If a Franchise Qb is there you take him. | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

If a Franchise Qb is there you take him.

finsnchips said:
I agree with the franchise QB statement. We don't have one, and if you don't have one you don't pass him up.

These guys (rodgers and smith) are not in the league of culpepper, mcnabb, carr, manning, palmer, roethlisberger.

Smith would be tempting at #2, but not Rodgers.

Palmer?????:confused:

JAcK o D1AmonDs said:
because he is not the next franchise QB, we dont kno that, i think he will be a bust

:shakeno:
I'm from UTAH... The kid is walking talking highlight reel, with all the tools to succeed under Saban. Before last year, I never would have thought that my phin's could even have a shoot at him.

jlfin said:
That is an asinine thing to say. You have to build one piece at a time. Careers of QB's are generally longer than a RB's. What is the first thing an expansion team tries to do in their first draft? Find a young QB to build around.
Ronnie Brown will be a 24 year old rookie. I was on his bandwagon earlier, but now I don't think it is wise to use the 2nd overall pick on someone that age. Especially when you consider he wasn't a full time starter at Auburn.
When you have a lottery pick you have to pick the player with the least amount of blemishes and the player with the highest ceiling. That player is Alex Smith.

I think it's assinine to sit a three million dollar player on the bench.

Does your memory go back to when Carolina and jacksonville entered the league? What position did they draft in their first ever draft?...I'm pretty sure they both went for linemen.

When you pay a player number two money, you want that player on the field playing.

Alex Smith= Steve Walsh= Ken Dorsey

inFINSible said:
As in Carson

I know it was Carson Palmer. I just didn't think anyone would consider him a franchise QB. He's OK, but I think he is a second tier QB.

jlfin said:
I know it was Carson Palmer. I just didn't think anyone would consider him a franchise QB. He's OK, but I think he is a second tier QB.
That's interesting....So, let me get this straight, being a number one draft pick doesn't automatically make you a franchise QB??

A lot of people seem to think that.

I guess that means that Alex Smith might not be a franchise QB either. Considering Carson was more highly touted than Alex, that's a big red flag isn't it?

inFINSible said:
I think it's assinine to sit a three million dollar player on the bench.

Does your memory go back to when Carolina and jacksonville entered the league? What position did they draft in their first ever draft?...I'm pretty sure they both went for linemen.

When you pay a player number two money, you want that player on the field playing.

Alex Smith= Steve Walsh= Ken Dorsey

That was because there were no highly regarded QB prospects when they drafted. Most young QB's do have to sit a few years in order to develop (Marino was an exception). Given the choice I'm sure most GM's would build a team with a QB first, not an O-lineman. Very rarely will a rookie QB come right in a be a star. Elway was shaky his rookie year as was Peyton Manning. MOst coaches would rather let a rookie QB develop before throwing him to the wolves and risk getting his confidence shaken.So I guess by your logic a team should never invest an early draft pick on a QB.
I seem to remember a QB named Aikman who was drafted at the outset of Dallas' rebuilding process.

Carson Palmer is way better than Alex Smith.

Please bare in mind that Carson has only played one year, but he played well. He may not be in the class of Culpepper and Manning, yet.

If Carson is second tier then what is Smith, and more importantly what is Feeley??

inFINSible said:
That's interesting....So, let me get this straight, being a number one draft pick doesn't automatically make you a franchise QB??

A lot of people seem to think that.

I guess that means that Alex Smith might not be a franchise QB either. Considering Carson was more highly touted than Alex, that's a big red flag isn't it?

I don't recall that being the case. He was the top QB prospect that year, but I don't believe he was getting rave reviews either. There were mixed feelings about him. In fact, when discussing Tedford proteges I read several weeks ago that many scouts feel that Rodgers is a better prospect than Palmer was.

jlfin said:
That was because there were no highly regarded QB prospects when they drafted. Most young QB's do have to sit a few years in order to develop (Marino was an exception). Given the choice I'm sure most GM's would build a team with a QB first, not an O-lineman. Very rarely will a rookie QB come right in a be a star. Elway was shaky his rookie year as was Peyton Manning. MOst coaches would rather let a rookie QB develop before throwing him to the wolves and risk getting his confidence shaken.So I guess by your logic a team should never invest an early draft pick on a QB.
I seem to remember a QB named Aikman who was drafted at the outset of Dallas' rebuilding process.
If there was a QB with as little question marks as Troy Aikman had, I'd be stumbling all over myself draft him.
Obviously, there are exceptions to every rule, however I feel that neither of the top two QBs available in this draft are worthy of making that exception.

rafael said:
Did this happen in Philly too? His accuracy was haphazard there as well.

If I remember correctly, in Philly he played very well when called upon. He just happen to be stuck behind a franchise QB in McNabb. You have to remember how he came into the league, he was drafted as a injured QB and placed as the 3rd stringer. As a 3rd stringer, you don't get much time to prove your self. Feeley has very good accuracy and strength. His problem last year was a new system and a oline that didn't know what a block was. Feeley has the intangibles and the potential to be a franchise QB, he just needs to be given a chance. Determining how good Feeley is off of last years play is not fair, Marino would have looked horrible behind that line.

finsnchips said:
Carson Palmer is way better than Alex Smith.

Please bare in mind that Carson has only played one year, but he played well. He may not be in the class of Culpepper and Manning, yet.

If Carson is second tier then what is Smith, and more importantly what is Feeley??

You don't know that. BTW I'm not knocking Palmer, I believe that the jury is still out on him. He is not a franchise QB yet, but he could certainly change that in the next few years. Because, you see sometimes it takes 2-3 years of investing in a young player before you see any dividends. Even though they may suck up some of your salary cap for a few years.
I still stand by the argument that you get more value from an early pick by taking a QB.

jlfin said:
I don't recall that being the case. He was the top QB prospect that year, but I don't believe he was getting rave reviews either. There were mixed feelings about him. In fact, when discussing Tedford proteges I read several weeks ago that many scouts feel that Rodgers is a better prospect than Palmer was.
IIRC, he was signed sealed and delivered before the draft, that's a unanimous slam dunk BPA right there...That doesn't sound like there were many mixed reviews.

And that was 8 spots ahead of Byron Leftwich....

JohnDolphin73 said:
If I remember correctly, in Philly he played very well when called upon. He just happen to be stuck behind a franchise QB in McNabb. You have to remember how he came into the league, he was drafted as a injured QB and placed as the 3rd stringer. As a 3rd stringer, you don't get much time to prove your self. Feeley has very good accuracy and strength. His problem last year was a new system and a oline that didn't know what a block was. Feeley has the intangibles and the potential to be a franchise QB, he just needs to be given a chance. Determining how good Feeley is off of last years play is not fair, Marino would have looked horrible behind that line.

They sed the samething about Jay Fiedler. :nono:
"he was drafted as a injured QB and placed as the 3rd stringer. As a 3rd stringer, you don't get much time to prove your self"

Why use a 2nd round pick on him then? Spielman is an idiot he shudda gotten sum1 with experience like Warner,Garcia or Collins instead he took a gamble on an unexperienced qb and it backfired on us :tsk:

Back
Top Bottom