Interview with Mike McDaniel Requested | Page 36 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Interview with Mike McDaniel Requested

really like him, just worried about the staff he can build. but for some reason i hope he gets it. i think he can to great things, but again what staff can he put together?

I agree, he's too much of a nerd. We should have a bench press competition for head coach.
Haha a head coach combine. That seems to be exactly what some of these people that are saying looks matter are wanting. It doesn’t matter if they can coach, it only matters if they can bench 500 pounds. We need our own version of the underwear Olympics to choose our next coach.

I’ve officially boiled my HC wishlist to one of these scenarios:

#1- They’ve secretly been talking with Pederson since Flores was canned and he’s been the guy all along.

or….

#2- We fail to get Pederson, but act decisively and hire McDaniel before somebody else can.

#3- There is no #3. If we can’t land Pederson or McDaniel, Miami should wait to hire an HC until after the 2022 season. All coaching decisions for the upcoming season will be made via a series of weekly polls from Finheaven posters.

I was initially intrigued by the idea of appointing McDaniel as HC, but over the past week, looking more into it, and seeing what SF fans and the players he has worked with have said, I’m sold on the idea of bringing him in. I do have a feeling though that we’re not going to appoint McDaniel due to Ross likely wanting instant results, and that we’ll go for an experienced coach with proven results as a HC in the league, but Mike McDaniel is the option I would personally take. Whichever direction we choose to go in, whether McDaniel or someone else, it’s vital that we get the support structure right, both in the coaches we have, and the players we bring in and retain. Changing coaches every season, two OCs, a completely new roster every season etc. It doesn’t help, and it certainly doesn’t foster a winning culture. If we are to become successful again, the HC will be a big part of this, but we need to also give them the tools to succeed.

McDaniel is not the disciplinarian Brian Flores seemed to be, but maybe that is a good thing. He’s young, of course, but we also have a young roster, and there’s a chance they connect with his philosophy and way of playing over a strict taskmaster like Flores. Leadership can be found in the ‘alpha male’ type who rules with an iron fist, but it can also be found in the man who inspires others by being relatable and showing that you don’t need to shout to get a point across. Being the loudest man in the room doesn’t make you the most intelligent one in the room. He happens to remind me a lot of soccer coach Jurgen Klopp in how he explains the game, and not just based on their similar nerdish look. They both emphasise coaching based on collaboration and the need for everybody at all levels to be on the same page and being able to have input. To take a quote from the German, who has become one of the most highly-regarded coaches in sport: “That’s what leadership is: have strong people around you with a better knowledge in different departments than yourself, don’t act like you know everything. My confidence is big enough that I can really let people grow next to me, it’s no problem.” To quote McDaniel on the situation with the 49ers: "It's a very collaborative situation that Kyle Shanahan really creates on his coaching staff. And in that process, you have a voice and you're part of all different phases".

As an example of the relationship he has with the players, both young and veterans, he was credited as one of the main reasons Kyle Juszczyk signed a new deal with the 49ers. To quote Juszczyk, “My relationship with Mike had a huge, huge influence on me coming back, because I'm extremely comfortable with him”, and the fullback even invited McDaniel to his wedding in 2019. Of course, can this type of relationship with players carry over from OC to HC? We’ve seen the move be too much for many more experienced coaches than McDaniel over the years. I see appointing McDaniel as a chance to implement a long-term philosophy within the franchise, and a chance to break out of the rut. Despite only being 38 (the same age Flores was when appointed in Miami), it’s worth noting that he has over 10 years experience in the league, and it’s not as if he’s been picked up from the side of the road and interviewed for the position. Is appointing Mike McDaniel a home-run and a guarantee of success? No. It’s likely to be a huge gamble to be honest. But unless we resurrect Shula, nobody is going to be without risk.

To finish, I’ve attached a couple of articles on McDaniel that I found interesting, as well as quotes from both players and coaches he has worked alongside.

Kyle Juszczyk:
Absolute BEST in the game!! Nobody gets more out of his players than McDaniel! Most creative run scheme out there! So deserving of this promotion!!
Jimmy Garoppolo:
Mike is awesome, man. He really is. He's kind of that, I don't want to say the mastermind behind everything, but he's kind of that guy in the background that doesn't say a whole ton to a lot of people, but his mind is always moving.
Kyle Shanahan:
He's one of the smartest coaches I've been around and he’s been huge to our team and huge for me throughout my entire career.

https://www.skysports.com/nfl/news/...s-behind-the-san-francisco-49ers-running-game

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/...the-perfect-mix-of-play-design-and-personnel/

When you write about Klopp,i must add my 2 Cents,BCS He coached my soccer Team many years.
I think Dolphins are Not little as Mainz 05,this was Klopps First Team as young Head Coach.
Borussia Dortmund summoned him after his success in Mainz,and yes we had the best years in History with him.
But He was no newbie as Headcoach.
I think erveryone know what He Made in LFC so Not need write about it .
The question is
Dolphins =Mainz 05 ?
Dolphins =Borussia Dortmund?
Dolphins =Liverpool FC?

I Hope we are Not Mainz 05,and i Hope we find an HC with experience.

I’ll say this much, it would be a bold move to hire him.

He doesn’t look the part and he is young. However if there is one thing we have lacked on offense for a long time it is innovation.

I loved what Flores did with our defense. It was innovatIve and you could tell the guys were having fun.

I suspect we would need to be patient and that he might need to gain some success before he can attract top level assistant coaches.

I am in favor of the gamble. I want a modern offense. I want a coach who isn’t going to check out on the team because his ego can’t handle things not going his way.

I am willing to accept we need 5 new OL guys, 2 RB’s, 2 WR’s….and maybe a new QB. This is going to take some time.

I was initially intrigued by the idea of appointing McDaniel as HC, but over the past week, looking more into it, and seeing what SF fans and the players he has worked with have said, I’m sold on the idea of bringing him in. I do have a feeling though that we’re not going to appoint McDaniel due to Ross likely wanting instant results, and that we’ll go for an experienced coach with proven results as a HC in the league, but Mike McDaniel is the option I would personally take. Whichever direction we choose to go in, whether McDaniel or someone else, it’s vital that we get the support structure right, both in the coaches we have, and the players we bring in and retain. Changing coaches every season, two OCs, a completely new roster every season etc. It doesn’t help, and it certainly doesn’t foster a winning culture. If we are to become successful again, the HC will be a big part of this, but we need to also give them the tools to succeed.

McDaniel is not the disciplinarian Brian Flores seemed to be, but maybe that is a good thing. He’s young, of course, but we also have a young roster, and there’s a chance they connect with his philosophy and way of playing over a strict taskmaster like Flores. Leadership can be found in the ‘alpha male’ type who rules with an iron fist, but it can also be found in the man who inspires others by being relatable and showing that you don’t need to shout to get a point across. Being the loudest man in the room doesn’t make you the most intelligent one in the room. He happens to remind me a lot of soccer coach Jurgen Klopp in how he explains the game, and not just based on their similar nerdish look. They both emphasise coaching based on collaboration and the need for everybody at all levels to be on the same page and being able to have input. To take a quote from the German, who has become one of the most highly-regarded coaches in sport: “That’s what leadership is: have strong people around you with a better knowledge in different departments than yourself, don’t act like you know everything. My confidence is big enough that I can really let people grow next to me, it’s no problem.” To quote McDaniel on the situation with the 49ers: "It's a very collaborative situation that Kyle Shanahan really creates on his coaching staff. And in that process, you have a voice and you're part of all different phases".

As an example of the relationship he has with the players, both young and veterans, he was credited as one of the main reasons Kyle Juszczyk signed a new deal with the 49ers. To quote Juszczyk, “My relationship with Mike had a huge, huge influence on me coming back, because I'm extremely comfortable with him”, and the fullback even invited McDaniel to his wedding in 2019. Of course, can this type of relationship with players carry over from OC to HC? We’ve seen the move be too much for many more experienced coaches than McDaniel over the years. I see appointing McDaniel as a chance to implement a long-term philosophy within the franchise, and a chance to break out of the rut. Despite only being 38 (the same age Flores was when appointed in Miami), it’s worth noting that he has over 10 years experience in the league, and it’s not as if he’s been picked up from the side of the road and interviewed for the position. Is appointing Mike McDaniel a home-run and a guarantee of success? No. It’s likely to be a huge gamble to be honest. But unless we resurrect Shula, nobody is going to be without risk.

To finish, I’ve attached a couple of articles on McDaniel that I found interesting, as well as quotes from both players and coaches he has worked alongside.

Kyle Juszczyk:

Jimmy Garoppolo:

Kyle Shanahan:

https://www.skysports.com/nfl/news/...s-behind-the-san-francisco-49ers-running-game

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/...the-perfect-mix-of-play-design-and-personnel/

The case for McDaniel. Your honor, we have no case. We rest.

That McDaniel kid, and he is a kid, he kind of intrigues me. Looks like a primary school teacher, nerdy like, not Philbin nerdy, more like big bang nerdy. If SF get past the next round, I think he may be a good chance of getting the HC spot.

He happens to remind me a lot of soccer coach Jurgen Klopp in how he explains the game, and not just based on their similar nerdish look. They both emphasise coaching based on collaboration and the need for everybody at all levels to be on the same page and being able to have input.

I'm with you on everything except for comparing McDaniel to Klopp. Klopp is a huge, dashing-looking guy vs McDaniel who is 5'9 and looks like he could kill me in Madden. Klopp commands respect when he walks into a room, but McDaniel is the type that has to do his part to earn it.

That said, I think McDaniel and Kyle Shanahan have one big thing in common: winning philosophy. I've never seen the 49ers do dumb stuff. Never. Like, I've seen players make bad plays, but I've never been like "why did they even call that?".

Whether it's McDaniel or Kellen Moore, I think it would be great if they brought in Kris Richard to run the defense. You have to think our defense is going to be an attractive slab of marble for an ambitious young defensive unit coach to chisel away at and use to make the jump to coordinator.

Back
Top Bottom