I'm still a joey harrington supporter | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

I'm still a joey harrington supporter

Status
Not open for further replies.
brandon27 said:
I still think he has the chance to be successful somewhere. I kind of considered this to really be his rookie year. He learned absolutely nothing in Detroit, no coaching, no team, nothing at all. He's definately shown improvement this year, sure last week was terrible... beyond terrible really. But... hey guys have bad games. I dont think you can write the guy off yet. He's definately not going to be a montana... or elway, or manning... but... I just dont feel we've seen enough of him... because his first 4 years in Detroit, were comparable to him playing for a high school team haha

Do i think he's a starter? possibly. for us? i dont think so. not with Daunte still on the roster. Do I think Daunte is the starter? If he's healthy, and playing smart football again, not that junk he was playing before his injury. But thats neither here nor there at this point.

I beleive next year is going to be a repeat of this year and i don't want to see it happen. I don't think Daunte can succeed without much needed help, which we don't offer here. We cannot upgrade our offense enough to let Daunte succeed. I am already writing him off. I don't however see harrington being a Marino or Manning, but i do see him getting better and being successful. He beat a lot of very good teams for us. He's getting better. I just don't want to lose another season with him behind the helm. I want Joey from start to finish, through the good and bad. I beleive had he started since day 1 we would be playoff bound this year. I don;t want to start 1 / 3 again next year with Daunte and have to go to Joey again. I wan to give him a fair chance at a season, not expect him to win out, like we needed this year. Get some help in the OLINE, let Joey run this offense and see how we do next year. He seems to be doing very well overall if u discount last weeks game. I also think he is going to have his best game of his career against the Jets next week at home.

fishypete said:
I support the Dolphins....so I guess that covers everyone.

Great post Pete.

That is something people overlook. Sure, I've bashed Joey pretty bad sometimes but it is just me trying to be honest. Hell, I remember screaming about Danny playing like crap back in the day.

Just because you say honestly that a guy is playing like crap does not mean you hate the guy. I want every single Dolphin player to play at the highest level they can so the TEAM can win.

There are a lot of poeple here with an agenda. They are more concerned with being able to start a thread that says "I told you so" then the team winning.

KuD said:
It's pretty self-explanitory. He hasn't done anything to benefit this team thus far.

Yeah, Joey is a slug :D

How someone (Joey Harrington) with such limited ability has gotten such a faithful following is a mystery to me.

Gee, lets keep starting Joey, I really want lots more losses like last week . . . NOT! Keep Joey as a backup, end of story. Daunte will be our QB next year, whether the Daunte-haters like it or not.

I still support Joey as well. Why? Because the potential for him to be a very good QB is still there. In college he was very productive and a heisman finalist which led to his high draft status. At the time no one thought that it the Lions were reaching when they selected him. Joey has good pocket presence, makes quick decisions, has a quick release and a strong arm. His accuracy needs some work but its not as bad as some people make it out to be.

So what happened that he never realized his potential? Well for starters he played for the Lions. Has anyone emerged as a elite talent playing for that team in the past five years? Bad coaching, bad attitude, bad enviroment in general.

Secondly the Lions tried to fit a round peg in a square whole by forcing the WCO on him. It simply doesn't play to his strengths and hampered his development.

I think the whole Detroit experience killed his confidence, not only in himself but more importantly in the team concept. He doesn't seem to trust his teammates to stay in the game. So he tries to make something out of nothing. Against NE he finally seemed to by into the team concept and just take what was there. As a result we got a great team win.

This past week the coaching staff seemed intent on playing Wanny-ball. Had we mustered a more balance attack and converted one of those first two drives into points, I think the outcome of that game would have been dramatically different. I think once the Bills scored both the defense and Joey felt they had to press and win the game by themselves. As a result the wheels came off and the team as a whole fell apart.

So back to Joey. Can he get his head back on straight and become the player people thought he would be when he was drafted? IMO there is just as good a possibilty as that happening as us drafting and developing another QB. Heck I would say there is a better chance that either Joey lives up to expectations, Daunte recovers to his 2004 or Cleo emerges as a diamond in the rough then it would be to draft a QB. So I would rather use that draft pick on other talent and see what happens with the QBs we have.

Slappy8800 said:
Im not gonna be on the bandwagon one week, off the next like some people. I still think Joey can be successful here.

flame away.

I once met a guy who still supported the theory that the earth was at the center of the galaxy. I think you two would get along.

KuD said:
It's pretty self-explanitory. He hasn't done anything to benefit this team thus far.

So supporting a three time pro bowl qb who is injured is blind support? So give me some vision then if you may.
I can agree that he has done nothing for this team thus far but how much did you expect him to do given his current situation and the 4 games he played?

I think you are confusing blind support with a wait and see attitude. It is one thing to say lets wait and see if he can get back to a form close to what he was, as opposed to saying he is the greatest qb and the answer at qb.

unifiedtheory said:
Great post Pete.

That is something people overlook. Sure, I've bashed Joey pretty bad sometimes but it is just me trying to be honest. Hell, I remember screaming about Danny playing like crap back in the day.

Just because you say honestly that a guy is playing like crap does not mean you hate the guy. I want every single Dolphin player to play at the highest level they can so the TEAM can win.

There are a lot of poeple here with an agenda. They are more concerned with being able to start a thread that says "I told you so" then the team winning.

