If next years draft was today | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

If next years draft was today

They got the top 5 recruit blanding playing free and Harris at strong...I saw Kendrick's yesterday he doesn't wow you with anything but he finds the football I just think he's a little bit limited athletically...saw the Ucf backer also yesterday and he's definitely limited athletically looks more 2 down

We'll see. Kendricks looks like a plus athlete to me.

If Lazor is still OC; I'd focus on offensice players from Auburn, Oregon, & Cal among others.

While I like Gurley, Artis-Payne from Auburn would be a better scheme fit.

As for positions... LB, OG, TE

We'll see. Kendricks looks like a plus athlete to me.

i definitely dont think plus but it may be good enough where with instincts he can overcome it...still i need more looks before i say if he's an every down guy...it's not like that uva offense was very intuitive or made him think much

this is a different subject but melvin gordon looks to me like he added a few pounds...arms are thicker...issue with his game for us is he doesnt catch the ball and i doubt i will see him pass protect much looking at this wisconsin o...that kids a legit talent though...for sure...the acceleration is filthy

i'm seeing an awful lot of power programs with bad starting qbs...an awful lot

i will be eye banging me some mike fit lbs and rbs this year i know that much...throw out the rbs dont have 1st round value in this coming class...bs they don't...miami just may have a real dandy one fall right in their laps...most classes i'm of the mindset no rbs in the first round...this isn't one of them...the top of this rb class is rare talent

just saw gordon get run down from behind in the open field...that wouldn't have happened last year...i have no doubts he's added some weight to run more inside and behind his pads...

Last edited by a moderator:
Melvin Gordon absolutely destroyed a free LSU blitzer on at least one occasion Saturday night. Textbook. I haven't had time to go back and study the game but it was such a great pickup by Gordon that you just couldn't forget it if you watched it.

Kendricks is a good enough athlete. ILB's the caliber of Patrick Willis, Luke Kuechly, Takeo Spikes, Brian Urlacher, etc. are rare. You're talking about special talents. The majority of ILB's starting in the NFL are more in the range of an Eric Kendricks or Denzel Perryman in this class.

Furthermore, a team like the Dolphins can't turn their nose up at much of anything considering what they trot out on the field every Sunday.

i dont disagree that miami shouldnt turn their nose up to anything i just don't know that i think they validate lets say top 20 grades cause they aren't the elite athletes that top 20 pick lbs would...i do think though that perryman has showed tonight as well as i have ever seen him...much more decisive

most these guys will have issues in man coverage...

right now kendricks looks the most fluid to me perryman they play a lot of zone and miami does also so that matters and he doesnt look bad he just isn't a fluid hip athlete in space...still this is the best i've seen from him...nice instinctual run fill on short yardage...

i still dont see yet a top 20 value mike fit lb though...with any of them...and if i had my choice i'd prefer that be the top pick fill...it's the glaring need on this team already was last year even...these look more like top 50 to 75 pick type stuff unless its a weak class...and i get the feeling this one may shake out as just that

A.J. Johnson is the only one I'd give a 1st round grade to. I've had one on him since he was a sophomore. He can play inside or outside.

I don't think anyone ever indicated that Kendricks or Perryman were worthy of a top 20 pick that I know of. They're more in the 2nd/3rd round range. One of em will have to run 4.5 in order to be a top 35 pick...which won't happen.

I was asked about what grade I had on Perryman a few weeks ago in my 2015 ILB thread. I had a 3rd round grade on him. What's interesting is that Jesse Palmer mentioned tonight that Perryman had submitted his paperwork last year and received a 3rd round grade. Imagine that...

Basically, I grade him in that range because of a lack of ideal height, and the value of the position unless you're a slam dunk 3 down player at ILB nowdays. It has nothing to do with ability. Perryman could always play. He's a better athlete and just as good of a college linebacker as Manti Te'o or James Laurinitais were.

teo was all hype...perrymans hips in deep zone drop and carying coverage down the seam are a problem...you are right none of these guys are gonna run 4.5...i think 50 to 75 is the range...even 2 down backers get drafted that high and he's a better athlete than many of them...i saw top 10 pick mock talk with perryman and i didnt say it was from you...that kids not gonna test well enough to validate a top 20 grade...he could also finish a little more on some things but i would agree off what i see tonight that would help us at mike

i think kendricks will also but i need to pay more attention to his reading his keys etc...

our lb core is the weakness on the team...none of these 2 deep late picks and udfas are gonna change it either cause they are lost off the los...tripp plays smart and he's the only one possibly but he's got a long ways to go also and i sure as hell wouldn't bet on it down the road becoming something...mccains lost off the los...the boards hyping guys with no instincts for the position...mccains only solid on the los and attacking and once he faces nfl starting caliber tackles at that weight he's gonna two step with them...you either overload or gap blitz that and hope he doesnt get caught in man coverage assignment wise

still we could work with what this team has in house if we just moved misi back to strong as a 2 down guy found a legit 3 down mike or a legit mike period even if he had issues in the sub package and started a wolb out of one of these young pups we got with potential...even if they don't project to be difference makers off the los

aj johnson is the athlete for sure that would validate a 1st round grade i just wonder if he's smart enough...i guess i will find that out cause he hasn't always played with great instincts

Last edited by a moderator:
this is a different subject but i think duke johnson is in for an awakening come draft day...like day 2 type stuff...his problem is his size...and while there's some durability concerns i think people will question if he's an every down back and can he play in pass pro...cause while i know he's a better talent he basically looks like leon washington coming out size wise with better vision and instincts...you can run him more inside but that's a small back...he doesnt try to play a scat back game and i like that but his size is well gonna be a serious topic of debate

Gordon and Gurley are two of the best backs that have came out in a while…both of those guys have elite talent. 1200 yd backs…consistently.

Gordon and Gurley are two of the best backs that have came out in a while…both of those guys have elite talent. 1200 yd backs…consistently.

the scary part is yeldon has better feet than any of them...that kids feet are rediculous...he just runs with a body lean that gives you a lot to hit...i still like him a lot though...

it's a special rb class

put clive walford on your miami targets list next year...he's not gonna block anyone but that's a pro tight end folks...we have a blocking tight end in dion sims walford can make plays down the field and is an athlete...i liked him last year i was told he's not this or that all i know is thats a pro...they said tonight he's 6 ft 6 and 260 and he moves like that??? count me in

just cause the canes aren't smart enough to use him more doesn't mean a pro oc won't

aj johnson is the athlete for sure that would validate a 1st round grade i just wonder if he's smart enough...i guess i will find that out cause he hasn't always played with great instincts

Johnson's issue isn't lack of instincts. It's that he's never been allowed to get comfortable in a defensive scheme, or under a coach. He's always been spread too thin at Tennessee in order to make up for shortcomings elsewhere.

He's moved back and forth from outside to inside. Had to learn an entirely new 3-4 defense with completely different responsibilities and communications before going back to 4-3 again.... at a different position... again. Couple that with the fact that as a sophomore, he was also the triggerman in Tennessee's Wildcat package on offense. Actually led the team in rushing TD's that year. That requires a lot of preparation on the opposite side of the ball no less. He's just been spread too thin his entire career because of how good of an athlete and football player he is.

If you watched him against Utah St. Sunday night... he's not thinking anymore. He's reacting and playing linebacker. Which allows him to play faster. The whole defense played faster because they're not thinking and learning about another new defense and another new scheme. He's also dynamic on special teams. He was outrunning DB's downfield to cover kicks. Was always the first to arrive and had bad intentions when he got there...forcing a fumble that let the Vols go up 14-0 early. Finished with 9 tackles, an INT, and a forced fumble.

If you pay attention to his body language, it's obvious if you've really studied him his entire career that he's playing with a certain confidence and swagger that he hasn't been able to before. Because he's comfortable now. Not spread too thin. Not learning a new scheme or new defense. The entire team feeds off his emotion and leadership. This kid is a great linebacker prospect and one of the best "football players" in the country. Forces turnovers. I think he's the total package this year in terms of linebackers.

Ameer Abdullah,(Neb.) and Tevin Coleman (Ind.) also looked good last week. Coleman has some speed, but I like the way he finishes his runs for his size. I still think Miami walks away with two backs in the 2015 draft.

I was impressed with RB Melvin Gordon and WR Rashad Greene. I also like RB Javorius Allen USC.

I could live with a combo draft of Tj Yeldon and Kenny Hillard, then keeping two of the current four running backs (Miller, Moreno, Williams, Darkwa).

Back
Top Bottom