I'm still a joey harrington supporter | Page 6 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

I'm still a joey harrington supporter

Status
Not open for further replies.
VManis said:
Ok maybe I shouldn't have used no one since there are seldom universal truths on players but most draft experts predicted he was going to be a top first round pick. I don't know what poll or GMs you are refering to but just look at these quotes I quickly found, which were issued at the time:

 Joel Buchsbaum, Pro Football Weekly

 Mel Kiper Jr., ESPN

- Mel Kiper, Jr. (after the draft)

- NFL.com

I'm actually not sure if they were anonymous. It may have been Brandt or one of the other retired GMs (GB guy maybe?) that were their usual sources. I just don't remember the names. But your quotes did jog my memory about Buchsbaum. His rant that day was about how the Lions had reached for JH. That quote makes him sound higher on JH than he actually was. He tried to be political by saying that some had him rated above Carr but when he said it he definately made it sound like it was a minority opinion. He and most others had him as a late first rounder at best.

VManis said:
I still support Joey as well. Why? Because the potential for him to be a very good QB is still there. In college he was very productive and a heisman finalist which led to his high draft status. At the time no one thought that it the Lions were reaching when they selected him. Joey has good pocket presence, makes quick decisions, has a quick release and a strong arm. His accuracy needs some work but its not as bad as some people make it out to be.

So what happened that he never realized his potential? Well for starters he played for the Lions. Has anyone emerged as a elite talent playing for that team in the past five years? Bad coaching, bad attitude, bad enviroment in general.

Secondly the Lions tried to fit a round peg in a square whole by forcing the WCO on him. It simply doesn't play to his strengths and hampered his development.

I think the whole Detroit experience killed his confidence, not only in himself but more importantly in the team concept. He doesn't seem to trust his teammates to stay in the game. So he tries to make something out of nothing. Against NE he finally seemed to by into the team concept and just take what was there. As a result we got a great team win.

This past week the coaching staff seemed intent on playing Wanny-ball. Had we mustered a more balance attack and converted one of those first two drives into points, I think the outcome of that game would have been dramatically different. I think once the Bills scored both the defense and Joey felt they had to press and win the game by themselves. As a result the wheels came off and the team as a whole fell apart.

So back to Joey. Can he get his head back on straight and become the player people thought he would be when he was drafted? IMO there is just as good a possibilty as that happening as us drafting and developing another QB. Heck I would say there is a better chance that either Joey lives up to expectations, Daunte recovers to his 2004 or Cleo emerges as a diamond in the rough then it would be to draft a QB. So I would rather use that draft pick on other talent and see what happens with the QBs we have.

Great post, couldn't have said it better myself. A Lot of people around here fail to realize our offense isn't a worldbeater to begin with. Unless u surround someone with loads of talent, what makes u think a younger qb will come in here and do a better job? We have no running game due to our offensive line, defenses have their way with us due to the lack of screen plays/running game. Playing the dolphins is a easy for week for opposing defense's and it's sure not because of Joey. He's the only thing they focus on. Joey passing the ball is the only way we get down the field right now. He makes mistakes, and has thrown bad passes, but what do you expect? He makes those mistakes because of Detroit. Because everytime he stepped back to pass in detroit, there was a guy in his face in 2 seconds. He's the least sacked qb in the NFL, which is another big reason for his mistakes. Sometimes u gotta just take the sack instead of forcing things. He's growing in front our our eyes in Miami. He's no Marino, but what he has to work with he's a lot better than most out there. Joey has never had a decent offensive line/running game in his career. Everythings always on his back. I like the way Saban is working him and truly beleive with a decent running attack and decent blocking he can be very very successful and continue to grow. That needs ot be our #1 priority this offseason, upgrade the OLINE! Joey is not the reason for our failures at all. Until people can realize that we are never going to get better.

Dolfan984 said:
omg there still people who want Joey at starter

Scary isn't it?

Reminds me of Eeyore from Whinny the pooh.

"Not much of a house for not much of a donkey".

Or in this case,

"Not much of a quarterback for not much of an offense"

:lol:

darrensls1 said:
Scary isn't it?

Reminds me of Eeyore from Whinny the pooh.

"Not much of a house for not much of a donkey".

Or in this case,

"Not much of a quarterback for not much of an offense"

:lol:

posing our questions to owl and Eeore as our days disappeared all to soon.....

Dolfan984 said:
omg there still people who want Joey at starter

omg there is still people want Daunte as our starter

darrensls1 said:
That is all very facinating but it doesn't change three things.

1). Joey Harrington throws too many interceptions.

2). Joey Harrington has accuracy issues on passes over 10 yards (which doesn't help #1 any).

3). We could all grow old waiting for him to live up to his "potential".

Or maybe, just maybe, this is as good as Harrington gets. Which is consistently inconsistent thus averaging him out to being barely average.

Ahem, this pretty much nails it for me.

unluckyluciano said:
So supporting a three time pro bowl qb who is injured is blind support? So give me some vision then if you may.
I can agree that he has done nothing for this team thus far but how much did you expect him to do given his current situation and the 4 games he played?

I think you are confusing blind support with a wait and see attitude. It is one thing to say lets wait and see if he can get back to a form close to what he was, as opposed to saying he is the greatest qb and the answer at qb.

It's been gone over thousands of times on this board. I've stated my opinion on the matter several time as well. I think it's nothing short of ridiculous that people are putting their faith in a guy that was good almost three years ago now. A healthy guy, playing for a completely different team, with an array of weapons at his disposal (something we just don't have here in Miami right now.) Not to mention the possibility that he may never become fully healthy again. Yes I call that blind faith. You guys are hopers, dreamers. You form your opinions using your heart instead of your brains.

When Culpepper shows us all that he's more than just a washed-up has-been i'll get on board with the rest of you Culpepper lovers.

Superself said:
Ahem, this pretty much nails it for me.

Harrington has played 10x better than culpepper as a whole. If u can;t see that you're blind, im not willing to throw Harrington under a bus for one bad performance under horrible conditions. In another post i showed that he has only seen that weather once before in his career and was 5/22 for 47 yards. Watch what he does against the Jets, then come back and talk again. this offense sitnks as a whole. What the heck do u expect. Im not throwing Culpepper under the bus either because of how bad our oline and offense as a whole is. But it's clear who has played better as a whole.

amay said:
Harrington has played 10x better than culpepper as a whole.

Really? Lets see.

Joey Harrington 2006 stats:

PCT.---YPA---TD---INT---Rating

57.9---5.88---12----15----68.8

Daunte Culpepper 2006 stats:

60.4---6.93----2-----3-----77.0

Wait, maybe Harringtons carrer average stats look better:

55.3---5.72---72----77----68.2

Or not. How about Dauntes career stats:

64.2---7.69---137---89-----90.8

Ouch. Your argument is not going very well.

amay said:
If u can;t see that you're blind, im not willing to throw Harrington under a bus for one bad performance under horrible conditions. In another post i showed that he has only seen that weather once before in his career and was 5/22 for 47 yards.

It's not just one bad performance. It's a whole career full of bad performance mixed with a lot of "medioce" performances mixed with far too few great performances. He has always thrown too many picks and is not accurate enough on deep passes.

amay said:
Watch what he does against the Jets, then come back and talk again. this offense sitnks as a whole. What the heck do u expect.

It won't matter what he does against the Jets. Because he has made a career of playing good, then bad, then ugly, then good, then bad, then ugly, ect. This all leads to 8/8 type seasons and a low scoring offense.

amay said:
Im not throwing Culpepper under the bus either because of how bad our oline and offense as a whole is. But it's clear who has played better as a whole.

I think Culpepper played better then Joey did and that was while in pain and with the not yet moved around O-line. I think it is clear which is the better QB too. Culpepper hands down. But whether he can stay healthy this time around remains to be seen. What doesn't remain to be seen is Joeys abilities. He is a 70ish passer rating QB with as many TD as INT (if not a few less) and not a big deep ball threat.

But Joey does make quick decisions and manages a game well when leading. All the things you want in a backup.

Joey 10x better...hahahahahahahaha the shame of it all is he SHOULD be but he is not... I had hope...more than a little, but CK was right, he is what he is

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom