If we did trade up into the top three..... | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

If we did trade up into the top three.....

So we're just getting rid of Wade Smith? Unless you mean RT? If RT, that's cool, but not LT, IMO. I think we should think WR if we had a top 5 pick.

Originally posted by Blueprint_21

starting QB next season... JAY FIEDLER (no matter who the coach is) and let Roth, or Eli be the backup.

what if someone like arizona takes Ogun and we have 2 picks? we could get a QB, and a lineman/WR.

there are tons of options.

Hold on there just a minute. We're talking about trading up to the top 3 to get one of these QBs you want. That's where Wally's pick and more (probably next year's 1st) are going to be going. Do you have an alternate way of getting into the top 3 that none of the rest of us are seeing or something?

Also, isn't starting Jay at QB with a defense decimated by cuts and a FA OL tantamount to going into a rebuild mode?

Originally posted by Blueprint_21

by cutting people... we're not (no matter who's coach) gonna keep these players with big salaries, and low production.

Yeah but, you're talking about a top tier WR, a top tier lineman, and a highly sought after, if not toptier, QB....

Our backs are gonna be against the wall to sign and satisfy our own players.....Randy is making noise about a restructure....Ricky is going to want more money....not to mention we have to have the room to tender O-gun to at least get some draft picks if we lose him.....This next draft is going to be mucho important to the future of the phins.

That being said, I wouldn't even want to trade up into the top three...I would want all the draft picks we could get.

This thread was just out of curiosity.

Last edited:
Originally posted by blingbling2334
So we're just getting rid of Wade Smith? Unless you mean RT? If RT, that's cool, but not LT, IMO. I think we should think WR if we had a top 5 pick.
If we could get a franchise LT, I would think Smith would become a RT.

If we have any shot at Roethlisberger at all, take him. He will probably go 3-8 depending on teams that pick. We won't have a shot at Manning, but I'd rather have Roeth anyways. If we can't land one of these QBs, go WR. We need another playmaker, and there are a ton this year (both Williams, Fitzgerald, Woods, Clayton, Evans, Edwards, Jenkins). We could also trade up (or down) and get Rivers in the 2nd round. If we have TWO first rounders (Ogun) we could draft a stud O-Lineman like Dorsey or Carey as well as a stud WR or QB. This draft is stocked full of talent folks.

Originally posted by inFINSible
If we could get a franchise LT, I would think Smith would become a RT.

Good idea. Let T. Wade walk, at least if Smith gets burned, the QB can see. :lol:

Yeah but, you're talking about a top tier WR, a top tier lineman, and a highly sought after, if not toptier, QB....

Our backs are gonna be against the wal to sign and satisfy our own players.....Randy is making noise about a restructure....Ricky is going to want more money....not to mention we have to have the room to tender O-gun to at least get some draft picks if we lose him.....This next draft is going to be mucho important to the future fo the phins.

That being said, I wouldn't even want to trade up into the top three...I would want all the draft picks we could get.

This thread was just out of curiosity.

Most of our team will stay in tact. Cutting Griese alone will put us 1.5 million under the cap with 42 players under contract. Cutting Ruddy, McKnight, and T-Bow puts us $7 million under the cap with 39 players. Fiedler WILL take a paycut and hopefully Madison will as well. Surtain will probably get an extension to free more cap space. We will be fine.
I'm not sure Wally really fits in. We can't pay another big Defensive contract. We need to spend the money on offense, and get pick(s) out of Wally. We still have D-Bo, Grigsby, and J & L Williams. We will be fine.

Sorry Randy, you still have two years left on your contract, we will talk next year when you are better at picking up the blitz.
Ricky, we already restructured your deal when we didn't have to two years ago. We will talk next season as well. You are doing fine with your escalator clause salary increases. Ogun's tender will only be 1.4 mil (1st) or 1.9 (1st & 3rd). We need to gain picks this year somehow.

Last edited by a moderator:
i want Ogun to stay... but he has to go. unless JT gives up some to keep him (which he could do and might because he wants a championship).

but i would prefer 2 picks in the draft (assuming Oguns gets a top 5 or under) so we can get some impact players.

Originally posted by unclemonty

We are not in that bad of cap shape. Most of our team will stay in tact. Cutting Griese alone will put us 1.5 million under the cap with 42 players under contract. Cutting Ruddy, McKnight, and T-Bow puts us $8 million under the cap with 39 players. Fiedler WILL take a paycut and hopefully Madison will as well. Surtain will probably get an extension to free more cap space. We will be fine.
I'm not sure Wally really fits in. We can't pay another big Defensive contract. We need to spend the money on offense, and get pick(s) out of Wally. We still have D-Bo, Grigsby, and J & L Williams. We will be fine.

Sorry Randy, you still have two years left on your contract, we will talk next year when you are better at picking up the blitz.
Ricky, we already restructured your deal when we didn't have to two years ago. We will talk next season as well. You are doing fine with your escalator clause salary increases. Ogun's tender will only be 1.4 mil (1st) or 1.9 (1st & 3rd). We need to gain picks this year somehow.

