I'm rooting for Rosen to start but.... | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

I'm rooting for Rosen to start but....

Again....there is no more evil force in the universe than...........The EVIL grier.

Teams don't just magically stabilize themselves if they have glaring weaknesses on the roster. In fact, you're just putting a lot of film out there on all the things you do terribly for other teams to exploit repeatedly. I've seen nothing in Fitz's play over his career to suggest that he'll be able to stabilize anything as he is a turnover machine and bad decision maker when things go bad and that's played out his entire career. Things aren't magically gonna not go bad with the lack of line talent or consistent playmakers on offense.

This talk of "stabilizing" is also stupid, being that the only time the offense resembled the way its played under Fitz in the regular season was with Fitz there in preseason. It looked good with Rosen starting. It looked good with Rudock starting. The only guy who threw ducks for an entire half was Fitzpatrick. You're making as assumption just as bad as the one that Flores did, which is that Fitz would come in and play better just because of Fitz being a veteran. In fact, Fitz has been so terrible that now the offense needs stabilizing partially because of his ineptitude.
Do you recall Adam Gase's first season? He told the press that he had figured out from past installs that it took about 5 weeks for a team to learn the offense and start playing instinctively. He said so publicly at a press conference. Sure enough, around week 5, we went from being utterly inept to being competitive. We looked at Tannehill's performances in the first 5 weeks vs. the rest of the season, and it was like night and day. WR's running better routes, QB making better throws, OL opening better run lanes and providing better pockets. Everything started to click. We weren't great, but we were a lot more competent than those first five weeks.

Turns out, every NFL offense that changes systems takes a few weeks to settle in. They do stabilize. I'm not saying that we'll go from 32n'd in the league at just about everything to 16th in the league at just about everything. I'm saying that we'll go from horrible to whatever our "normal" is this season. We will … stabilize.

We can't give Rosen the keys to a Ferrari offense, because we simply don't have one. But we can ensure that he doesn't have an OL as bad and utterly devoid of chemistry as he had in Arizona last year. But we can't really do that until the team is comfortable in Coach Googs' scheme, and Coach O'Shea's system. We need the guys wearing our uniforms to be playing instinctively rather than hesitating and thinking trying to figure out what they're supposed to do. We can't change the talent level, but we can wait until that talent gets comfortable and can play instinctively.

THAT is what I'm advocating. Giving Rosen a chance to prove himself. Right now, it's like trying to swim up Niagra Falls. I'm just saying wait until it's more like trying to swim upstream rather than vertically up a waterfall.

The big issue is that what if the cowboys go uo 21-0 or some score along those lines? The defense may be improving, but if fitz is still unable to produce anything resembling an offense do you keep him in? There comes that point as a coach where you must thrust him in there because fitz will have forced your hand. Buffalo had that happen with Allen. It's one thing if we are scoring but not playing well, but we aren't even moving the ball. I agree with your thoughts, but fitz may push the change with his play right now
Coach Flo has promised his players that he'll play the best QB. Each game he's given Rosen a shot. Thus far, Rosen hasn't proven he is the superior QB, so I think Coach Flo has the flexibility to choose his QB still, and I agree that that is probably still Fitzpatrick, although it's debatable now. Personally, I'm hoping that we use Fitz as the sacrificial lamb while the offense figures out how to play Coach Googs' OL scheme and techniques, and everyone understands their roles and can play instinctively and fast in Coach O'Shea's offensive system. Around the bye week, I think we have an opportunity to offer that and two weeks practice with the 1's to prepare Rosen for his 2019 trial run. If he fails … we draft a QB. If he turns the corner and proves he's the next Tom Brady, then we celebrate. But doing exactly what Arizona did and throwing him to the wolves doesn't seem like a good idea to me.

the day Rosen starts and sucks, like he will............Grier is gone............and that could just finally be................the end of the curse!!!!!!!! Will it be fans ....will it be??

Wrong, Rosen will not cost Grier his job. He fell into his lap and Grier took a chance by hopefully finding lightning for cheap. Low risk high reward move

I mean it depends on where you’re coming from. If you’re saying the cowboys defense is so good it could traumatize Rosen, I don’t see it. They’re very average. Giving up 38 points to the redskins and Giants isn’t exactly a feat. If you’re talking wins losses, the cowboys will kick our arses, as will most teams. It’s gonna be rough either way for whoever plays quarterback. Might as well watch the rookie fling it imo.

In fairness, I'm mostly thinking of the Cowboys from last year, I haven't seen them this year. But last year they were a pretty unforgiving team. They had guys who made QB's pay for every mistake and forced mistakes as well. They carried a middling Dak-led offense to the playoffs last year.

Coach Flo has promised his players that he'll play the best QB. Each game he's given Rosen a shot. Thus far, Rosen hasn't proven he is the superior QB, so I think Coach Flo has the flexibility to choose his QB still, and I agree that that is probably still Fitzpatrick, although it's debatable now. Personally, I'm hoping that we use Fitz as the sacrificial lamb while the offense figures out how to play Coach Googs' OL scheme and techniques, and everyone understands their roles and can play instinctively and fast in Coach O'Shea's offensive system. Around the bye week, I think we have an opportunity to offer that and two weeks practice with the 1's to prepare Rosen for his 2019 trial run. If he fails … we draft a QB. If he turns the corner and proves he's the next Tom Brady, then we celebrate. But doing exactly what Arizona did and throwing him to the wolves doesn't seem like a good idea to me.

Obviously Rosen's play hasn't been world beating either, but I'm curious as to how anything Fitzpatrick has been done is better.

It was always a waste to start Fitz over Rosen, especially on a rebuild team.

We always knew Rosen HAD to replace the career back-up.

Instead of giving Rosen and the team a chance to build, we have been wasting everyone's time with a really bad idea.

Flores tried to out think the room and it continues to blow up in his face.

Stop with the David Carr confidence psycho babble. That's amateur hour.

It was clear from Pre season - and the other 15 pre and regular (but never post) seasons that Fitz has played, that he ****ing sucked. And, at his age he now has a limp noodle for an arm to go along w the horrible decision making that has been consistent his entire career. He is done as an NFL QB.

Miami has to see this and continues to play him knowing that he will not beat anyone. Otherwise it makes no sense as you play the kid who has the upside.

I hated when we signed Fitz. But for what it appears we are doing, he’s perfect.

Do you recall Adam Gase's first season? He told the press that he had figured out from past installs that it took about 5 weeks for a team to learn the offense and start playing instinctively. He said so publicly at a press conference. Sure enough, around week 5, we went from being utterly inept to being competitive. We looked at Tannehill's performances in the first 5 weeks vs. the rest of the season, and it was like night and day. WR's running better routes, QB making better throws, OL opening better run lanes and providing better pockets. Everything started to click. We weren't great, but we were a lot more competent than those first five weeks.

Turns out, every NFL offense that changes systems takes a few weeks to settle in. They do stabilize. I'm not saying that we'll go from 32n'd in the league at just about everything to 16th in the league at just about everything. I'm saying that we'll go from horrible to whatever our "normal" is this season. We will … stabilize.

We can't give Rosen the keys to a Ferrari offense, because we simply don't have one. But we can ensure that he doesn't have an OL as bad and utterly devoid of chemistry as he had in Arizona last year. But we can't really do that until the team is comfortable in Coach Googs' scheme, and Coach O'Shea's system. We need the guys wearing our uniforms to be playing instinctively rather than hesitating and thinking trying to figure out what they're supposed to do. We can't change the talent level, but we can wait until that talent gets comfortable and can play instinctively.

THAT is what I'm advocating. Giving Rosen a chance to prove himself. Right now, it's like trying to swim up Niagra Falls. I'm just saying wait until it's more like trying to swim upstream rather than vertically up a waterfall.

I certainly get what you are saying, but the offensive emergence in Gase's first year was predicated on Jay Ajayi, a guy who Gase left at home in week one. Sure, the whole offense got better, but that's because we had a back we could give 25 carries a game while only asking the QB to throw the ball 20-25 times. The QB's did better both because they were asked to make fewer high level throws a game and the defensive attention was focused elsewhere. It was the case of a dominant player emerging.

When I think of what happens into the season with an offense, I don't think of that year, I think of the years where we started hot out of the gate, like 2018 and 2013, and we ended up having our offensive line exposed to the point where our offense became almost non-functional.

I certainly get what you are saying, but the offensive emergence in Gase's first year was predicated on Jay Ajayi, a guy who Gase left at home in week one. Sure, the whole offense got better, but that's because we had a back we could give 25 carries a game while only asking the QB to throw the ball 20-25 times. The QB's did better both because they were asked to make fewer high level throws a game and the defensive attention was focused elsewhere. It was the case of a dominant player emerging.

When I think of what happens into the season with an offense, I don't think of that year, I think of the years where we started hot out of the gate, like 2018 and 2013, and we ended up having our offensive line exposed to the point where our offense became almost non-functional.
No, Ajayi was just a cog in the wheel. Everything about that offense got better around week 5. The WR's started nailing their routes, meaning Tannehill's throws were now catchable, and less INT's. The OL was working cohesively and with fewer breakdowns, and showing a tiny bit of chemistry. Ajayi was nowhere near the reason for that … it just takes time to learn the system and gain familiarity with your teammates. I'm expecting something very similar to happen to us around the bye week, thus why I'm advocating waiting until then to put Rosen in as the starter.

Obviously Rosen's play hasn't been world beating either, but I'm curious as to how anything Fitzpatrick has been done is better.
Exactly. To earn the spot you need to outplay the incumbent, and we both agree that hasn't happened. Sure, the Coach is within his rights to declare either the starter … but unless Rosen starts outplaying Fitzpatrick, I don't see any reason to switch. Once we have a platform where Rosen can potentially have some success, we'll have nothing to lose. Until then, we can still crush the kid's confidence, as we know from Arizona how badly he played when the team was complete shyte around him.

Exactly. To earn the spot you need to outplay the incumbent, and we both agree that hasn't happened. Sure, the Coach is within his rights to declare either the starter … but unless Rosen starts outplaying Fitzpatrick, I don't see any reason to switch. Once we have a platform where Rosen can potentially have some success, we'll have nothing to lose. Until then, we can still crush the kid's confidence, as we know from Arizona how badly he played when the team was complete shyte around him.

Fitz wasn't the incumbent. He was named the starter despite being the only QB on the team to bring the offense to a halt in preseason. I don't agree with Miami's logic at all. We've asked the young QB with upside to play perfect football or else ride the bench. We've forgiven a career mistake-prone 36 year old veteran's mistakes while condemning the second year guy for his mistakes.

It does not make sense.

No, Ajayi was just a cog in the wheel. Everything about that offense got better around week 5. The WR's started nailing their routes, meaning Tannehill's throws were now catchable, and less INT's. The OL was working cohesively and with fewer breakdowns, and showing a tiny bit of chemistry. Ajayi was nowhere near the reason for that … it just takes time to learn the system and gain familiarity with your teammates. I'm expecting something very similar to happen to us around the bye week, thus why I'm advocating waiting until then to put Rosen in as the starter.

When you're just the 4th guy in NFL history with consecutive 200 yard games, you're not just a cog in the wheel, you're the entire darn vehicle. He contributed a third 200 yard game later in the year. He had 30 carries the first give games that year.

At this point, I would rather have Rosen and Rudock as 1/2. Keep fitz as a 3rd if you want. Any roster spot that gets eaten is a JAG anyway

Back
Top Bottom