If we did trade up into the top three..... | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

If we did trade up into the top three.....

Originally posted by unclemonty

I know what you meant.
His tender will only be 1.4 million (for a 1st rounder) or
1.9 million (for a 1st and third rounder).

That's all the money we need to tender him. As soon as Griese is released we have that much.

maybe so, but if we are going to be, as some estimates project, 10-12 mill over the cap, then we may need every bit of savings we can get just to get under the cap.:(

....I don't think we'll be able to trade up into the top 3 of the draft (or really, we'd need to be 1 or 2 to get Eli, most teams would love to have Peyton as their QB and won't miss out on his brother).......so I don't think the QB will be possible, or if so...we will literally wind up with 1 pick by trading the whole farm for the #1 spot.. (kind of like Ditka traded everything, 5 picks or something just to get Ricky).....so focus on our O-line instead.....but I suppose we'll have to wait and see what happens next year. I'll keep my fingers crossed.

I'm not sure that I buy the argument that either Peyton or Archie's careers make Eli more of a sure thing. There were three Ismail brothers -- would you really have wanted Qadry or the one that didn't even make the NFL?

I am willing to consider Eli the sort of game breaker that some of you think he is, but it's not gonna happen for me until the combine and his private workout if he doesn't throw at the combine (I doubt he will). I've seen this game before, and I have learned not to trust anything about players until the workouts happen. If Eli looks as good then as a lot of you think he will, I'll start marching his name out in this scenario...

Originally posted by Jimmy James
I'm not sure that I buy the argument that either Peyton or Archie's careers make Eli more of a sure thing. There were three Ismail brothers -- would you really have wanted Qadry or the one that didn't even make the NFL?

I am willing to consider Eli the sort of game breaker that some of you think he is, but it's not gonna happen for me until the combine and his private workout if he doesn't throw at the combine (I doubt he will). I've seen this game before, and I have learned not to trust anything about players until the workouts happen. If Eli looks as good then as a lot of you think he will, I'll start marching his name out in this scenario...
\

That's a fair chance. As long as people are open to making a ballsy move to get up there to get this guy (if he produces) and agree that it's worth it to sit him for a year or so.

Oh, I'm not saying I'm sold on that at all. I'm just saying that if he's the real deal, he'd be the guy I would take should the team move up to the top. There is a whole other analysis that has to be done post-combine and post-RFA season once we know what picks we have, what players are available, and who the coach is going to be.

Originally posted by inFINSible

maybe so, but if we are going to be, as some estimates project, 10-12 mill over the cap, then we may need every bit of savings we can get just to get under the cap.:(

Don't let Clump's estimate scare you off. We will NOT be that far over. Check this link:

http://www.thefinforum.com/SiteContent/Content/SalaryCap2.htm

SPECIAL THANX TO MERMAN FOR INFO!!!

It's all right here. We won't be able to do much in free agency, but we will have our core team. What we need more than ever next year is a solid draft. We can't afford to keep Ogun and the pick(s) we get will hopefully help us out. We have some good young linemen that will be a lot better next year. Draft a playmaker WR (Williams, Woods, Clayton, Edwards, Jenkins, or Evans) and a starting caliber lineman, and we will be fine.
With W. Smith, Dixon, McKinney, Perry or Nails, (rookie Carey or Dorsey), I think we would be pretty solid. Yates or Jerman might be ready next year and possibly (but very doubtful) even Whitley. There are several other quality O-Linemen in the draft that we could get in the third round also. Losing Ogun for picks is key next season.

The Dolphins will court three guys as their main candidates. 1- Saban from LSU is a longshot, but is just the kind of guy that Wayne would love as his number one choice.
2-Lovie Smith- Def. Coord. Stl. Rams: Getting another "defensive coach" would help keep out defense strong and keep the Dolphins in games. The big question here is if Smith could bring a great Off. coord. in because Norv Turner will not be with Miami after this season. Turner will accept a college job. Smith singlehandedly rebuild the Rams defense into a respectable group. He is definately a leader and isnt shy about getting into players faces when they need it. My personal number one pick.
3-Gary Kubiak: While Gary waits it out to take over for Shannahan, Mike gets an extension.... Gary is a brilliant offensive mind who as a former player (QB) and a long stretch as Denvers offensive coord. will be able to rebuild Miamis offense. Gary also is a guy who knows that his oportunities are vast. So if Miami wants him, they need to go out with the $$ and enough say in personell to make it worth his while.

Originally posted by lotion
OL, much more than QB, is more realistic to make a difference on day 1. We are built to win now, and what would really help us now is a blue chip OL.
Any QB is gonna suck without a decent line. Sure we have young OL, McKinney is ready, the others are projects. Smith wouldn't be playing if Dixon was healthy, period.
We can chase rainbows and think we'll find another Dan, or we can strengthen a good team now by going after a damn good OL.
Look at Houston. They drafted Carr but what did they do first? They got Boselli. Granted he was a bust for them but the sequence was logical. What's the point of putting a good QB behind a line that sucks?
We go all out for OL this year, hopefully win a championship, then indulge ourselves on QB (They graduate every year). We may be able to do both if we get a good pick for O-Gun and pick up Rivers. That dude is gonna be a player, he's been throwing a full-size football since he was 3, which accounts for his unusual delivery. He may slip to us after we get a good OL.

Lotion, I like the way you think. The cornerstone of a good offense is a solid OL,if you don't have that...well you get the picture, you have the 2003 Miami Dolphins offense.:D

Blueprint mentioned him already, but if Miami was going to draft a o-lineman high in the draft, what about the monster Robert Gallery---6'7" 320 lbs!!!! I bet he'll go really high in the draft for his position and what not, especially after winning the Outland Trophy. Here's his bio

ROBERT GALLERY

Originally posted by !PapaCrunk!
Blueprint mentioned him already, but if Miami was going to draft a o-lineman high in the draft, what about the monster Robert Gallery---6'7" 320 lbs!!!! I bet he'll go really high in the draft for his position and what not, especially after winning the Outland Trophy. Here's his bio

ROBERT GALLERY

I'm glad you brought this guy up Papa. I too would like to see the Fins nab this guy if possible. I think this guy is a baller like Turley.

The Gallery-Turley comparison worries me. As I understand it, Turley is much better at RT than LT. Elite RTs usually go top 10 instead of top 3, so it seems a bit of an overpay to take him that high if he's projecting as a RT.

If I'm taking the analogy too far here, please accept my apology...

Originally posted by unclemonty

Don't let Clump's estimate scare you off. We will NOT be that far over. Check this link:

http://www.thefinforum.com/SiteContent/Content/SalaryCap2.htm

SPECIAL THANX TO MERMAN FOR INFO!!!

It's all right here. We won't be able to do much in free agency, but we will have our core team. What we need more than ever next year is a solid draft. We can't afford to keep Ogun and the pick(s) we get will hopefully help us out. We have some good young linemen that will be a lot better next year. Draft a playmaker WR (Williams, Woods, Clayton, Edwards, Jenkins, or Evans) and a starting caliber lineman, and we will be fine.
With W. Smith, Dixon, McKinney, Perry or Nails, (rookie Carey or Dorsey), I think we would be pretty solid. Yates or Jerman might be ready next year and possibly (but very doubtful) even Whitley. There are several other quality O-Linemen in the draft that we could get in the third round also. Losing Ogun for picks is key next season.
thanks Monty.....I'll poor over that alot (Thanks Merman).....I agree that getting picks for O-gun is the most important part of our offseason.

Not trying to argue with you here Monty but 10 minutes after my last post I ran across this article....todd wade ....with this quote...
Because they were pressed against the 2003 salary cap, the Dolphins were never in position to offer Wade a big-money contract extension during the offseason. The Dolphins also are already more than $12 million over the projected 2004 cap of roughly $79 million, which means major cost-cutting must be done for the team to have a shot at retaining Wade's services before the start of the free-agent signing period.

Originally posted by Jimmy James
The Gallery-Turley comparison worries me. As I understand it, Turley is much better at RT than LT. Elite RTs usually go top 10 instead of top 3, so it seems a bit of an overpay to take him that high if he's projecting as a RT.

If I'm taking the analogy too far here, please accept my apology...

He plays LT, has a mean streak and just looks like a tough MOFO.
I guess we'll see.

As an outsider looking at the Phins if you can get in the top 5.....
Robert Gallery Iowa
Height: 6-foot-7
Weight: 320 pounds
Class Year: Sr
Experience: 3V

The Phins FO would be foolish to pass on this monster IMO

Back
Top Bottom