I’m getting old. And I miss Jim Mandich. | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

I’m getting old. And I miss Jim Mandich.

Speaking of getting old, I’m a baby compared to some of you old timers in here (turned 40 in March). Not sure about anyone else but the older I get the more strange it is to me to root for guys that could be my son.

As a teen and young adult it was fine because the majority of players were all older than I was. But now there’s only a few guys on ANY team that are as old or older than I am. It’s a weird feeling.

Speaking of getting old, I’m a baby compared to some of you old timers in here (turned 40 in March). Not sure about anyone else but the older I get the more strange it is to me to root for guys that could be my son.

As a teen and young adult it was fine because the majority of players were all older than I was. But now there’s only a few guys on ANY team that are as old or older than I am. It’s a weird feeling.
It only gets worse Dude. :frown

You're right, PHINSfan, Hank Goldberg was a very decent and knowledgeable color guy. My buddy knew Hank from the Infiniti dealership where Hank got his free wheels. He used to drive Q45s and turn them in with the driver's seat crushed. He is a big boy! Hank really was mainly into horse racing and gambling. I'm sure you remember the great Rick Weaver.

Jimbo, and even Hank Goldberg were much much better than what we have now . And when it comes to newspapers no one has come close to the great Edwin Pope. Yeahhh......those were the days.
I guest hosted a Dolphins radio show with the Hammer. We broadcast from Shula's in Miami Lakes.

I wish I had a recording of it. I vaguely remember a riveting Craig Veasey discussion.

You obviously know the John Anderson song Straight Tequila Night.

I have those. But they are Dan Marino nights. I watch old games and highlights and everyone just needs to leave me the **** alone.

But tonight it just rang true, watching those old games, how much I miss “Aaalriiiiiiight Miamiiiii!” That classic voice inflection. His perfect nuance calling a big play.

Rest well Mad dog. We miss you.

You might want to inform people who he is before someone creates a thread that he should be cut.

You're right, PHINSfan, Hank Goldberg was a very decent and knowledgeable color guy. My buddy knew Hank from the Infiniti dealership where Hank got his free wheels. He used to drive Q45s and turn them in with the driver's seat crushed. He is a big boy! Hank really was mainly into horse racing and gambling. I'm sure you remember the great Rick Weaver.
ohhh yeahh I sure do, Weaver was also great.

What does that even mean?

Sounds as if you only respect a certain era of the game?

He’s probably one of Bob Kuechenberg’s relatives. The guy always takes pot shots at Marino and that era. It’s beyond lame. But he has ”pantyhose” opinions on most things, so it’s not surprising.

Not being able to acknowledge Marino’s greatness, even if far preferring the 60’s and 70’s era style of football, along with not having an “impression” of Mandach as an announcer, just goes to show how out of touch with reality and tone deaf he is.

IMO fans like him are just insecure and upset that the Marino era gets more coverage and attention. I sure know that Bob Kuechenberg was that way. All Kuechenberg ever did was to be fortunate enough to play on a more well-rounded team. And that team didn’t ever have to play a team as good as the ‘84 49ers.

If prime Marino had been the QB on those 70’s teams, they’d have won more than 2 SB’s considering the defense they had. They’d have won in ‘83 too, because that offense was trash. Conversely prime Kuechenberg, or any one member of those 70’s teams, would have won the same amount of titles in the 80’s and 90’s as Marino and Company. Zero.

Mad Dog loved the game, and loved the Miami Dolphins even more. His enthusiasm paired so well with his eloquence and clever turn of a phrase. He was knowledgeable but didn't try to make every interaction an info dump. He wanted the fan to feel the passion of the game and understand it a little better while he smiled through the experience. Perfect blend of emotion and intellect in a warm and welcoming presentation.

There's a lot to miss about Mad Dog. RIP, for you brought a lot of joy to a lot of us fans. In the good time we thoroughly reveled in the experience together. In the bad times we supported one another and the team together. And with Mad Dog leading the conversation ... we always felt a valued part of a family. It al ways reminded me of the show Cheers. Every time Norm came in the entire bar shouted "NORM!" because they were so happy to see him. THAT'S how Mad Dog made it feel to be a Miami fan ... in good times and bad, we were always family and they always wanted to share the experience with us.

Thanks Mad Dog. Here's to you. :cheers:

Back
Top Bottom