:yeahthat:

Yea, I support Joey, and would love to see him put up 500yards and 5 TDs. But I know he has been playing average at best for like all but 2 games this season. I don't blindly support Joey, or any other player, and will voice my opinion of them if I see fit(whether in defense of an argument, or for it). I would hope every DOLPHINS fan supported Joey. I know that's not the case, just like it isn't the case with many other posters here not supporting our other players. Where they resort to name calling to degrade players/personell: "Moolarky" "Culpooper" etc
Just because you analyze and critique a player, doesn't mean you don't support them.

Slappy8800 said:
.....dude Chambers has been dropping balls all season no matter who the QB was..

as for the why draft troy smith......i draft him and let him sit 2 years and study....then, its simple , we get younger....we have to get younger as a whole.

I don't want any part of Troy Smith, but I do respect the fact that you don't flip-flop your opinions constantly like some people.

VManis said:
I still support Joey as well. Why? Because the potential for him to be a very good QB is still there. In college he was very productive and a heisman finalist which led to his high draft status. At the time no one thought that it the Lions were reaching when they selected him.

Actually that's not true. Immediately after the draft ESPN reported that two anonymous GMs they had spoken to said they had JH rated in the 2nd and 3rd rounds respectively. Their unofficial poll one year later found no other team that had JH rated as a first round QB. That's when the snickers first started about Millen as a GM.

unifiedtheory said:
Great post Pete.

:eek: Don't talk about the agenda!!! If they figure it out, where will we be then!?

rafael said:
Actually that's not true. Immediately after the draft ESPN reported that two anonymous GMs they had spoken to said they had JH rated in the 2nd and 3rd rounds respectively. Their unofficial poll one year later found no other team that had JH rated as a first round QB. That's when the snickers first started about Millen as a GM.

Ok maybe I shouldn't have used no one since there are seldom universal truths on players but most draft experts predicted he was going to be a top first round pick. I don't know what poll or GMs you are refering to but just look at these quotes I quickly found, which were issued at the time:

While some people rate QB Joey Harrington ahead of Carr and possibly the No. 1 pick in the entire draft, others feel he is more of a later first-round selection.
 Joel Buchsbaum, Pro Football Weekly

"Possesses all the intangibles; demonstrates leadership qualities and an ability to rally the troops. He's a clutch fourth-quarter quarterback who deals well with pressure. He has a presence and an aura about him in the huddle. He commands respect from his teammates. He is mobile and has above-average arm strength. And he's proven he can play in adverse weather conditions."
 Mel Kiper Jr., ESPN

This was a decision Lions coach Marty Mornhinweg had to make based on his assessment of Mike McMahon, whom the Lions drafted last year. Harrington is the third highest player on my draft board and deserved to go in this area. Playing in Mike Bellotti's offense at Oregon, Harrington is a great fit for Mornhinweg's West Coast scheme. Harrington, who has a Brett Favre-like flair for the dramatic, was a highly productive quarterback and one I had rated only slightly behind Carr. But he outperformed Carr at the NFL scouting combine, showing tremendous touch and accuracy on deep balls and more than adequate arm strength.
- Mel Kiper, Jr. (after the draft)

Improved his mechanics during his senior season. Did not play in the Senior Bowl due to a knee injury suffered in the East-West Shrine Game. Could go in the top 10, but likely not before Carr.
- NFL.com

VManis said:
I still support Joey as well. Why? Because the potential for him to be a very good QB is still there. In college he was very productive and a heisman finalist which led to his high draft status. At the time no one thought that it the Lions were reaching when they selected him. Joey has good pocket presence, makes quick decisions, has a quick release and a strong arm. His accuracy needs some work but its not as bad as some people make it out to be.

So what happened that he never realized his potential? Well for starters he played for the Lions. Has anyone emerged as a elite talent playing for that team in the past five years? Bad coaching, bad attitude, bad enviroment in general.

Secondly the Lions tried to fit a round peg in a square whole by forcing the WCO on him. It simply doesn't play to his strengths and hampered his development.

I think the whole Detroit experience killed his confidence, not only in himself but more importantly in the team concept. He doesn't seem to trust his teammates to stay in the game. So he tries to make something out of nothing. Against NE he finally seemed to by into the team concept and just take what was there. As a result we got a great team win.

This past week the coaching staff seemed intent on playing Wanny-ball. Had we mustered a more balance attack and converted one of those first two drives into points, I think the outcome of that game would have been dramatically different. I think once the Bills scored both the defense and Joey felt they had to press and win the game by themselves. As a result the wheels came off and the team as a whole fell apart.

So back to Joey. Can he get his head back on straight and become the player people thought he would be when he was drafted? IMO there is just as good a possibilty as that happening as us drafting and developing another QB. Heck I would say there is a better chance that either Joey lives up to expectations, Daunte recovers to his 2004 or Cleo emerges as a diamond in the rough then it would be to draft a QB. So I would rather use that draft pick on other talent and see what happens with the QBs we have.

That is all very facinating but it doesn't change three things.

1). Joey Harrington throws too many interceptions.

2). Joey Harrington has accuracy issues on passes over 10 yards (which doesn't help #1 any).

3). We could all grow old waiting for him to live up to his "potential".

Or maybe, just maybe, this is as good as Harrington gets. Which is consistently inconsistent thus averaging him out to being barely average.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom