Importance of NFL caliber running backs | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Importance of NFL caliber running backs

Sirspud

Pro Bowler
Club Member
Reaction score
RB is definitely the last position you need to address in a rebuild...but we've had three years not to bring in any decent running backs and the answer we've settled on is Malcom Brown.

In 2/4 games we've played this year we've had both teams offenses come out the gate with neither team's passing games being able to get much traction. Early game momentum was decide or shifted in both instances by a big run from an RB who doesn't make that run without first or second draft day talent. What a boost it is to a team's prospects to be able to have a back change a game by ripping off a big scoring run, and take the onus off the QB for being solely responsible for any big plays. I pointed out all year along what a mistake the team was making by not giving our QB's a boost by bringing in anyone really capable of taking the load off QB's, especially when the offensive line is going to be....offensive. It's sad how underused Gaskin is right now in the offense, but even still Gaskin is a guy who helps the offense by being a nice component in the pass game and being able to generate consistent positive yardage with good reads, but he simply doesn't have the skill to make defenders miss or break tackles at the second level.

How much better could this team be if just once they got a play from their RB that completed changed the game?

This isn't about not drafting X or Y player, because some of the RBs fans on here have fixated over I don't think are going to be very good, or worth where they would have been drafted. It's about the fact that we've had the chance to draft any number of good RB prospects over the last few years and haven't drafted any of them. And as an organizational philosophy, we seem to willfully embrace guys with marginal physical talent under Flores. We learned all the wrong lessons from New England, who won never developing a running back and constantly shuffling them, something they were able to do because they had freaking Tom Brady, Josh McDaniels, and a line and system that had been built over twenty years.

They are vital, specially when they are special talents. Derrick Henry would do good on any team.

Put a true franchise qb and Rb on this team and watch how this offensive line SUDDENLY becomes a force!! See how this offense suddenly explodes and fires on all cylinders.

Put a true franchise qb and Rb on this team and watch how this offensive line SUDDENLY becomes a force!! See how this offense suddenly explodes and fires on all cylinders.

I agree, a better QB and RB can extend our drives and at least make opposing defense tired and make our O line look better.

It's kind of funny how they have no interest in getting a quality franchise RB and say the RB's they have now are good enough, but then use them in games like they have no faith in them. If Gaskin is our guy, why does he only get like 2 carries? Ok so he can't block as well. So he's just never going to be used?

I don't think we had a problem at RB. I think Gaskin was passable. I think Ahmed was a nice change of pace, but Gaskin good find small seams and get yards, he was a really big threat as a receiver, he was willing to block even if not big enough to always be optimal.

For some reason we want to the productive, proven slasher/all-purpose guy to Malcolm Brown who from what I've seen doesn't do anything. Doesn't move the pile. Gets run over by pass rushers. Is an easy target when he slowly hits the hole.

Benching Gaskin and in fact barely playing him is one of the biggest indictments of Flores for me, so far. I think the Fitz to Tua change last year was the most obvious, but this is up there.

I’m no longer going to sit up her and pound my fist for RB cause this regime clearly doesn’t value them. At this point fire Grier
I definitely agree that this regime wouldn't know a good RB or know what to do with them. They'll only ever know a good RB if a truly front line one falls into their laps, forget ever developing one. Much like the only frontlined RB the Pats ever had was when Corey Dillon was sold low by Cincy after Rudi Johnson's emergence.

The "Patriot Way"

I don't think we had a problem at RB. I think Gaskin was passable. I think Ahmed was a nice change of pace, but Gaskin good find small seams and get yards, he was a really big threat as a receiver, he was willing to block even if not big enough to always be optimal.

For some reason we want to the productive, proven slasher/all-purpose guy to Malcolm Brown who from what I've seen doesn't do anything. Doesn't move the pile. Gets run over by pass rushers. Is an easy target when he slowly hits the hole.

Benching Gaskin and in fact barely playing him is one of the biggest indictments of Flores for me, so far. I think the Fitz to Tua change last year was the most obvious, but this is up there.
It seems like the team rightfully realized that they could take a load off the QB if they fed the run game more, and they also realized that Gaskin isn't really a guy you ride heavily every drive. The problem is that the team came to this realization several weeks into the season when the only guy on the roster who has the size of an NFL starter is Malcom Brown, who also happens to suck.

Malcom Brown is basically going to their bottom tier of Dolphin running backs we've seen get significant run, along with Lamar Gordon and Kalen Ballage. I would put Arian Foster on their, but he gets bonus points for realizing (when the coach wouldn't) that he was physically incapable of performing and doing the honorable thing by retiring.

I guess I look at it and I see Gaskin's averaging 4.2 yards per carry for his career and even 5.1 ypc this year with this atrocious line and has 60 career receptions while being largely an afterthought, and, when looking at the rest of this team, that's really not that bad.

Back
Top Bottom