If we did trade up into the top three..... | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

If we did trade up into the top three.....

Larry Fitzergerald can;t enter the draft for that dumb rule NFL has.

It is a hard question to answer to we see what is going on in free agency. O. Pace could be a free agent if we went out and got him LT wouldn't be a need. We could pick up Brunell. Probably not more than a 2-3 year patch, but if you have that adress the biggest need now in the first round. If Dave is still our coach he will probably ignore both and draft a CB or DE.

As far as assuming O-Gun will be gone, i have to say that would piss me off. This guy has a great motar, and is obviously a very dedicated young talent. Alot of people will we can plug anyone in opposite of JT and they will put up his numbers. NOT A CHANCE! Mixon and Bromell enough said. I would much rather lose some older guys like Timbo or Brock.

Originally posted by Blueprint_21
Manning<-- He'll be a star if he goes to a decent team... if he goes to Arizona or somewhere like that he's SCREWED no matter if his father is jesus christ.

I disagree. I think if Arizona got Eli Manning they would have one of the best offenses in the NFL in a few years...Manning, Boldin, Johnson, Shipp....Alot of good young players at all skill positions.

Originally posted by Prime Time

There is a grey area with Larry. He was supposed to graduate 3 years ago witch would make him eligable for the draft, but he choose to go to prep school that kep him in high school for 1 more year. The NFL has said the rule may not apply to Larry due to the fact his original graduateing class was 3 years ago.

Originally posted by unclemonty

Ogun is gone. No one really knows the Sage situation. I don't have much faith in him. Our restructures will save alot of cash also (Fiedler, Surtain). We add a lineman in free agency, and hope we draft a playmaker this year. We don't have a lot of room to maneuver this offseason. Minimum tender veterans and rookies will fill our roster. Hope we get some quality back-ups out there cheap. We will see our core team back again. Most of our guys are at their contract point where the cap hit is too big to trade or release them. We are stuck with a lot of these players at least one more year.

You're not getting what I mean about O-gun.....no matter if he leaves or not we still have to have the room under the cap to tender him....or else we get nothing for him......We can't tender him if we don't have the ability to pay the tender should no one take him.

Originally posted by Dajesus

There is a grey area with Larry. He was supposed to graduate 3 years ago witch would make him eligable for the draft, but he choose to go to prep school that kep him in high school for 1 more year. The NFL has said the rule may not apply to Larry due to the fact his original graduateing class was 3 years ago.

Actually, I don't believe the NFL has said this - Mel Kiper has. The NFL rule is an "age" one - 21. Larry will only be 20.

Originally posted by Dajesus
It is a hard question to answer to we see what is going on in free agency. O. Pace could be a free agent if we went out and got him LT wouldn't be a need. We could pick up Brunell. Probably not more than a 2-3 year patch, but if you have that adress the biggest need now in the first round. If Dave is still our coach he will probably ignore both and draft a CB or DE.

As far as assuming O-Gun will be gone, i have to say that would piss me off. This guy has a great motar, and is obviously a very dedicated young talent. Alot of people will we can plug anyone in opposite of JT and they will put up his numbers. NOT A CHANCE! Mixon and Bromell enough said. I would much rather lose some older guys like Timbo or Brock.

With the way our window seems to be shrinking, I think draft picks in this years draft are majorly important to the future of the team. A first and third this year, IMO, is worth more than Wallay.

Originally posted by inFINSible

With the way our window seems to be shrinking, I think draft picks in this years draft are majorly important to the future of the team. A first and third this year, IMO, is worth more than Wallay.

I like this idea alot, if we can move up into one of the top three picks (assuming all this Wally stuff happens) ... I like the idea of a stud LT.

If we could get a stud LT there (I know nothing of the talent pool available), move an improved and STRONGER Wade Smith to the right, and grab a guard out of free agency and hand the reigns over to Seth at C then the offensive line would be much improved and in turn the offense.

Infins said it, the window is closing. Get someone in here that can help them win immediately. This core group deserves a championship ... I don't want to see Zach, Jr, T-Bo, et al. to walk away without a ring.

