If The Fins Are Going To "tank"...then Why Not *really* Tank? | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

If The Fins Are Going To "tank"...then Why Not *really* Tank?

I have no problems waiting for Lawrence. We'd be setup with a lot of young talent to build around him if we tanked the next 2 years.

If Murray was taller I'd be ok drafting but I just can't get behind a 5-9 guy being our franchise QB. I mean after all these years with all these different scrub QBs Murray is the guy you want to bank on?
I don't like the term "tank". It's a multi year plan to make the team more successful by simultaneously rectifying the cap issues, installing new systems/philosophy, and finding a top level QB. The timetable is fluid, depending upon circumstances.

As far as Lawrence, there are way too many variables for that to be a serious plan IMO.

The fact is, we would have been in better position now if we had gone 3-13 last season. Since we didn't, unless we use future picks to move up (which I'm not in favor of (maybe for Haskins))_ our choice is Murray, or next year.

I choose next year.

I'm also in favor up picking a guy later in the draft, like that kid from Buffalo, name escapes me at the moment. I looked into him a bit, and liked what I saw.

Totally understood. But this whole "tank" fad and social media platform is going to be horrible for our Fins long term.
This how teams like Cleveland go decades without a winning record.
The whole idea even if its not suggested to our coaches and players invites a losing culture.
Thats never what Miami has been about.
That culture is what seperates teams like (I hate to say it but) NE and almost the rest of the NFL.
Ive had the unfortunate experience being around lots of NEfans living up north and as stupid, non-football educated, and fake they are they always expected nothing short of a championship. They never rooted for their team to lose. Thats the culture that Belichick and Brady adopted from Shula. Miami needs this back.
They last thing they want to do is create a culture that says its OK to lose.
They might as well give each of their players participation trophies at the end of the year.

I understand what you’re saying. And I understand all of the sentiment behind the hate for losing. It’s not something I’m particularly fond of, either.

I just really hope we’re not looking back in 5-6 years, regretting a rebuild that took place one year too early.

I don't like the term "tank". It's a multi year plan to make the team more successful by simultaneously rectifying the cap issues, installing new systems/philosophy, and finding a top level QB. The timetable is fluid, depending upon circumstances.

I like your definition better, but it sure as hell is a lot easier to just say “tank.”

I like your definition better, but it sure as hell is a lot easier to just say “tank.”
I guess that why it became a commonplace term. The issue is that not everyone defines it the same way. There seems to be a common belief that it means the throwing of games by coordinated design by all individuals involved.

In reality while everyone are obsessed with Kyler Murray versus Tua Tagovailoa, the Miami Dolphins are looking at the question much more holistically and focusing on Justin Herbert, Jake Fromm, and even Jordan Love.

I doubt Trevor Lawrence is even in the picture because he's actually three years down the road, not two years down the road. You do not, cannot know whether he will come out early.

So they're thinking right now about Tua Tagovailoa, Justin Herbert, Jake Fromm, Jordan Love, Jacob Eason, Feleipe Franks, Cole McDonald, Josh Jackson, Sam Ehlinger, Nate Stanley, K.J. Costello, Steven Montez, maybe throw in Jake Bentley and Brian Lewerke, Khalil Tate, Blake Barnett, and Elijah Sindelar.

The Dolphins cannot take for granted that they're going to get a crack at Tua Tagovailoa because even if they execute a "managed decline" this off season there's probably less than a 1 in 10 chance they actually get a crack at Tagovailoa. So they will be looking at Justin Herbert versus Kyler Murray, mostly.

That's the question you all need to ask yourselves too. Would I rather have Justin Herbert or Kyler Murray?

Herbert's head coach is a huge Dolphins fan and has stated explicitly that he's getting Herbert ready for the Dolphins next year.

The carnage that will ensue if we draft Franks ... I'll murder everyone.

The carnage that will ensue if we draft Franks ... I'll murder everyone.
I suspect you are exaggerating for effect.

In any case, you can expect a visit from some FBI "suits" shortly.

I guess that why it became a commonplace term. The issue is that not everyone defines it the same way. There seems to be a common belief that it means the throwing of games by coordinated design by all individuals involved.

Understood. Again, I wouldn’t suggest it involves intentionally losing games. But completely tearing everything down and starting from ground zero, trading off all assets and bad cap; and rebuilding the lines first? That’s a year. Rebuilding skill positions? That’s a second year.

The only guy I can’t see any argument for trading is Tunsil, unless some team offers a ridiculous cache of picks.

You are right. The problem, as you know, is some seem to define 'tank' EXCLUSIVELY as dumping all in the FO and all but a "core" group of players. Get rid of EVERYONE else. Trading for as many '20 picks as possible and cutting cap ruthlessly to have $150mm in cap next year (I exaggerate), That definition is the debate and why many rebel at the word. None of us are saying none of that will be done, but not to the degree of a 'pure' tank. And, IMO, it isn't too much extra effort to write 'rebuild' instead of 'tank.'

No, I don't think anyone is arguing players are told to play half speed or miss tackles. I don't think the staff will intentionally call plays they know will fail. Even the tankers don't claim that.

Unfortunately, all fans will have to wait for hints. what FAs will be signed. Who will be traded/released/retained. Those answers will reveal a lot and give some insight to the draft. This year, more than any other, should temper the mocks that should show up soon.

Understood. Again, I wouldn’t suggest it involves intentionally losing games. But completely tearing everything down and starting from ground zero, trading off all assets and bad cap; and rebuilding the lines first? That’s a year. Rebuilding skill positions? That’s a second year.

The only guy I can’t see any argument for trading is Tunsil, unless some team offers a ridiculous cache of picks.
On the bright side (not) there isn't much left to tear down. Wake is the only player I feel any emotional attachment to whatsoever.

Yes, Tunsil stays, as that is a hard to replace cornerstone position, and I believe as good as he was, he hasn't yet peaked.

I mean just draft a damn QB.

Stop having a bare cupboard of youth at the position these past 7 years.

I thought the 2017 offseason was bad enough when you had nothing young behind 17 after an ACL injury . . . .but then to literally have the same thing happen in 2018 was a ****ing joke. You have the 11 pick and you allow all 4 QBs to go in front? Looking back on it I don’t even understand how that is possible.

Its one thing to not have conviction on a guy, but the Dolphins were irresponsibly content at QB in the Gase/Tannenbaum era.

As far as Lawrence, there are way too many variables for that to be a serious plan IMO.

The fact is, we would have been in better position now if we had gone 3-13 last season. Since we didn't, unless we use future picks to move up (which I'm not in favor of (maybe for Haskins))_ our choice is Murray, or next year.

I choose next year.

I'm also in favor up picking a guy later in the draft, like that kid from Buffalo, name escapes me at the moment. I looked into him a bit, and liked what I saw.
Exactly. We're not tanking, we're simply going to do things the way they are meant to be done instead trying to fix everything in one go. Dolphin fans need to understand it's a new way of doing things. Our past approach has been to make splashy moves to get the fan base excited. Just because we don't make those moves anymore doesn't mean we're not trying to win. We need to get used to the fact that less flashiness doesn't mean worse, it means better.

Back
Top Bottom