imagine your son or grandson is an NFL player | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

imagine your son or grandson is an NFL player

I need them to first lock up a long term extension cause I need my retirement home built first and money for sports cars.

Then, they can do what they want.

Immediately retire? Of course not.

But more importantly, if you were that concerned about concussions and CTE, you wouldn’t be letting your son or grandson play football in middle school or high school or college when they’re taking brain damage for free.

Now that your son or grandson is on top of the world, starting at QB for an NFL team and leading the NFL in passer rating and on pace for a $300 million contract, THAT is when you’re going to decide brain safety comes first?

No. These folks made this call a long time ago. Every single non-kicker in the NFL is at high risk for life-ruining CTE whether or not they ever suffer a diagnosed concussion. If you want to play in the NFL, you have to make peace with that.

But anyway, concussions are mostly a bogeyman being highlighted by the NFL because they know they can’t solve the real problem. The science suggests CTE is not caused by concussions—it’s caused by frequent and repeated sub-concussive blows. Concussions or no concussions, Tua is no more or less likely to be debilitated by brain damage in 20 years than the rest of the team. Concussions are just what the NFL can point to and pretend they’re doing something to prevent the brain damage that is going to befall some portion of these guys due to the nature of the sport.
This. Thank you - you win post of the year

During the past couple of months your NFL player son or grandson had 2 or 3 concussions. Do you now want him to immediately retire from playing football ?
This is a yes or no question. Please do not write "it's his life and his choice" or "it's up to the doctor (s) to decide" or "NFL HOF'ers have had hundreds of concussions"
Please reply only with a yes or no answer.
No.

“Son, let’s just say your next concussion could be your last one. Would you rather it come in a random car accident? Perhaps a slip in the shower? Or trying to stand up out of bed when the bones are frail because the end is near? If you ask me, I say bring it on the battle field. See, death comes with a crawl or comes with a pounce and whether he’s slow or spry, it isn’t the fact that your dead that counts but only how did you die?”

First thing I’d advise is to get a new freakin helmet. Then learn how to fall.

My rule in parenting is to try to teach the best principles I know, and let my kids make their choices.

No.

“Son, let’s just say your next concussion could be your last one. Would you rather it come in a random car accident? Perhaps a slip in the shower? Or trying to stand up out of bed when the bones are frail because the end is near? If you ask me, I say bring it on the battle field. See, death comes with a crawl or comes with a pounce and whether he’s slow or spry, it isn’t the fact that your dead that counts but only how did you die?”

That's great if you're living as a Viking in 700 A.D., when people didn't live past 40.

Tua is a young man in his early 29s. If he suffers another major concussion on the field (which is likely), he might have to live another 70 years with TBI.

Tua's dad is probably calling him a disgrace to the family name. If you've ever seen the Tua documentary. He basically raised him to be an NFL quarterback.
I doubt that. A disgrace? If he's his Dad and gives half a toss about him the last thing he will think of him is a disgrace. Tua has done superb at Alabama and certainly not let his NFL team, coaches, team mates and fanbase down. He's a warrior in my eyes.
You can raise your kids anyway you want but their is no blueprint or perfect plan. If his old man is that blinkered he should have tried to play a professional contact sport himself. Maybe he did, I've not watched the doc.

First thing I’d advise is to get a new freakin helmet. Then learn how to fall.

My rule in parenting is to try to teach the best principles I know, and let my kids make their choices.
I actually think his hip injury and the time off is making him twist and fall differently when tackled which is exposing his head being snapped back into the turf. His muscle memory is putting his body into harms way with the head injury now. Probably wrong. Nobody had mentioned his previous injury but I genuinely think its contributing to his body position when getting tackled. Maybe he can spend some time with the likes of Drew Brees and get some info and tips on longevity.

It would never get that far. I never let my son play football. Plenty of other sports out there with way less risk of injury.

But if it got that far I’d probably still say no. Let him rest this off-season and see if he gets another next season. Would probably be time to retire if that happens next year.

I come from nrl supporter rugby background. It comes with territory he knows risks and tbh his old man would be telling him to play

Great question. My son played tackle football starting in 2nd grade. As a little kid, I always told him, after the first concussion, you're done.
He was a WR, so he wasn't running into a pile all the time, but still, chances were there to get a head-knocking.
He got through HS without ever getting a concussion.
He actually ended up getting a concussion one night messing around with some guys, then another time playing flag football during covid.
He was then on a college/trade school team, and by that time he was 19 or 20, not a little kid, so I didn't say anything about concussions. We got him a special helmet, (which of course didn't end up fitting right) and he made it half way through the season before he messed something up in his knee and decided to call it quits on his own.
I'm glad he's done, but the concussion thing made me nervous every game I sat through.

Of course I would.

3 concussion in three months would lead me to encouraging retirement if asked for my opinion.

Back
Top Bottom