Originally posted by Prime Time

It is my understanding that he spent one year after high school at an academy of some sort. Therefore his two years plus a "high school post grad" year would make him eligeable. But that is the debate he has with the NFL.

If Miami gets into the top 3 picks in the '04 draft and Eli Manning is still sitting there, they would be absolute jack*sses not to take him. He is not just a good QB, he is a FRANCHISE QB. Ask any coach or tv "expert" what the most valuable postition on the field is, and they all say QB. Well, our current crop of QBs just isnt making anyone run out and pre order Super Bowl gear....

The worst UNIT overall is without a doubt the O-line. Yet, if you get a shot at a guy like Manning, you seriously go after a OL or two in free agency. That is why Miami needs to restruture whatever deals they need to right after the season ends and get the cap room ready to make the serious run at the free agent O-linemen. Pace will be franchised by the Rams, so hes out.

One other thing, if Nick Saban was offered the Miami head coaching job and accepted it, he would know first hand how good Manning is, having coached against him so much in college. I think that could accellerate Mannings learning curve even faster. Even if you have the best WR on earth, if the ball is always 10 yards too long, or 5 yards too short (see Fiedler or Griese) it just dont matter now does it?

If the WR we're talking about (and I'm being general, not talking about Mr. Pittsburgh) is the next Jerry Rice, he's a far better pick than Eli Manning probably ever is. That's why I'm so high on this hypothetical top 3 pick being a guy the team knows is a game breaker. I'll go to the extreme -- if there is a monster of a DT who is heads and shoulders above anybody else, I hope the team would take him. I hate to suggest spending anything more on defense, but that would probably be the biggest need on that side of the ball.

Originally posted by inFINSible

You're not getting what I mean about O-gun.....no matter if he leaves or not we still have to have the room under the cap to tender him....or else we get nothing for him......We can't tender him if we don't have the ability to pay the tender should no one take him.

I know what you meant.
His tender will only be 1.4 million (for a 1st rounder) or
1.9 million (for a 1st and third rounder).

That's all the money we need to tender him. As soon as Griese is released we have that much.

Originally posted by Jimmy James
If the WR we're talking about (and I'm being general, not talking about Mr. Pittsburgh) is the next Jerry Rice, he's a far better pick than Eli Manning probably ever is. That's why I'm so high on this hypothetical top 3 pick being a guy the team knows is a game breaker. I'll go to the extreme -- if there is a monster of a DT who is heads and shoulders above anybody else, I hope the team would take him. I hate to suggest spending anything more on defense, but that would probably be the biggest need on that side of the ball.

The draft is truely a gamble, and I agree with your sentiment. But you never have a guranteed game breaker. In fact, I think the closest thing to a guranteed game breaker you'll ever find in the draft is Eli. He has football in his blood, his dad was a franchise QB, his brother is DEFFINETLY a franchise QB, and he has more physical talent than his brother. He is not into tapes as much as Payton, but we'll see. We know he can play, makes good decisions, has a deep ball, etc. Any draft pick has potential to bust, but when you have a family that's succeeded well in football, it's hard to pass up. by going with a player that you know can obviously play, and has a football minded family, and kin to show for it, you at least lessen the odds of him being a bust.

Originally posted by Da 'Fins

Actually, I don't believe the NFL has said this - Mel Kiper has. The NFL rule is an "age" one - 21. Larry will only be 20.

If Fitzgerald declares for the draft, he WILL 90% be allowed to. He went to prep schoool for a year. Here is the actual NFL rule:

When the rule was adopted in February 1990, NFL commissioner Paul Tagliabue issued a press release saying players could only enter the draft after "three full college seasons" had elapsed since their high school graduation. Over the past decade, the notion that players must wait three years has become widely accepted.

However, as noted by Clarett's attorneys, the formal language of Section 12.1(E) of the bylaws is: "For college football players seeking special eligibility, at least three NFL seasons must have elapsed since the player was graduated from high school."

Fitgerald clearly meets this criteria.
Clarett actually graduated in December 2001 so he might beat the ruling. Fitzgerald's class gratuated the spring before this, so he would almost definitely beat any ruling against him entering the draft.

Back
Top Bottom