If a Franchise Qb is there you take him. | Page 6 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

If a Franchise Qb is there you take him.

allred65 said:
Two words....Ryan Leaf.
:french:
True but Leaf was an a-hole. I cud also make argument that Braylon Edwards cud be a bust since Charles Rogers and David Terell played college in Michigan Area too. Of course runningback is the safest pick in the draft if you give the ball 400 times a season to Travis Minor hed probably get 1,000 yards. Look at the Broncos every back they have gets 1,000 yards.

I don't think it is wise to pick a older junior college transfer (Rodgers) who had one good yearover a more athletic, smarter and younger player who has proven he can win at a higher level for two years. Smith graduated from college in two years wrote offensive game plans and was completing his masters program until recently preparing himsel for the draft, you do the math. Rodgers fits the same mold as a Carr or Harrington, what have they done lately?

PeepinTom said:
I don't think it is wise to pick a older junior college transfer (Rodgers) who had one good yearover a more athletic, smarter and younger player who has proven he can win at a higher level for two years. Smith graduated from college in two years wrote offensive game plans and was completing his masters program until recently preparing himsel for the draft, you do the math. Rodgers fits the same mold as a Carr or Harrington, what have they done lately?

David Carr threw for 3531 yards with a 16-14 TD/Int ratio and a QB rating of 83.5 (1 int returned for a TD). Joey Harrington threw for 3047 yard with a 19-12 TD/Int ratio and a 77.5 QB rating (2 int's returned for TD's).

Both clearly outperformed AJ and are essentially right where they should be for 3rd year players.

Feeley threw for 1896 yards with a 11-15 TD/Int ratio and a 61.7 QB rating (5 int's returned for TD's).

Feeley's stats are atrocious and indefensible. You cannot reasonably expect a 28 year old four year veteran to improve on those numbers to the point where he is a pro-bowl caliber QB.

Due to Feeley's performance, QB is the greatest need on this football.

Shamboubou said:
So why exactly where the scouts standing and clapping at Smiths workout?? Oh yeah I forgot that happens at every overrated QB's workout. Its basically like this, we envy something we can have like the top QB's last year, then when we can have something all people do is talk about them being a bust. If we where picking like 15 or 18 then everybody would love to have Smith or Rodgers. Quit acting like these guys are no good, just cause we have the chance of getting them.
what?????English please

boon said:
They sed the samething about Jay Fiedler. :nono:
"he was drafted as a injured QB and placed as the 3rd stringer. As a 3rd stringer, you don't get much time to prove your self"

Why use a 2nd round pick on him then? Spielman is an idiot he shudda gotten sum1 with experience like Warner,Garcia or Collins instead he took a gamble on an unexperienced qb and it backfired on us :tsk:

That's the problem with most of you on this board. Warner, Garcia, or Collins were not available when we had to make a decision on a QB and Feeley was our best option at that time. This also shows your lack of experience by stating the Feeley trade has backfired on us. Feeley hasn't had the chance to prove him self consistently. Give him another year or two with a new system, RB, and an oline and you will see that the 2nd round pick given up for Feeley was worth it. Everyone has been spoiled by the greatness of "Marino", but you need to understand that era has passed and the odds of ever getting that type of quality QB is going to be rare. I think everyone expects Feeley to post Marino numbers and if he doesn't then get another QB....

FinAtic8480 said:
I dont understand why everyone wants to take a RB or WR. If Alex Smith is their why not take him.The kid is smart,and played some good ball for Utah he is also accurate and he has worked in offense similiar to what we have now.I would love Ronnie Brown, I would love Brylan edwards but if our staff sees potential in Alex Smith and they think he can be the next franchise Qb for our club why not take him.:shakeno:

I agree can anyone say Marino. Who we drafted after being in a super bowl with a mediocre Qb. And Danny didn't dissapoint us he took us to a Superbowl right away and started smashing passing records.

JohnDolphin73 said:
That's the problem with most of you on this board. Warner, Garcia, or Collins were not available when we had to make a decision on a QB and Feeley was our best option at that time. This also shows your lack of experience by stating the Feeley trade has backfired on us. Feeley hasn't had the chance to prove him self consistently. Give him another year or two with a new system, RB, and an oline and you will see that the 2nd round pick given up for Feeley was worth it. Everyone has been spoiled by the greatness of "Marino", but you need to understand that era has passed and the odds of ever getting that type of quality QB is going to be rare. I think everyone expects Feeley to post Marino numbers and if he doesn't then get another QB....

Why did we have to make a decision on a QB when we did? We ended up returning the incumbant who won the starting job in training camp.

