If a Franchise Qb is there you take him. | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

If a Franchise Qb is there you take him.

inFINSible said:
If there was a QB with as little question marks as Troy Aikman had, I'd be stumbling all over myself draft him.
Obviously, there are exceptions to every rule, however I feel that neither of the top two QBs available in this draft are worthy of making that exception.

Fair enough. But, you know, none of these RB's is anywhere close to Barry Sanders either (no. 3 overall). I just think you get more value at no. 2 with a QB. Braylon Edwards is a possibility,but I think Williamson(So. Carolina) has the potential to be just as good, perhaps even more explosive than Edwards.

With a franchise QB availible, of course you take him in our situation. That being said, the qb coach for cal (tedford i think is his name) has produced a few good college qb's that went high in the draft and were bust. As for smith, i am still worried he is a product of the system that Urban Myer had at Utah. I am not convinced he is the real deal. However, if our scouts and talent people come up with the answer he is the real thing, no doubt you take him in a heart beat and go from there. Solid qb's just dont grow on trees and you have to take them when availible, but be careful not to pick a bad apple (ryan leaf) or a bust!!!

JohnDolphin73 said:
If I remember correctly, in Philly he played very well when called upon. He just happen to be stuck behind a franchise QB in McNabb. You have to remember how he came into the league, he was drafted as a injured QB and placed as the 3rd stringer. As a 3rd stringer, you don't get much time to prove your self. Feeley has very good accuracy and strength. His problem last year was a new system and a oline that didn't know what a block was. Feeley has the intangibles and the potential to be a franchise QB, he just needs to be given a chance. Determining how good Feeley is off of last years play is not fair, Marino would have looked horrible behind that line.

Your memory is faulty. The team won several games against poor teams, but AJ had a low completion % and a high int rate. That was with a very good supporting cast. Of course he fared worse here. Building a team around him may not be enough. He may develop, but frankly the odds are poor. It's certainly nothing I would gamble my job on.

jlfin said:
Fair enough. But, you know, none of these RB's is anywhere close to Barry Sanders either (no. 3 overall). I just think you get more value at no. 2 with a QB. Braylon Edwards is a possibility,but I think Williamson(So. Carolina) has the potential to be just as good, perhaps even more explosive than Edwards.

No RB is anywhere close to Barry Sanders.

FinAtic8480 said:
I dont understand why everyone wants to take a RB or WR. If Alex Smith is their why not take him.The kid is smart,and played some good ball for Utah he is also accurate and he has worked in offense similiar to what we have now.I would love Ronnie Brown, I would love Brylan edwards but if our staff sees potential in Alex Smith and they think he can be the next franchise Qb for our club why not take him.

:shakeno:

Well Captain obvious if they think he is a franchise qb then they should take him. Smith being a franchise qb is what I question.

inFINSible said:
If there was a QB with as little question marks as Troy Aikman had, I'd be stumbling all over myself draft him.
Obviously, there are exceptions to every rule, however I feel that neither of the top two QBs available in this draft are worthy of making that exception.

That's a different argument. You may say that IYO these guys aren't franchise QBs, but there are certainly many teams who disagree. This happens with most QBs. In fact I remember people questioning Manning saying he was too mechanical. All this means is that you wouldn't draft them here. It doesn't mean that they are not as highly thought of by some NFL GMs as other past franchise QBs.

rafael said:
Your memory is faulty. The team won several games against poor teams, but AJ had a low completion % and a high int rate. That was with a very good supporting cast. Of course he fared worse here. Building a team around him may not be enough. He may develop, but frankly the odds are poor. It's certainly nothing I would gamble my job on.

Says who? You? The same person that wants to anooit Smith the second coming? Yet hasnt proved a dam thing in a pro style offense? That is the thing tho isnt it? You dont gamble your job on it, you are not considered an expert. Neither am I, before you go there. That is why I dont guarentee anything as you like to do. How do you KNOW the odds are bad? Dont use stats please, if you can only use stats, you dont have an argument.

rafael said:
That's a different argument. You may say that IYO these guys aren't franchise QBs, but there are certainly many teams who disagree. This happens with most QBs. In fact I remember people questioning Manning saying he was too mechanical. All this means is that you wouldn't draft them here. It doesn't mean that they are not as highly thought of by some NFL GMs as other past franchise QBs.

EVERY qb will have a knock, Marino had em, Elway, EVERYONE of them. The diff is teh what type of questions and were there varying opinions as to whether they were franchise qbs. Manning didnt have any, nor did Aikman. Not any that lead them to question being Top 2 pick. Paint it however you want, but there isnt a consensus among NFL people that he is a franchise qbs, some think he is, some think he isnt. I didnt hear one say that Manning wasnt worth a #1 overall.

finsnchips said:
These guys (rodgers and smith) are not in the league of culpepper, mcnabb, carr, manning, palmer, roethlisberger.

But Feeley is?

Peyton and Eli Manning, Daunte Culpepper and Donovan McNabb and Alex Smith is newest member to have a reebok deal.
Alex Smith is not in their league?

