IDK about garrard | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

IDK about garrard

Moore has had a better starting record on the partial seasons than those actual teams. He's far from perfect but 25 starts in does not make him an old timer or limit his ceiling as it does with a bad-back'd 34 year old Garrard who really hasn't outperformed Matt over the last several years on possibly stronger teams. MM also was the 4th most accurate long passer in the league last season. So there's that too.

I think some of the blowback on Moore is a result of his good play once he got his legs under him, standing in the way of the illusion of getting Luck. Some of the criticism is valid, but some of it isn't and speaks to either a residual love of Henne or resentment of his decent QB play by those locked onto luck. Would rather see him start than Garrard but (apparently unlike some others around here) will root strongly for whomever does get the job.

I think neither Moore or Garrard will ever lead this team anywhere important, so to worry to much about it is low priority for me.

Our future lies in the hands of Ryan Tannehill and his transition to the NFL game....period!

Moore has had a better starting record on the partial seasons than those actual teams. He's far from perfect but 25 starts in does not make him an old timer or limit his ceiling as it does with a bad-back'd 34 year old Garrard who really hasn't outperformed Matt over the last several years on possibly stronger teams. MM also was the 4th most accurate long passer in the league last season. So there's that too.I think some of the blowback on Moore is a result of his good play once he got his legs under him, standing in the way of the illusion of getting Luck. Some of the criticism is valid, but some of it isn't and speaks to either a residual love of Henne or resentment of his decent QB play by those locked onto luck. Would rather see him start than Garrard but (apparently unlike some others around here) will root strongly for whomever does get the job.
I like Matt Moore, and I have for some time. He's got some moxie to him, he's mobile and he has pretty good accuracy. But- I question his arm strength on a consistent basis, and I use that qualifier because while I have seen him throw some pretty decent ropes, I've also seen him throw many a pass that could use more juice on it. And more importantly, he has to prove that he's a difference maker and a crunch time Quarterback. Case in point the end of the Cowboys game/loss where he just disappeared- he has to step up in crunch time. Like I said, I like him.Garrard- darned good pickup and a solid arm, better than Moore's and better suited for the passes out to the flats. He's a good player- may the best man win in that competition. As to Tannehill- I sure hope that he comes around, but I still think that Brandon Weeden would have stepped in just fine from day one as he has done in Cleveland and he'll be good for at least 8 solid seasons as a starting QB sans injury. Dude has a stud arm, Cleveland loves him and Colt McCoy as predicted was RAPIDLY shown the door out. No surprise there. Weeden was a great pick imo- screw the age, he and Luck were 1A and 1B in my book and he's just what the doctor ordered for Cleveland. To get a QB of his caliber at #22 was a great deal for Cleveland, and they'll be set at QB in all likelihood until 2020. Can we say the same?

I think Garrard is the best QB on the roster when he is 100% healthy. The problem is that he might only be 90% now on his best day and the specter of a chronic back injury still looms. I think he will keep silent if he gets nicked up... to the teams detriment. Hopefully we can keep him protected.
Philbin may have to pull him off the field because he won't get off voluntarily. Garrard knows this probably his last chance to play.
I have full confidence in Matt Moore if Garrard struggles or gets hurt. He needs better protection too to eliminate the fumbles. I loved his long ball last year and I think he can thrive in the short passing WCO type offense. I believe he will play a lot of games this year.
Ryan T has a lot to prove, and is wet behind the ears green...plus he hasn't even signed his contract yet. If he holds out I will lose what little respect for him that I have now. He has nice physical tools..mobility, strong arm, vision, but he has to realize that he is not ready yet.

I didn't think Moore did too bad on his feet. He atleast can throw on the run and has a little quickness. I think Moore should get to keep his job. hes played with this team before. I dont see why they would change to an older mediocre Qb. I say name Moore the starter now, let Garrard be backup, sit Tannehill.

Why? Are you afraid Moore cannot beat , as you say, an older mediocre QB for the starting job?

Moore has had a better starting record on the partial seasons than those actual teams. He's far from perfect but 25 starts in does not make him an old timer or limit his ceiling as it does with a bad-back'd 34 year old Garrard who really hasn't outperformed Matt over the last several years on possibly stronger teams. MM also was the 4th most accurate long passer in the league last season. So there's that too.

I think some of the blowback on Moore is a result of his good play once he got his legs under him, standing in the way of the illusion of getting Luck. Some of the criticism is valid, but some of it isn't and speaks to either a residual love of Henne or resentment of his decent QB play by those locked onto luck. Would rather see him start than Garrard but (apparently unlike some others around here) will root strongly for whomever does get the job.

Moore's 26 pass completions of 25+ yards was impressive for someone who came to the party late. Unfortunately, it is Matt Moore's short ball accuracy, especially in crunch time, that was the issue.

We won't win games with the less than 200 yards passing Moore averaged, I don't care what his QBR is.

so let me get this straight.....the man is hating on garrard because his last season as a starter he had a 90+ qb rating. i LOVE this site and glad ive contributed to it finacially for post like this. reggie had a nice YPC last year i think we need to do ahead and give DT his job

I'm not even putting Tannehill in the equation for starting QB, he needs to sit for a year. But I'm torn between Garrard and Moore. Garrard reminds me of the pennington situation and you know what you will get with Garrard and thats solid and serviceable nfl QB play. Moore seems to be just scratching the surface with his talent and I think he has an upside, we will just have to see how it plays out during the preseason.

anybody who comes away happy with garrards stats over his career has issues....
anyone who watches garrard play and is happy with what he sees has issues...

sadly, hes still better than anything we got. buckle up and enjoy the ride

Moore or Garrard...doesn't really matter. This team is going 8-8...maybe 9-7 if they get extra bounces their way. I just hope Tannehill develops into a quality QB.

We won't win games with the less than 200 yards passing Moore averaged, I don't care what his QBR is.

You have to mention it was a run-first offense last year. You can't really compare Moore's passing yds in last year's offense to the WCO.

its amazing people think moore is a viable nfl starter...only in miami.

Why the anti-MOORE bias???

MOORE, in case you missed it, got here late in the preseason, was the back-up QB getting back-up QB's "reps" until HENNE went down, had an UNREADY HC, and had the farce of COLUMBO-CAREY to deal with. Despite all that, he won 6 of his last 9 games, and was the 12th best-rated QB in the NFL. And i/m/o, MIAMI should ALSO have beaten the PATRIOTS in GAME II, the GIANTS, DALLAS and DENVER. In all 4 of those instances, MIAMI lost by 3 or less points, and it was due to someone other-than-MOORE. MOORE's record rightly should have been 10-2, and would have been on any solid team other than MIAMI. COLUMBO-CAREY and Coach Pastapump were just too much to overcome. And the vaunted MIAMI "D", w/its suckola secondary, didn't exactly help much, either.

I have felt for a long time that MIAMI didn't need a QB at all: they already had an excellent QB in MOORE. Now, we hear a load of crap about MOORE and "practice". Too bad. So many players practice badly but excel on Sunday. And so many others look great in practice, but leave their "game" on the practice field. SPARANO didn't know the difference, i/m/o. And I'm afraid that PHILBIN might be the same way. LAWRENCE TAYLOR used to HATE practices, and preseason conditioning. SPARANO probably would have CUT HIM, and I fear so might PHILBIN. Say what you want about PARCELLS, HE DIDN'T.

I'm just getting a VERY bad feeling about all this. I'm afraid that MIAMI will lose MOORE to F/A next preseason, only to watch him excel elsewhere; and then be stuck w/an aging, has-been mediocrity who now has a built-in back issue, and a young man who is as likely to be a "bust" as he is to make it as a topshelf NFL QB. (At best, he's "green as grass"; at worst, he's really just a WR w/a good arm)

Last edited by a moderator:
but I still think that Brandon Weeden would have stepped in just fine from day one as he has done in Cleveland and he'll be good for at least 8 solid seasons as a starting QB sans injury. Dude has a stud arm, Cleveland loves him and Colt McCoy as predicted was RAPIDLY shown the door out. No surprise there. Weeden was a great pick imo- screw the age, he and Luck were 1A and 1B in my book and he's just what the doctor ordered for Cleveland. To get a QB of his caliber at #22 was a great deal for Cleveland, and they'll be set at QB in all likelihood until 2020. Can we say the same?

i liked weeden also and agree wtih the sentiment, seems like a great pick at #22,,,,, could be we're both wrong. I certainly have high hopes for tanny and honestly believe he can be an excellent qb in this league also,, i just think weeden is gonna play from day one and play well where as tanny needs some time.

as for the moore/garrard "battle",, just put whichever guy shows to be the better player in this offense behind center.

Back
Top Bottom