Iggy looking good. | Page 7 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Iggy looking good.

I have high hopes for Iggy, he is learning from the best!

Iggy was a reach, doesn’t mean he won’t be a good player. He got thrown into the fire early in the season and got burned. Probably lost 1 to 2 games because of him. It reminds me of the Ted Ginn pick, big time reach but had a decent career when he left Miami. I look at the first round a little different. I expect first rounders to be ready to play and contribute immediately at a high level. Again it doesn’t mean iggy won’t be good. Towards the end of the season he looked better.
This narrative needs to stop. It just isn't true. He was projected as a late first round early second round pick. Raw? Sure, but he was not a "reach".

This narrative needs to stop. It just isn't true. He was projected as a late first round early second round pick. Raw? Sure, but he was not a "reach".
All I know is he looked like a guy who never played the sport before. It wasn’t a good start for him. I mean, he was woeful.

The main problem with Iggy was he was a first round draft pick. First round draft picks are suppose to come in and be productive in year one and not suppose to have to learn to play the position.

This doesn’t mean he won’t eventually become a good CB in the NFL. It just means he was drafted higher than he should have been in the 2020 draft. Of course the lack of pre season training with the team probably had as big an impact on him as it did for any player on the team. He had only been playing CB in college for 2 years before being drafted and the lack of a full preseason only slowed down his development.

I think if he had been a second or third round pick instead of a first round selection, there would be a lot less criticism of his play or lack of play last year. I certainly hope he develops into the CB the team will need in the future. Because Jones will likely be gone as soon as his contract makes it feasible to cut or trade him. Also with his past injuries, there is no telling how long Howard will be able to play at the level he did last year.

Hopefully Iggy will be able to take over one of those outside CB positions in the next year or two.
If you draft a CB at 30 overall and you expect a starter from day 1, then youre looking at a 4-yr starter in college with low ceiling.
Dolphins drafted a guy who probably would've grown into elite college DB a year later and would be discussed with Surtain and Horn in this year's draft.
Think of our 3rd 1st-round pick of 2020 being a Top 15 pick of 2021.
We get #6, Iggy, and #18 coming to our team this summer.
It's probably better than that, as Iggy, in year 2 might be growing faster and better than these 2021 rookie guys in 2021.

All I know is he looked like a guy who never played the sport before. It wasn’t a good start for him. I mean, he was woeful.
Cornerbacks generally look like that in their rookie season. Howard, and Surtain both struggled their rookie season. Jeffrey Okudah was the first corner drafted last year and he really struggled. Then you factor in the extenuating circumstances, like Igbinoghene’s age, lack of experience at the position, and no offseason because of covid, and it stands to reason that he would struggle.

Cornerbacks generally look like that in their rookie season. Howard, and Surtain both struggled their rookie season. Jeffrey Okudah was the first corner drafted last year and he really struggled. Then you factor in the extenuating circumstances, like Igbinoghene’s age, lack of experience at the position, and no offseason because of covid, and it stands to reason that he would struggle.
Exactly. Interesting how Iggy is a bust yet nione ever really brings up Okudah. Is he a bust??? He was selected 3rd overall!!!!!!

I agree to an extent. I mean, Surtain and Howard struggling their rookie years looked like all pros compared to Iggy. I think comparisons to Jamar Taylor, Jamar Fletcher and Cordeea Tankerlsly are more apropos- and the latter guys at least had a few moments (except for Fletcher - he was a train wreck). I know the kid is a great athlete. That doesn’t always translate to great player. Don’t get me wrong, I’m rooting for him it’s just that I can’t recall a rookie CB (especially a no 1 pick) looking so, so, so lost out there. It was frightening. He had better win the most improved player award if they have one!

Exactly. Interesting how Iggy is a bust yet nione ever really brings up Okudah. Is he a bust??? He was selected 3rd overall!!!!!!
I don’t even know who that is or what team he plays for. And I probably don’t care. I care about the guys we pick. In fact, I want every player picked by other teams to bust. Just not ours.

He is going to be a good player. And I don’t think the pick was as bad as folks think. Other than a RB, there was nobody at 30 that i much preferred. And I can’t fault the front office for going high upside CB over RB in the first round.

He is going to be a good player. And I don’t think the pick was as bad as folks think. Other than a RB, there was nobody at 30 that i much preferred. And I can’t fault the front office for going high upside CB over RB in the first round.
If X Howard tries to play 'hardball' to negotiate a new contract, you think a RB drafted in 2020 would be useful?
Dolphins were smartAF to use a 1st rnd pick on a position that is cost-prohibitive to replace in FA more often than not. The irony is that Miami proved it themselves by signing a ridiculously expensive FA corner who is WAY overpaid for the quality of his work. Byron Jones' contract just shows how critical it is for teams to draft and develop their own quality DBs.

Back
Top Bottom