If Miami Dolphins Draft Baker Mayfield, Ryan Tannehill Is A Goner | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

If Miami Dolphins Draft Baker Mayfield, Ryan Tannehill Is A Goner

DKphin

Club Member
Reaction score
mes_4924.jpg

ESPN NFL Draft expert Todd McShay released his latest mock draft on Wednesday, and if he predictions come true, the Dolphins will be sending a clear message to Ryan Tannehill: Start looking for a good real estate agent, because your time in Miami is almost up. If McShay's prediction comes true and the Dolphins move from the eleventh overall spot to the six slot to draft Oklahoma quarterback Baker Mayfield later this month, the Fins current starting quarterback should use the 2018 season to audition for another NFL team. Because the 2018 season will only be about whether or not he's worth anything to another team in a trade before Miami cuts him.
http://www.miaminewtimes.com/news/i...r-mayfield-ryan-tannehill-is-a-goner-10234401

Yeah the idea would be to recoup the draft picks spent on Mayfield by trading Tannehill. I still will be stunned if Miami pulls this off.

Ryan is here for at least a year with the restructure he just did. We would not cut him and take on a -$12.6M cap hit. These people floor me sometimes.

While the New Times is generally best reserved for lining bird cages from what I've seen, this isn't an awful take. If the Fins DO pull a trigger on a move like this (and I don't think they do), it would be a nice problem to have if Tannehill continues the path he was on before he got injured.

While the New Times is generally best reserved for lining bird cages from what I've seen, this isn't an awful take. If the Fins DO pull a trigger on a move like this (and I don't think they do), it would be a nice problem to have if Tannehill continues the path he was on before he got injured.
Actually, this is the last thing I want to see happen if Ryan continues on the path he was on prior to injury.

Let's surround him with as much talent as possible, instead of squandering valuable draft assets on his potential replacement.

The draft can’t get here soon enough.
giphy.gif

This time of the year would be easier to bear if I had even the slightest hope that we wont **** up the draft.

They have already loaded up the next gms salary cap issues, I wonder how many of his picks they will trade away over the next few weeks?

Gase loves Tannehill (full stop PERIOD).

He came to Miami In part bc he LOVES Tannehill.

Gase thinks Tannehill is good enough for Gase to hang his star on him.

Tannehill has poor pocket presence so Gase’ love for him will not materialize a Super Bowl win.

We will draft a q.b later in the draft.

Rumor I heard, so take with a grain of salt: Multiple teams (2 were very interested) called about Tannehill and were told that he wasn't available. As in, Miami just wasn't interested in trading him, even though there was a good market. At the time, I took this to mean that his rehab was going very well and not much else.

However, in a hypothetical scenario in which Miami trades up to draft a quarterback, I have to think that would change immediately. You don't give up a draft ransom for a quarterback if you don't intend to hitch yourself to him.

As always, I have no idea what the team will do during the draft and I am very leery of smokescreens. But the premise of the article, "If Miami were to trade a draft ransom to draft a quarterback, Ryan Tannehill would likely be traded" seems very reasonable. Just like I think if Miami were to draft a quarterback in rounds 2-5, it would likely be as a backup/insurance policy.

As for what I personally HOPE will happen? Well, drafting a quarterback at 11 if the right guy is there is FINE, and I'd support that move. But I really don't want to see the team getting into the insane QB trade-up bidding war that's going on right now, especially not when there's prime defensive talent to be plucked off the board as the QBs rise to the top.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom