I'm still a joey harrington supporter | Page 8 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

I'm still a joey harrington supporter

Status
Not open for further replies.
icephinfan said:
I don't mind Troy Smith, but just so Joey isn't the one to groom him.

why is that? he already has the skills. He needs to learn how to conduct himself monday through saturday and I think Joey is the perfect guy to do so.

VManis said:
1) I think I covered that when I said he had a confidence problem with his teammates. If and yes that is a big if, he can learn to trust the team as a whole to win rather then taking the risks he does then he could turn things around.

I don't think Joey will ever gain confidence with Miami. He knew when he signed with us that he was Dauntes backup. But he also knew that there was a chance Daunte wouldn't be ready to start this season and he would get to play. He was right (sort of).

But since his season, his numbers and his league value has not increased my guess is he's all ready starting to think about where his next stop might be. He may learn to trust his teammates and he may gain confidence by I doubt this will be in Miami. In all likelyhood he has two games left here as a starter before Daunte takes over again next season.

VManis said:
2) This is greatly over exagerated. Joey's long ball is not awful but we seldom get to see it.

I didn't say it was awful. But he does have accuracy issues with it. Some look good while others look off. But regardless of how few he throws in a game he does throw them in practice. It's entirely possible that they don't call for him to throw a lot of deep balls because of what they see in practice.

VManis said:
3) True or we could grow old switching QBs every offseason in an endless hunt to find the next Marino. This team will be much better if during the offseason we concentrate on surrounding the QBs we have with talent rather then draft the current QB of the month.

I can agree with that. But like I said it's very likely that Culpepper retakes the reigns next season and that Harrington will want to move on to a team that wants to use him as a starter. Then we have DC, Lemon (maybe) and whoever we decide to use as a #3.

I would love to see joey stay as a number 2 QB but this kid wants to play (can you blame him?) so I don't see him wanting to stay here. This is of course under the circumstances that Daunte starts and finishes next season as our #1 guy.

No everyone is going to agree with a draft pick but its fair to say that most people were expecting Joey to be a first round pick.

BTW - Are you the same rafael from the old Sun Sentinel board?

No, that was a different guy. I posted on the Dolphin Digest board before I found Finheaven.

And I agree that people are never unanimous on any pick. It's just that there were more than a few questions about JH being worth that pick. But people seem to equate his high draft position with proof that he had superlative skills and that simply isn't true.

But people seem to equate his high draft position with proof that he had superlative skills and that simply isn't true.

He does have superlative skills making reads IMO, but that is hurting him as he seems to rely soleley on his pre snap read. Almost robotic like, make pre-snap read throw to reciever as quickly as possible. He seemed to start settling down for a couple games there and let the plays develop but lately he's gone back to robot mode. I think if he'd have gone to a better team out of college he might have been a good QB but Detroit might have ruined him, old habits die hard, and he's become accustomed to those habits for 4 years in Detroit. If he can forget everything he learned in Detroit and start over he might still have a chance though.

Nobody knows. Everyone on here thought Vince Young was a dumb *** for getting a 16 on a wonderlic and and threw the ball like a girl;now he just makes teams pay in the fourth quarter. Winner. Plain and simple.

Nobody knows. Everyone on here thought Vince Young was a dumb *** for getting a 16 on a wonderlic and and threw the ball like a girl;now he just makes teams pay in the fourth quarter. Winner. Plain and simple.

that titans defense is underrated.

why is that? he already has the skills. He needs to learn how to conduct himself monday through saturday and I think Joey is the perfect guy to do so.

I'd much rather have Culpepper groom a Qb than Harrington for the pure fact that a healthy Culpepper can lead a team when the rest of the team isn't firing on all cylinders unlike Joey who needs a total team effort to win. I want a gunslinger and I'd rather an ex probowl gunslinger teach a new QB the ropes than just a caretaker teaching him how to be a caretaker and slowing down his potential.

Joey maybe a nice guy off the field Monday-Saturday, but C-PEP is a leader on the field. C-Pep can groom Troy " if we even draft him" so he can be ready for the future. Not too much Joey can teach Troy on the field, I mean maybe to throw INTS or bad passes. " Had to get that in there":lol:

He does have superlative skills making reads IMO, but that is hurting him as he seems to rely soleley on his pre snap read. Almost robotic like, make pre-snap read throw to reciever as quickly as possible. He seemed to start settling down for a couple games there and let the plays develop but lately he's gone back to robot mode. I think if he'd have gone to a better team out of college he might have been a good QB but Detroit might have ruined him, old habits die hard, and he's become accustomed to those habits for 4 years in Detroit. If he can forget everything he learned in Detroit and start over he might still have a chance though.

