago, ive done a complete 180 on my opinion of Ireland. Up until recently ive actually used the Pouncey pick in terms of defending Ireland. I look at it now as a negative. Is Pouncey a good player? Yes, hes a very good player. One of the best at his position. But thats not the point. Its the value of having a top center compared to having a top player at any other position.

Another poster(i think it was thewalrus) put it best in saying that the difference between having the best center in the league compared to having the 15th best center is minimal compared to say having the best WR, QB, DE, OLB, CB or FS compared to having the 15th best player at said position. I would say that besides special teams, the center position might be the least impactful position on the field. We could draft Ray Guy incarnate but that still doesnt make it a good selection in the middle of round 1 and i would say a center has much closer the impact of a punter than it does to a QB. Like i said. Theres a world of a difference in having the best qb in the league compared to the 15th best. Thats having an Aaron Rodgers over a Andy Dalton.
And thats why i dont like the Pouncey pick now. It was safe and no matter how good Pouncey is, hes still a center and wasting a top half first round pick on him was foolish IMO.

Theres a big difference between having the best center in the game and having Revis, Patrick Willis, Aaron Rodgers, Adrian Peterson, Megatron etc.....

Let me put it this way. If you had a choice between getting a rookie Dwight Stephenson(argueably the best center ever) or lets say(and i wont even pick a top 5 qb today) a rookie Philip RIvers, who would you take?

Last edited by a moderator:
Agree and its why a couple months ago, ive done a complete 180 on my opinion of Ireland. Up until recently ive actually used the Pouncey pick in terms of defending Ireland. I look at it now as a negative. Is Pouncey a good player? Yes, hes a very good player. One of the best at his position. But thats not the point. Its the value of having a top center compared to having a top player at any other position.

Who would you have taken at 15 last year that would have fit for us then, and at the time not been a reach at 15? I'm not being a smartass. Just asking a question. Only player I see is Prince Amukamara or maybe one of the OT's. Have any those tackles contributed nearly as much as Pouncy has for us?

like Vaark said, flynn is philbin's boy. he had to bring him in out of respect, friendship, loyalty, what have you. as far as paying him like a starter when philbin wasn't sure he could beat out matt moore? not happening.

hard to believe people really think things go this way in this cutthroat nfl business...pretty naive if you ask me...philbin already said he has no imput into whats offered in a contract...flynn doesn't make the trip here if philbin doesn't believe he can help us...its ireland that wasn't on the same page...but you want to help yourself in the pr dept don't bring a guy in and make him a low ball offer...if you're a non believer jeff ireland don't bring him in...you're just adding smoke to the fire of you being an ***hole gm to work with...

anyways...i know one thing...had we just ponied up that not cap killing $10 mil guaranteed flynn would be here right now and would have the run in 2012 and we could use our top pick on another position top 10 bpa like a kuechly or a decastro or even a floyd or a need pick like a coples as a 43 de but instead
we're stuck here going into the draft trying to talk ourselves into what at best was considered a late 1st round qb prospect prior to the postseason eval process and per charley casserly who talked to 12 different front office personnel in january an early 2nd round prospect in the top 10 and a guy who likely can't help us in 2012...essentially the optimism for this year at the position is null...you're all fools if you think this david garrard or matt moore in a wco thing is gonna come up roses...best case this teams another .500 football team and likely not even that...

this pass on flynn decision essentially has thrown away competing in 2012...tannehills not ready everyone and their mother says the kid needs to sit for a year had flynn come here under those contract terms we could have gotten out after 2012 easily if we wanted to instead we likely go into 2013 draft (another one with likely high qb potential i might add) with an unknown quantity at the qb position and more questions than answers...

the best case scenario for us at this point is if tannehills the pick in the draft he shows early in camp and the preseason that he's ready to take the job so we at least as a fan base have something to look forward to each and every week...right now we don't...other than the meaningless win crowd...which those wins added up to a hill of beans

well, it tells me that if what you want at 15 is a "solid" center, is no wonder why this team is as bad as it has been........You do know that we took Stevenson in round 2, right?......after Saban took a safety at 16 you'd think that Ireland wouldn't make the mistake of drafting a position you don't draft that early. You need playmakers in the top half of round one. Can you imagine this......is superbowl sunday and The Dolphins are in it......and now ladys and gents, running into the field the guy that has carry this team to the superbowl for GB, at QB, Aaron Rodgers..........now running into the field the face of the team for the Dolphins, the guy that made some many plays all year long.......lets hear it now for the center?........look, I like Pouncy and believe he will be a good player for us for year but when you need playmakers you don't take a center at 15.

Ozzy rules!!

Have you taken a look at the next 10 players picked after Pouncey? It is real easy to say that you don't take a center at 15, but then who? Pouncey started every game at Center. Made all the line calls, as a rookie. DE Robert Quinn who was taken at #14 started 1 game last year for the RAMS. So the #14 pick could not start for maybe the worst team in the league. The #13 pick, Nick Farley, recently arrested for marijuana possession. When you actually look at it objectively, and compare it with real GM's not Madden GM's, you quickly realize that Pouncey was a good pick and that the complaints and criticism of Ireland rings hollow.

And if all these "NFl Analysts" were so sure that Matt Flynn will be a franchise QB, How come only 2 NFL Teams were vying for his services? Why wasn't Cleveland? Why wasn't KC? KC thought more of Matt Cassel and Brady Quinn then they did of Matt Flynn. It would appear Cleveland likes Colt McCoy better. Why is it only the Dolphins screwed up?

Another poster(i think it was thewalrus) put it best in saying that the difference between having the best center in the league compared to having the 15th best center is minimal compared to say having the best WR, QB, DE, OLB, CB or FS compared to having the 15th best player at said position. I would say that besides special teams, the center position might be the least impactful position on the field. We could draft Ray Guy incarnate but that still doesnt make it a good selection in the middle of round 1 and i would say a center has much closer the impact of a punter than it does to a QB. Like i said. Theres a world of a difference in having the best qb in the league compared to the 15th best. Thats having an Aaron Rodgers over a Andy Dalton.
And thats why i dont like the Pouncey pick now. It was safe and no matter how good Pouncey is, hes still a center and wasting a top half first round pick on him was foolish IMO.

Theres a big difference between having the best center in the game and having Revis, Patrick Willis, Aaron Rodgers, Adrian Peterson, Megatron etc.....

Let me put it this way. If you had a choice between getting a rookie Dwight Stephenson(argueably the best center ever) or lets say(and i wont even pick a top 5 qb today) a rookie Philip RIvers, who would you take?

Just to let you know that Pouncey was not drafted as just a center...He can play both guard positions aswell..Thats why he was taking were he went.

Now thats not to justify the pick at 15 but if we didnt take him he was gone with the next pick.I know for a fact that that Pittsburgh fans would not have been bummed with the pick.I still think/know hes was quality pick.

In last years draft theres only 2 players after Miami picked that i would want.

hard to believe people really think things go this way in this cutthroat nfl business...pretty naive if you ask me...philbin already said he has no imput into whats offered in a contract...flynn doesn't make the trip here if philbin doesn't believe he can help us...its ireland that wasn't on the same page...but you want to help yourself in the pr dept don't bring a guy in and make him a low ball offer...if you're a non believer jeff ireland don't bring him in...you're just adding smoke to the fire of you being an ***hole gm to work with...

anyways...i know one thing...had we just ponied up that not cap killing $10 mil guaranteed flynn would be here right now and would have the run in 2012 and we could use our top pick on another position top 10 bpa like a kuechly or a decastro or even a floyd or a need pick like a coples as a 43 de but instead
we're stuck here going into the draft trying to talk ourselves into what at best was considered a late 1st round qb prospect prior to the postseason eval process and per charley casserly who talked to 12 different front office personnel in january an early 2nd round prospect in the top 10 and a guy who likely can't help us in 2012...essentially the optimism for this year at the position is null...you're all fools if you think this david garrard or matt moore in a wco thing is gonna come up roses...best case this teams another .500 football team and likely not even that...

this pass on flynn decision essentially has thrown away competing in 2012...tannehills not ready everyone and their mother says the kid needs to sit for a year had flynn come here under those contract terms we could have gotten out after 2012 easily if we wanted to instead we likely go into 2013 draft (another one with likely high qb potential i might add) with an unknown quantity at the qb position and more questions than answers...

the best case scenario for us at this point is if tannehills the pick in the draft he shows early in camp and the preseason that he's ready to take the job so we at least as a fan base have something to look forward to each and every week...right now we don't...other than the meaningless win crowd...which those wins added up to a hill of beans

You can spin it anyway you want which, if we had grabbed Flynn, with an over-priced contract you would be one of the first on here telling everyone what a clueless FO we have paying big money to a backup QB with two starts.

They waited almost a week after free agency started and were the last of the only two teams to interview him. Then they offer half of what Seattle came up with. It doesn't sound like they thought Flynn was the answer. I'll go with what the owner said: if the coach really wanted him, he would be here.

And if all these "NFl Analysts" were so sure that Matt Flynn will be a franchise QB, How come only 2 NFL Teams were vying for his services? Why wasn't Cleveland? Why wasn't KC? KC thought more of Matt Cassel and Brady Quinn then they did of Matt Flynn. It would appear Cleveland likes Colt McCoy better. Why is it only the Dolphins screwed up?

And for all intents and purposes, one of the guys who knew him best didn't choose to hitch his HC career wagon to him. As I said before: in consideration of their time together, and to maybe help him jack up the Seattle offer, his ONLY legitimate offer, if possible, it was very likely a "Mercy Interview and going through the motions offer"

You can spin it anyway you want which, if we had grabbed Flynn, with an over-priced contract you would be one of the first on here telling everyone what a clueless FO we have paying big money to a backup QB with two starts.
Exactly, all the experts say the Dolphins low balled Flynn, not one person has said that they did the right thing for not over-paying a guy with two career starts ala the Seahawks. Maybe the front office thought they could find a guy in the draft who is cheaper and just as good or better than Flynn...someone like Tannehill or Weeden.

[/COLOR]I wish people here would stop being so negative all the time, let's see what happens in the draft and the rest of FA before making harsh judgements. Ireland has found some talented players in the past...let him do his job and keep getting this team some talent to get us in the play offs.

Back
Top Bottom