Ireland is TOAST if... | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Ireland is TOAST if...

I might be mistaken, but I seem to remember on this board and in the media, everyone thought he had a good 1st draft last year, (without parcells that is).. Even with Parcells I like V. Davis, J. Long, M. Pouncey, J. Odrick, from last year I like clay, thomas, gates, and wilson, I thought hhat was a good class..can't wait to see what he does this year..Kevin Burnett and R. Bush weren't bad either..so I can see he knows how to set a foundation..just need a good guard if J. Jerry can't cut it and some more impact players WR, LB.. Gates maybe that impact player that Jackson is for the eagles...didn't know gates played with a torn grion last year..so if last year's class steps up this year, we may have something.

Like him or hate him...Omar makes a great point in today's Herald when he writes that Ireland has been "safe"...and has drafted some "good" but not "great" players...
This is not your Daddy's NFL...you have to have a good QB to get to the SB (with few exceptions). We should draft a QB every year until that need is filled.

The question is "is that your opinion or your thoughts on what you think the fanbase will do?" Personally, I don't see anything like that in his selections in this draft. What I do see is that he needs to improve the team for Philbin and see if he can draft for a coach with a different style than what he's done. He'll still have another couple of years to prove himself here, given his history and circumstances here and the new coaching regime. If he's hung in effigy for not getting Tannehill or Weeden, then it will probably be due to uninformed fans, not because of who he specifically took. The thing is, no matter how it transpires, we'll never really know exactly why he did or didn't select who he ends up taking. Maybe Tannehill and Weeden will be gone before we get a chance to draft them ?? Maybe the cost of moving up will be too high to pay. Maybe they collectively just don't think that Tannehill is worth the #8, probably won't be there for the #42 and Weeden likely won't be there for #42 and certainly doesn't warrant anything in the top half of the first. Maybe there simply won't be a trading partner ?? There are a lot of variables that go into who we select and when we actually select in the draft, not all of them would be due directly to Ireland's choice...

I think Ross is VERY re-active to the fan-base...so It is my opinion of what Ross's opinion is. I think Ireland is on a VERY short leash here...

---------- Post added at 07:51 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:49 AM ----------

Wishful thinking on your part. Ross likes Ireland...he's staying.

Ross liked Sparano too...remember?

Ireland isnt going anywhere this year. I wold say his job is pretty safe for at least 2 years.

I will also say that if he doesnt draft a QB next week, I am no longer defending him.

IMHO, Ireland is not going anywhere this year and not next. The theory that Miami needs to draft Tannehill or else is pushed forward by media members that no little to nothing about football. When so many actual football people look at Tannehill not being worth a top 10 pick, I do not think it would do or die for Ireland. The media will make it out to be, but it is not a reality.

I honestly think Philbin is linked to Ireland. But I don't think Ireland's fate rests on Philbin. If Ireland gets booted, Philbin will, as well. Honestly, how many times have you seen a GM get canned and it not directly impact the HC?

The way I see it, if Ireland gets bad players and Philbin loses then both get fired.
If Ireland gets bad players and Philbin wins, Ireland will continue to stay.
If Ireland gets good players, he's safe.

I really don't see a traditional scenario in which Ireland goes and Philbin is safe. Now, if Ireland suddenly goes off the reservation and has a Bobby Petrino fiasco then I think that's the only way Philbin gets a pass.

In my mind, if Ireland goes then we start over AGAIN. So, if you like Philbin and this new Packer philosolphy, you'd better get used to Ireland as your GM.

To me it become painfully obvious when Ireland survived Sparano and was included in the search for a new HC. Furthermore, he was rumored to be a cemented figure in the organization that deterred some HCs from pursuing the job. In fact, we were told, in so many words, that we were looking for someone who worked well with Ireland.

I've always felt like Ireland is like a young AJ Smith (Chargers GM) and Carl Peterson rolled up into one. I honestly think Ireland has somehow solidified his position and is becoming an immovable object.