As for Feeley, we cannot keep giving him chances. He has to prove his worthiness and quickly. We cannot accept babysteps of improvement with a 28 year old QB.

As for just going out and getting another QB if Feeley doesn't pan out...if only it were that easy?

I dont think any of us are willing to wait two more years for feely to shine. so, you are telling me you want feely to be 31 by the time he is a franchise qb.I dont care what anyone says AJ is another case of Fiedler. Heis a player with alot of heart but he doesnt have the atheletic gift a QB like Culpepper has.

Ronnie Brown could be a bust.RBs our not drafted so early and this is a draft filled at the RB position ,Brylan Edwards will have no one to get him the ball and could be a bust,Alex Smith could be a bust or could be a Franchise QB.

Alex SMith is a smart player,He is athletic,He is mobile,he is accurate and he has a deep ball.He would also be coming to coordinator whos made Qb's look better then what they are (im not knocking on culpepper).And if im not mistaken he has a relationship with linehan.And everything aside Saban has shown alot of interest in Smith with only one week away from the Draft theo nly player that has been back twice has been Smith not Edwards not Brown not Carnell,SMith.So to me if we stay at two we take Alex SMith

I know Collins, Garcia and Warner were not availible at the time thats were I think Spielman made an error in not waiting longer instead he was desperate and needed to make a move by not making playoff season before.
I wud be fine if Feeley or Ferrote were starting next season I just wanna set the facts straight that Collins,Griese,and Garcia were in similer situations by being on new teams having a bad o-line, bad running game, not playing a full season and they still played better than Feeley thats all :p
I do agree that a quaterback needs consitent playing time but I wud counter that by saying Joey Harrignton played all 16 games last year and showed little improvement and Patrick Ramsey has been with Redskins 3 years and still hasn't got it yet. QBs learn at a different rate than others as I recall Feeley sed Wanndstats book was too complicated thats where Alex Smith comes into play because he is probably smartest qb in draft, young and already familear with Linehan I believe he wud be a better prospect to groom

thepoolboy said:
David Carr threw for 3531 yards with a 16-14 TD/Int ratio and a QB rating of 83.5 (1 int returned for a TD). Joey Harrington threw for 3047 yard with a 19-12 TD/Int ratio and a 77.5 QB rating (2 int's returned for TD's).

Both clearly outperformed AJ and are essentially right where they should be for 3rd year players.

Feeley threw for 1896 yards with a 11-15 TD/Int ratio and a 61.7 QB rating (5 int's returned for TD's).

Feeley's stats are atrocious and indefensible. You cannot reasonably expect a 28 year old four year veteran to improve on those numbers to the point where he is a pro-bowl caliber QB.

You should change your name to The STATboy. Course you cant differenciate all teh factors that go into making stats. but hey there is hope.

*rubs eye's in disbelief

I must be too tired. The wurds are looking all dumb.

Anyway... IF Smith were available to Miami and Saban chooses not to take him. IF Smith were to play this year and be effective (not even great just effective for his team) and IF Feeley tanks again this year, THEN Saban had better hope Frerotte bails him out or he can pick Leinart next year.

thepoolboy said:

werd

personally i like smith and i think he is the best QB in the draft. just my two cents. due to the strong interest coming the Tampa, miami is probably going to tell everyone before the draft that they are taking smith. i wont be surpise if smith is taken at 2 and then traded to tampa. another possible situation for tampa is to get smith without trading with miami (maybe he will fall to 5). picks 2,3, and 4 could all be RB/WR.

as for freely, i would take a chance on him again if no sweet deals comes in play for the #2 pick. many players on the team last year did not play well, and i am sure it was probably really hard for a 1st player to do well. everyone thinks just because we traded our 2nd round does not mean that he is just going to come in and do amazing things his first year. not too many QB can go into a bad situation and still shine.

just my two cents. and hello everyone i am new to the forum! :-)

FinAtic8480 said:
I dont understand why everyone wants to take a RB or WR. If Alex Smith is their why not take him.The kid is smart,and played some good ball for Utah he is also accurate and he has worked in offense similiar to what we have now.I would love Ronnie Brown, I would love Brylan edwards but if our staff sees potential in Alex Smith and they think he can be the next franchise Qb for our club why not take him.

:shakeno:

Your absolutely right, he didn't just play good ball at Utah, he played great ball.

This kid will only get better and better.

BlueFin said:
Your absolutely right, he didn't just play good ball at Utah, he played great ball.

This kid will only get better and better.

Yeap, just like Couch. ..........Oh wait isnt he out of football?

Back
Top Bottom