Importance of NFL caliber running backs | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Importance of NFL caliber running backs

Wanted Taylor last year and Najee this year. I’ll say it 2,000 more times if needed though it obviously makes no difference.

Grier stinks.

I guess I look at it and I see Gaskin's averaging 4.2 yards per carry for his career and even 5.1 ypc this year with this atrocious line and has 60 career receptions while being largely an afterthought, and, when looking at the rest of this team, that's really not that bad.
Yeah the YPC isn't bad, it's not about saying a guy is a bad player. It's about saying what the team lacks even when he's on the field. Gaskin doesn't have the ability to take many carries to the house. His career long is 27 yards! And that's not something really random, it's that he doesn't have any calling card skill in the league that will allow him to get through the second level. He's not going to outrun, outpower, or outjuke a defensive back, and that's entirely reflected in his career long that shows that he's never gotten past the secondary.

My whole point is that about the impact a running back that can contribute a big scoring run or a high level run can have on the game. Gaskin, for all the good he does, doesn't have that ability.

Gaskin has a good YPC. Matt Breida also had a higher YPC than him last year and a higher YPC for his career as well. So its not about the YPC alone.

The running game is the least of the Fins problems... Come on man...
As far as I can see this may be the worst offense in the league right now so it's hard to say that we don't have to worry about the running game. Entering today's terrible effort the team was 23 in rushing yardage, 29th in offensive yardage, and 30th in points. And I don't think any of that is getting appreciably better after today. It's entirely obvious that in terms of physical talent and the eye test our backs are pretty bottom tier. The run game isn't good on its own by any means, and the offense as a whole is bad, and nothing on the team is helped by not having running backs of worth.

Regardless, I pointed out what two teams having physically capable running backs has done against us.

As far as I can see this may be the worst offense in the league right now so it's hard to say that we don't have to worry about the running game. Entering today's terrible effort the team was 23 in rushing yardage, 29th in offensive yardage, and 30th in points. And I don't think any of that is getting appreciably better after today. It's entirely obvious that in terms of physical talent and the eye test our backs are pretty bottom tier. The run game isn't good on its own by any means, and the offense as a whole is bad, and nothing on the team is helped by not having running backs of worth.

Regardless, I pointed out what two teams having physically capable running backs has done against us.
Fins didnt lose any game this year because they couldnt run the ball... they lost because of stupid playcalling and having unreliable guys playing for them... ie, why is Grant still on this team?

It's very important to have playmakers, especially in the backfield, including the QB. Need to have players at WR, RB, QB who play with energy, who can extend plays, who can get extra yards, every time, play after play after play. We just do not have that. Our skill positions are very lethargic. Ferraris are very important.

When OCs say take what they give us vs we’re gonna run it everyone on the field knows it and you can’t stop us. It opens everything up it’s hard to believe a professional football team can only push the other team 35 yards in an entire game.

Someone has to go especially watching Taylor abuse this defense when we picked Iggy what a joke

Fins didnt lose any game this year because they couldnt run the ball... they lost because of stupid playcalling and having unreliable guys playing for them... ie, why is Grant still on this team?
Oh how playcalling can change when you've got a running back who is capable of changing the game when he touches the ball. Or when you know that your chance of scoring in the game isn't entirely dependent upon the passing game because nobody in your RB stable has that much scoring potential.

My argument has never been that other parts of the team don't suck. This team is really a completed joke right now.

I happen to remember a season 5 years ago where the team was 1-4 with their only win being an overtime victory over a Cleveland Browns team that would win a single game. And that team went 8-2 the rest of the season, despite losing their starting QB, all because a running back showed dominant potential, dictated our offense's playcalling and transformation into a play action passing attack, and forced defenses to play us a certain way even if the RB himself didn't have a dominant game.

It's sheer hogwash to say that a running game we could lean on couldn't improve the fortunes of the entire offense. The problem is we don't have a single RB on the roster that has gamebreaking potential. We've actively tried to set the tone with Malcom Brown the last two weeks (you don't think it's a coincidence that the team realized it should stop being so pass heavy, suddenly they are starting and giing the lion's share of carries to Brown, do you?), but Malcom Brown is simply not good.

Bills exposed that Gaskin can’t block a LB. That’s why he hasn’t been playing much imo.

Same with Geiski. Teams are keying off their pressure to abuse the poor blockers in Miami.

Yeah the YPC isn't bad, it's not about saying a guy is a bad player. It's about saying what the team lacks even when he's on the field. Gaskin doesn't have the ability to take many carries to the house. His career long is 27 yards! And that's not something really random, it's that he doesn't have any calling card skill in the league that will allow him to get through the second level. He's not going to outrun, outpower, or outjuke a defensive back, and that's entirely reflected in his career long that shows that he's never gotten past the secondary.

My whole point is that about the impact a running back that can contribute a big scoring run or a high level run can have on the game. Gaskin, for all the good he does, doesn't have that ability.

Gaskin has a good YPC. Matt Breida also had a higher YPC than him last year and a higher YPC for his career as well. So its not about the YPC alone.

I'm not going to get into a back and forth on this so this will be my last post about it. This isn't personal and it doesn't require us to be responding into the night. I think Gaskin is fine. I don't think the Dolphins are a great back away from being 3-1. I don't know many RBs anymore that are breaking off long runs but I remember Gaskin breaking a long run off a pass reception against the Raiders last year so I think the whole thing about him not having game-breaking speed was overblown. Gaskin moved the sticks. He was sufficient. He was consistent and dependable. Until that can be said for our QBing, our blocking, our pass rush, our tackling and our special teams, it's hard for me to say Najee Davenport or D'Andre Swift was going to make this huge difference in the Dolphins.

What a Dumb fkn thread!
Pittsburgh drafted Najee Harris and and came in to week 4 with literally the Worst running game in football

Anyone that thinks a "better RB" is going to fix the downright horrific OL play is delusional and also ignorant as far as football goes.

I'm not going to get into a back and forth on this so this will be my last post about it. This isn't personal and it doesn't require us to be responding into the night. I think Gaskin is fine. I don't think the Dolphins are a great back away from being 3-1. I don't know many RBs anymore that are breaking off long runs but I remember Gaskin breaking a long run off a pass reception against the Raiders last year so I think the whole thing about him not having game-breaking speed was overblown. Gaskin moved the sticks. He was sufficient. He was consistent and dependable. Until that can be said for our QBing, our blocking, our pass rush, our tackling and our special teams, it's hard for me to say Najee Davenport or D'Andre Swift was going to make this huge difference in the Dolphins.
Doesn't really make sense to me to talk about how effective a guy is an RB and then list his only big play which was a pass play. It's a lot different catching a pass and getting an avenue than it us having to get past all 11 defenders in line on a running play. I've never disparaged what Gaskin offers in the passing game, he's quite good at it as are lots of rotational pieces commonly called third down backs, but my point is about what the running game could do to alleviate the burden on the passing game.

Anyone that thinks a "better RB" is going to fix the downright horrific OL play is delusional and also ignorant as far as football goes.
Would seem to me that if you don't understand how lack of a running threat makes you one dimensional, which dictates how the defense plays you, which means they will attack your offensive line even more mercilessly, it seems to be you are the one whose knowledge of football is limited.

Not to mention that it's a pretty common knowledge that you actually get better line play overall by giving your linemen run blocking opportunities, allowing them to be the aggressors and attackers rather than the defenders in pass pro.

Back
Top Bottom