"Smith can expect national advertising campaigns, regional endorsements, trading card deals and media exposure all guaranteed by IMG to supplement what is soon to become a multimillion-dollar NFL contract."

Alex Smith's agency or watever will make sure he gets alot of media exposure. You always see Payton, Daunte and Mcnabb in commercials if we get Smith it wud put Fins back in spotlight. I wud be fine with anybody we draft though just saying it wudnt surprise me if fins got a qb with 1st pick :p

I agree you must take a franchise QB....Back in 1998 if you would have been on the Colts BB you would have seen the majority of people wanting the Colts to draft Wadsworth from FSU.....

The logic was the Colts already had an average QB (Harbaugh) who had a couple of above average years with the Colts so why not draft Wadsworth and stay with Harbaugh as QB......Well thank god Bill Polian didn't listen to the fans...The Colts took Manning and he has lead the Colts to the most sucess they have had in 30 years just not a SB victory yet....Where is Wadsworth???

Point is the Dolphins have an average QB now so the thinking is to draft another position....But you just don't pass on a future franchise QB....ANyone you draft can be a bust...A running back can blow out his leg in his first game...You must draft the franchise QB if he is there...

Good Luck..

Satchboogie

Satchboogie said:
I agree you must take a franchise QB....Back in 1998 if you would have been on the Colts BB you would have seen the majority of people wanting the Colts to draft Wadsworth from FSU.....

The logic was the Colts already had an average QB (Harbaugh) who had a couple of above average years with the Colts so why not draft Wadsworth and stay with Harbaugh as QB......Well thank god Bill Polian didn't listen to the fans...The Colts took Manning and he has lead the Colts to the most sucess they have had in 30 years just not a SB victory yet....Where is Wadsworth???

Point is the Dolphins have an average QB now so the thinking is to draft another position....But you just don't pass on a future franchise QB....ANyone you draft can be a bust...A running back can blow out his leg in his first game...You must draft the franchise QB if he is there...

Good Luck..

Satchboogie

You trying to say Smith is as good as Manning? Nobody knows if he is a franchise QB as everyone keeps calling him. How do you all know this so very well? I mean he hasn't played one down in the NFL yet and he is already a franchise QB?

If we pick any QB at #2, he better be starting. That's all I have to say, I don't want to fork over that money for someone to sit. The best way to learn is to play. Trial by fire.

FinAtic8480 said:
I dont understand why everyone wants to take a RB or WR. If Alex Smith is their why not take him.The kid is smart,and played some good ball for Utah he is also accurate and he has worked in offense similiar to what we have now.I would love Ronnie Brown, I would love Brylan edwards but if our staff sees potential in Alex Smith and they think he can be the next franchise Qb for our club why not take him.

Two words....Ryan Leaf.

FinAtic8480 said:

O.K. Here's why you don't take Smith in the first round. Smith played mostly in shotgun...he doesn't know how to play under the center....thats not only my opinion...it's an opinion by a few people that know more about football than ANY of us. Smith is only a junior...his experience isn't what you would want in a QB that a team would have to pay a kings ransom for....your talking about 13-15 mil easy just in a signing bonus....and for what...a kid that can't play NFL type football?
Just because Smith is "smart" doesn't make him a franchise QB...in fact there's plenty of QB's that have won superbowls that wasn't the smartest nut that fell from the tree. Fans get easily caught up in the hype and emotions of the draft....so do teams....teams reach and many times get burnt doing so...we don't need to get burnt again....Ricky was enough....lets pick players that we will be happy with...and won't have to look back.

Best value at 2 is with a QB. Any player in the draft can be a pro bowler or a bust. When San Fran drafted Montana in the second rd I bet they didn't expect a hall of fame career. Montana had questions about his arm strength. The Jets to this day are kicking themselves for picking Ken O'Brien over Marino.
No one knows for sure if Smith will be a franchise QB or just an average player. He will not be Ryan Leaf. Leaf's problems were mental, not physical. At the very least Smith seems to have a good head on his shoulders and he would be coming into a stable coaching environment.
Braylon Edwards could be another David Terrell, Ronnie Brown could be another Sammie Smith. Who knows?
If it's a wrong decision you move on. There is nothing else you can do.

jlfin said:
Best value at 2 is with a QB. Any player in the draft can be a pro bowler or a bust. When San Fran drafted Montana in the second rd I bet they didn't expect a hall of fame career. Montana had questions about his arm strength. The Jets to this day are kicking themselves for picking Ken O'Brien over Marino.
No one knows for sure if Smith will be a franchise QB or just an average player. He will not be Ryan Leaf. Leaf's problems were mental, not physical. At the very least Smith seems to have a good head on his shoulders and he would be coming into a stable coaching environment.
Braylon Edwards could be another David Terrell, Ronnie Brown could be another Sammie Smith. Who knows?
If it's a wrong decision you move on. There is nothing else you can do.

Sorry...I highly disagree....you don't invest cap money and a high draft choice on a player who isn't even ready to play in the NFL....especially when you don't have the picks or cap space to waste....just too many decent players in this draft...and the Dolphins have too many needs.

Back
Top Bottom