I would have rather had steve mcnair!!!! | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

I would have rather had steve mcnair!!!!

LoL This thread is prolly one of the worst threads i have ever seen, why in the world would we want mcnair of culpepp ???

fin1 said:
He's never completed a full season his entire career. Why would you want someone like that. That injured every week thing I'm sure was a tired subject in Tenn.

It's kind of hard to get to the super bowl without completing the season or being ready at the end of the season, so I'm not sure this is completely accurate.

McNair over Culpepper...no way.

The only argument you could try to force is which team made a better deal.

Miami giving up a 2nd this year for Daunte or Baltimore giving up a 4th next year.

I like DC's youth especially for what the vikings used the 2nd on......but only a 4th for a former MVP sounds sweet even if its only for 1 more (maybe 2 seasons).

finsgonewild said:
I am happy to finally have a good quarterback for the dolphins however I think that we should have gotten steven mcnair instead. we would have only had to have given up a 4th round pick to get him. That is a very good price considering the calibur of player he is. We had to give up a 2nd round pick for a quarterback who I am not sure is that much better than mcnair. It would have helped our team alot if we were able to have that pick this year. This has been the only real move that I dont agree with Saban with. Culpepper is a great quarterback but Mcnair is on the same level as he is. I know I may be in the minority for saying this. It just seems the dolphins did not get good value with this trade.

McNair is 33 and going into his 12th year in the NFL. Culpepper is 29 and starting his 8th year in the NFL. Advantage: MIAMI

The Ravens gave McNair a $11 million signing bonus. It is amortized over five years. Miami gave Culpepper a $7 million signing bonus that is amortized over seven years. Advantage: MIAMI

Culpepper averaged 517 Att, 336 Cmp, 4016 Yd, 27 TD, 15 Int over the last three years. His passer rating was 93.9 over that time period. McNair averaged 369 Att, 227 Cmp, 2659 Yd, 18 TD, 10 Int, and 88.3 passer rating over the same time period. Advantage: MIAMI

Both are great quarterbacks, but you have to factor age and money into the equation. While we gave up a higher draft pick, our return on investment will be significantly higher provided Culpepper stays healthy. If he didn't blow up his knee last year, we would have paid a much higher price to get him. Fortunately, every day that goes by the news about his knee gets better. In my opinion, we got a steal.

Why on earth give up a #4 to a guy that can't play a whole year without some catastrophic injury or another?

I have mad respect for Steve McNair, but there is no way on earth I would give a a 4th rounder to a guy whole, in all honesty, will probably not be in the NFL next year?

The right move was made.

Brese will not be the same after this shoulder injury, either.
Watch and wait.

The right decision was made.

finsgonewild said:
wow! I dont understand what the problem is for trading a 4th round pick for an MVP a few years ago

there's a reason the titans didn't want him training in their own compound. they didn't want him breaking his old bones. how long's he been in the league? how long has pepper been in? but hey, you're entitled to your own opinion. i guess everyone else on finheaven is wrong.:shakeno:

To go for a quarterback like McNair is saying that your team only has a small window of opportunity to go to the superbowl within two years (old). Trading for Culpepper is planning to have a quarterback that will give you multiple opportunities to go to the superbowl because he will be around for awhile(young gun). The last quarterback that gave us that kind of consistent opportunity is Dan Marino.

Someone should ask the Ravens board which qb they would rather have Daunte or McNair.

finsgonewild said:
I am happy to finally have a good quarterback for the dolphins however I think that we should have gotten steven mcnair instead. we would have only had to have given up a 4th round pick to get him. That is a very good price considering the calibur of player he is. We had to give up a 2nd round pick for a quarterback who I am not sure is that much better than mcnair. It would have helped our team alot if we were able to have that pick this year. This has been the only real move that I dont agree with Saban with. Culpepper is a great quarterback but Mcnair is on the same level as he is. I know I may be in the minority for saying this. It just seems the dolphins did not get good value with this trade.

You're in the minority because most of us realize that DC has the potential to be the man for at least 6-7 more years, whereas McNair has 2, at the most 3more seasons in him and that'll be all she wrote. At any rate, the big difference is that it is very likely that McNair will miss a few games or more this season because of being beaten up so much in Tenn. DC, even with this injury, is more durable...probably due to age and as you said, they have both proven to be high caliber QBs. I'll take the younger option, even with the injury....

Culpepper >> Harrington >> McNair.....well maybe.

Back
Top Bottom