While I don't agree he is superlative at making reads, I think you're right on about him only making pre-snap reads. Unfortunately, that's what he was asked to do in college. In Detroit they asked to make post snap reads and he couldn't. He also hasn't done it here. I see no evidence that he will ever be able to do that and I don't think you could have superlative reading skills without being able to make a post snap read.

I also don't think he has enough accuracy to ever be considered a superlative passer. Reading and accuracy are what I consider the two most important traits for a QB. JH is lacking in those two areas.

Joey maybe a nice guy off the field Monday-Saturday, but C-PEP is a leader on the field. C-Pep can groom Troy " if we even draft him" so he can be ready for the future. Not too much Joey can teach Troy on the field, I mean maybe to throw INTS or bad passes. " Had to get that in there":lol:

How is Culpepper a leader on the field? He hasn't led his team to a winning record in the past "6" years...

2001: 4-7 as a starter
2002: 6-10
2003: 7-7
2004: 8-8
2005: 2-5
2006: 1-3

You really think that leading your team to a 28-43 record (mostly playing in the worst division in football...NFC North) in the past 71 games, while having some pretty good talent on your team is the mark of a good leader?

When it comes to Culpepper I think Saban confused the "Love Boat" with the "Titanic." IMO it is time to abandon ship. Why anyone would want this team to get sucked down in the vortex next year when SS Culpepper goes down again is beyond me.

How is Culpepper a leader on the field? He hasn't led his team to a winning record in the past "6" years...

You really think that leading your team to a 28-43 record (mostly playing in the worst division in football...NFC North) in the past 71 games, while having some pretty good talent on your team is the mark of a good leader?

When it comes to Culpepper I think Saban confused the "Love Boat" with the "Titanic." IMO it is time to abandon ship. Why anyone would want this team to get sucked down in the vortex next year when SS Culpepper goes down again is beyond me.

He'll be a leader here. I don't care about the past, I'm about the present and future with C-Pep. New team,new system. I feel comfortable with C-Pep as our Starter.

This is another reason I don't look up stats. Sometimes they just make you wanna cry. :boohoo: If anyone else has info such as this, feel free to keep it to yourself. Ignorance truly is bliss.:boohoo:

He'll be a leader here. I don't care about the past, I'm about the present and future with C-Pep. New team,new system. I feel comfortable with C-Pep as our Starter.

I questioned your post bc you referred to him as a leader "on the field" which indicates it has already been established. However, there is nothing in his career that suggests he is a leader. The present (2006) is he led Miami to a 1-3 record against the softest part of our schedule. The best indicator of the future is someone's behavior now and in the past unless something drastic occurs. What drastic thing that has happened this year indicates that Culpepper will become a leader in 2007? Other than wishful thinking...

While I don't agree he is superlative at making reads, I think you're right on about him only making pre-snap reads. Unfortunately, that's what he was asked to do in college. In Detroit they asked to make post snap reads and he couldn't. He also hasn't done it here. I see no evidence that he will ever be able to do that and I don't think you could have superlative reading skills without being able to make a post snap read.

I also don't think he has enough accuracy to ever be considered a superlative passer. Reading and accuracy are what I consider the two most important traits for a QB. JH is lacking in those two areas.

Well, have you seen Kitna's post snap reads in Detroit this year? :lol: Hard to make a proper read when your flat on your back before the recievers have run their routes, I just think this put it into Harrington that he has to rely on his pre-snap in order to get the ball off before getting sacked. And let's face it Miami's line has been a bit better but is still so sporadic that it would limit confidence in the time given to change up your read post snap. I think if he can get over the whole confidence issue with an O-Line that consistently gives him time that he would be less robotic and gain more poise in the pocket.

But the same has to apply to Culpepper, everyone criticized him for being to dumb to make reads etc.., early on in the year but as the season has progressed it becomes more and more obvious that the line just doesn't provide enough time to make reads downfield. I think Harrington was trying but when he did, either recievers weren't getting open or the Line was breaking down much the same as we saw with Culpepper.

I still contend that our biggest problem is a lack of a playmaker reciever.

Then O-Line we need to beef up the left side.

Then we start evaluating QB's.

For the last 5 or more years we've been swapping QB's without ever upgrading the line or the recieving crew and all QB's have failed. Eventually you have to start fixing the other problems to give these Qb's a fighting chance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom