imagine your son or grandson is an NFL player | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

imagine your son or grandson is an NFL player

That's great if you're living as a Viking in 700 A.D., when people didn't live past 40.

Tua is a young man in his early 29s. If he suffers another major concussion on the field (which is likely), he might have to live another 70 years with TBI.
”If”… “Might”… crucial words.

“Live” is another one. What is living H.P.? Are you living?

Me? Slave to bills. Servant to women. Captive of my profession. Am I truly living?

This thread is laughable because the only correct answer is that it’s up to son or grandson- what is living for them and worth dying for.

Dan Le Batard asked Zach Thomas in an interview if Zach would trade years of his life for 1 Super Bowl win and the answer was met with indignant laughter because Dan already knew the answer. And any of you who saw Zach play know the answer.

There’s a reason Brady is still holding on. I mean, Brady? REALLY? WHY? What in the actual f@ck? What more is there left to prove?

I’d look my son dead in the eye and promise him one thing and the only thing I can state with any certainty; you’ll never be this young again.

Last edited:
Immediately retire? Of course not.

But more importantly, if you were that concerned about concussions and CTE, you wouldn’t be letting your son or grandson play football in middle school or high school or college when they’re taking brain damage for free.

Now that your son or grandson is on top of the world, starting at QB for an NFL team and leading the NFL in passer rating and on pace for a $300 million contract, THAT is when you’re going to decide brain safety comes first?

No. These folks made this call a long time ago. Every single non-kicker in the NFL is at high risk for life-ruining CTE whether or not they ever suffer a diagnosed concussion. If you want to play in the NFL, you have to make peace with that.

But anyway, concussions are mostly a bogeyman being highlighted by the NFL because they know they can’t solve the real problem. The science suggests CTE is not caused by concussions—it’s caused by frequent and repeated sub-concussive blows. Concussions or no concussions, Tua is no more or less likely to be debilitated by brain damage in 20 years than the rest of the team. Concussions are just what the NFL can point to and pretend they’re doing something to prevent the brain damage that is going to befall some portion of these guys due to the nature of the sport.
I had to read this again because it’s so spot on and so good. It’s amazing how the NFL marketing machine had gotten many of us to forget this simple truth - that a the big concussive blow doesn’t give you CTE. It’s the subconcussive micro blows that happen on every play since you started in pee wee. Thanks for keeping it real. Wow, the Pats had 3 guys out w concussions yesterday. We had 2. NFL is winning the disinformation / deception campaign

Immediately retire? Of course not.

But more importantly, if you were that concerned about concussions and CTE, you wouldn’t be letting your son or grandson play football in middle school or high school or college when they’re taking brain damage for free.

Now that your son or grandson is on top of the world, starting at QB for an NFL team and leading the NFL in passer rating and on pace for a $300 million contract, THAT is when you’re going to decide brain safety comes first?

No. These folks made this call a long time ago. Every single non-kicker in the NFL is at high risk for life-ruining CTE whether or not they ever suffer a diagnosed concussion. If you want to play in the NFL, you have to make peace with that.

But anyway, concussions are mostly a bogeyman being highlighted by the NFL because they know they can’t solve the real problem. The science suggests CTE is not caused by concussions—it’s caused by frequent and repeated sub-concussive blows. Concussions or no concussions, Tua is no more or less likely to be debilitated by brain damage in 20 years than the rest of the team. Concussions are just what the NFL can point to and pretend they’re doing something to prevent the brain damage that is going to befall some portion of these guys due to the nature of the sport.

Great post and great points.

Both of my sons asked to play football. They were both told no. In hindsight, neither would have had a chance to go anywhere with it but our choice was made before attempting to find that out.

Last edited:
”If”… “Might”… crucial words.

“Live” is another one. What is living H.P.? Are you living?

Me? Slave to bills. Servant to women. Captive of my profession. Am I truly living?

This thread is laughable because the only correct answer is that it’s up to son or grandson- what is living for them and worth dying for.

Dan Le Batard asked Zach Thomas in an interview if Zach would trade years of his life for 1 Super Bowl win and the answer was met with indignant laughter because Dan already knew the answer. And any of you who saw Zach play know the answer.

There’s a reason Brady is still holding on. I mean, Brady? REALLY? WHY? What in the actual f@ck? What more is there left to prove?

I’d look my son dead in the eye and promise him one thing and the only thing I can state with any certainty; you’ll never be this young again.

You make some very good points, but a person can still do lots of real living without putting themselves in harm's way. Having said that, "real living" varies from person to person. Since he was raised like a Jedi padowan to become the next great quarterback, Tua might not have any other loves in life. That makes it a very difficult question for him.

People need to research a little on concussions and CTE. Without going into crazy detail contrary to popular belief concussions don’t cause CTE, repeated blows to the head do. Considering he’s a qb the repeated blows shouldn’t be a problem. In previous studies prior to recent information obtained which lead to the finding it’s repeated hits rather than concussions, the average person with CTE had 17 concussions on average. Going off prior and recent info for CTE, Tua is in danger of neither. I’d assume the average linebacker/lineman are way more prone to future brain related problems even with 0 diagnosed concussions than Tua is with his 2 or 3.

During the past couple of months your NFL player son or grandson had 2 or 3 concussions. Do you now want him to immediately retire from playing football ?
This is a yes or no question. Please do not write "it's his life and his choice" or "it's up to the doctor (s) to decide" or "NFL HOF'ers have had hundreds of concussions"
Please reply only with a yes or no answer.
I wish more of this woke generation had the same stance, opinion, and concerns on my military. Yes, yes, yes is my answer.

Overall it’s a good thing obviously that we have increased awareness on concussions and things like that, but way too many people cross a line and just seem soft as hell.

Thousands of players in different contact sports have gotten multiple concussions. It’s not a death sentence. The majority of people who sustain a few concussions have minimal lasting effects.

No. But I wouldn’t let my son play football to begin with, and his mom (a physician) sure as bleep wouldn’t.

For the humans who make the choice to play, you work with the physicians. It’s a different path for the guys who choose to be gladiators. They aren’t you and me.

Tua’s Dad would be the first person in his circle to tell him to get his candy ass back onto the field as soon as he’s cleared……..or else. And better not make no mistakes.

LZ16.gif

No. Galu is too busy spending Tua’s money at this point.

I would've been much more concerned about the vaccine and the NFL trying to force my son or grandson to take it. I would've suggested he consider retirement in that circumstance, but he definitely makes his own choices. Because I raised him, he would've been wise to all of this anyway and he wouldn't be concerned over the latest "science driven" bs agenda and hysteria associtated with these "concussions." He also wouldn't have any respect for Mike McDaniel as a coach.

Back
Top Bottom