I honestly think Philbin is linked to Ireland. But I don't think Ireland's fate rests on Philbin. If Ireland gets booted, Philbin will, as well. Honestly, how many times have you seen a GM get canned and it not directly impact the HC?

The way I see it, if Ireland gets bad players and Philbin loses then both get fired.
If Ireland gets bad players and Philbin wins, Ireland will continue to stay.
If Ireland gets good players, he's safe.

I really don't see a traditional scenario in which Ireland goes and Philbin is safe. Now, if Ireland suddenly goes off the reservation and has a Bobby Petrino fiasco then I think that's the only way Philbin gets a pass.

In my mind, if Ireland goes then we start over AGAIN. So, if you like Philbin and this new Packer philosolphy, you'd better get used to Ireland as your GM.

To me it become painfully obvious when Ireland survived Sparano and was included in the search for a new HC. Furthermore, he was rumored to be a cemented figure in the organization that deterred some HCs from pursuing the job. In fact, we were told, in so many words, that we were looking for someone who worked well with Ireland.

I've always felt like Ireland is like a young AJ Smith (Chargers GM) and Carl Peterson rolled up into one. I honestly think Ireland has somehow solidified his position and is becoming an immovable object.

IMO Ireland will be defined one way or the other on THIS draft.

Is Tannehill better than the QBs coming out next year? Outside of Luck or RG3, are any of the available QBs this year better than the ones coming out next year?
A guy I like a lot is Kirk Cousins. We could get him really cheap and, while his ultimate upside could be less (I stress 'could be') than Tannehill (who I still think is a loser when it counts), I think he could be ready to play much sooner than any other QB other than Luck. Cousins reminds me a LOT of Drew Brees.

Actually, that's probably NOT such a bad thing. A team can do a whole lot worse than having a knowledgeable football guy like Ireland working with a HC who's on the same page. If the GM has the confidence of the ownership, then that's probably a good thing, too, since it's unlikely that the owner will interfere with player personnel decisions. Nothing like an owner insisting on acquiring a player of dubious football skill but great publicity value. :crazy:

IMO, a HC having primary input into player personnel because the GM isn't a "football guy" is probably the least desirable way to build a team. Coaches tend to be short-sighted. They want player X because he fits their system regardless if he's suitable for anything else. They are excited at getting a new big play guy. They are focused on winning this year and not about two years down the line.

Good GMs take a longer term view of the team. They pay more attention to salary cap and contract issues. They look at drafting/signing not just starters but players who will be good depth or who are versatile enough to be useful in more than 1 coach's "system".

Wishful thinking on your part. Ross likes Ireland...he's staying.
Not only that, but Ireland has the "new coach" card to play. If the season sucks, he will blame it all on new coaches and a new system. If we draft Tannehill, he will blame it on Sherman...because "he relied on his expertise in the matter." We are stuck with this moron for at least two more years...

Not only that, but Ireland has the "new coach" card to play. If the season sucks, he will blame it all on new coaches and a new system. If we draft Tannehill, he will blame it on Sherman...because "he relied on his expertise in the matter." We are stuck with this moron for at least two more years...
Yeah he's a slippery little weasel...

If he doesn't get one of those 2 and the team has another 8-8, 7-9, 6-10 season I think his time in Miami is over.

IF he drafts one and has them waiting in the wings to take over from Matt Moore then he will be safe no matter what Miami does next year

If he drafts Weeden, Weeden doesn't play a single down, and the team still goes 8-8, 7-9, 6-10, Ireland will still be done. Weeden is what I call a "win-now" player. That is, you draft him to WIN NOW.

I think you make a good point. Without Tannehill or Weeden, GM may get thrown under the bus.

Maybe if he gets Cousins and that turns out to be a good pick then he may save himself. However, Cousins is a little more risk.

The Ireland witch hunt between the media and the fans have already imbedded enough hatred into the situation.
It won't matter what Ireland does he will still be blamed.
That is what happens when you have fans with zero common sense standing on a sidewalk protesting.

Back
Top Bottom