8 mill. under, with 39 players, doesn't sound like we are going to have alot of room to fill out the roster and still tender O-gun...not to mention that Sage is a FA also....and then sign the top tier players that blue was talking about.

8 mill. under, with 39 players, doesn't sound like we are going to have alot of room to fill out the roster and still tender O-gun...not to mention that Sage is a FA also....and then sign the top tier players that blue was talking about.

Ogun is gone. No one really knows the Sage situation. I don't have much faith in him. Our restructures will save alot of cash also (Fiedler, Surtain). We add a lineman in free agency, and hope we draft a playmaker this year. We don't have a lot of room to maneuver this offseason. Minimum tender veterans and rookies will fill our roster. Hope we get some quality back-ups out there cheap. We will see our core team back again. Most of our guys are at their contract point where the cap hit is too big to trade or release them. We are stuck with a lot of these players at least one more year.

Eli Manning will be a star just like his brother. If we can land him we must do it. O-Lineman can be obtained further down in the draft or via free agency. An accurate star Q.B. like Manning can pick up a whole offense.

We can't go 2 years in a row without addressing our obvious need... OL. Someone that fits the mold in all aspects, size and a definite mean streak.
Not addressing that shortchanges the investment made in RW and will also shortchange any possible QB phenom we choose.
O-Gun goes for picks. He's damn good but our underachieving TEAM performance will continue unless some investment is made in the offensive line.
So, let's get a blue-chip OL in the draft, and take Rivers late in the 1st or trade up in the 2nd (we don't have a 2nd rd pick now do we?) to get him or a decent WR if he's gone.
We are going to have some turnover on OL, let's make an investment there early for once. Not a project but a projected starter day 1. Surround him with some low/mid price proven FA OL.
We can't change the style of our team in one year, but we can make a significant improvement by stabilizing our OL with young high value talent.
There's no reason to think that the D will not be the straw that stirs the drink for a few more years, a little more support on OL will take this team from good to great. A few more first downs, a few less sacks, a little more time of possession, a lot more yards from RW in his prime, and a little more time for our aging D to rest... OL is the obvious choice.

Originally posted by lotion
We can't go 2 years in a row without addressing our obvious need... OL. Someone that fits the mold in all aspects, size and a definite mean streak.

But we've gone how many years without addressing our obvious need at QB? I'm all for getting an O-linemen, we NEED to patch up this line, but think on this aspect. We HAVE young linemen. Our linemen are inexperienced, that is the reason their underachieving. A tackle would be a LOT easier to find in FA or further down the draft pole than a franchise QB. IF (we won't, so it's probably a moot point) we get the top 3, we should deffinetly take Eli. A QB for the future we don't have, and haven't had since 3 years before marino retired. If you think about digging to the lower rounds, remember we haven't drafted a SINGLE QB above the 6th round since Marino, we just don't have the talent to pick a qulaity QB int he low rounds.

Originally posted by Jimmy James

Blueprint:

Are you advocating going into a rebuild mode around a QB, or do you think that a rookie QB can lead this team into the playoffs next year?
. [/B]

A Tackle doesn't need to be taken THAT high. If we're there we need to get the rookie QB. Call it a move for the future. We have NO young QB to lead this team. THe Defense can be held together for another 3 years MAX, and that's barring injuries. The future of this team is teh young offense. We have Ricky, Chambers, and McMichael, as well as a young line that well...can't get any worse. If we get that high draft pick we should take Manning, and HOPE that he can step up mid-season (or earlier if he's shinning in pre-season) but pick up a vet (i can live with Brunell if he comes cheap) or retain a QB who knows the system (jay if he's cheap) but count on him taking over 2-3 years down the road. Hopefuly he'd be ready in time for a single season with Xack and JT leading our D, and then prepare for a few years of a high flying offense with Ricky and Eli at the helm :)

Originally posted by Graythreat
A Tackle doesn't need to be taken THAT high.

No position necessarily needs to be taken that high. If you want the "sure thing" QB, you have to draft him that high. If you want the "sure thing" next Tony Boselli LT, you have to draft him that high. If you want the next "sure thing" Charles Rogers, you have to draft him that high. It's all about where you see the team going in the shorter and longer terms...

OL, much more than QB, is more realistic to make a difference on day 1. We are built to win now, and what would really help us now is a blue chip OL.
Any QB is gonna suck without a decent line. Sure we have young OL, McKinney is ready, the others are projects. Smith wouldn't be playing if Dixon was healthy, period.
We can chase rainbows and think we'll find another Dan, or we can strengthen a good team now by going after a damn good OL.
Look at Houston. They drafted Carr but what did they do first? They got Boselli. Granted he was a bust for them but the sequence was logical. What's the point of putting a good QB behind a line that sucks?
We go all out for OL this year, hopefully win a championship, then indulge ourselves on QB (They graduate every year). We may be able to do both if we get a good pick for O-Gun and pick up Rivers. That dude is gonna be a player, he's been throwing a full-size football since he was 3, which accounts for his unusual delivery. He may slip to us after we get a good OL.

Back
Top Bottom