Is Ahmed the answer at RB? | Page 7 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Is Ahmed the answer at RB?

Comes down to pure speed imo. Gaskin is a better all-around back, but Miami creates quick creases with RPO looks (even when they're designed handoffs/not actually RPO's). If the line was better at run blocking they'd be bigger and more consistent creates, but speed through the hole is the main thing you need from a back with this scheme. Get there before it closes, and you have 4-7 yards. At that point, the ability to make people miss becomes more important - turns solid plays into bigger plays. That's where a guy like Hubbard makes a lot of sense to me. Reminds me a little of a bigger, younger Phillip Lindsay. Maybe there in the 3rd, but you can at least wait to 2b to get him. Incredible burst. Not the biggest, but he'll make people miss and break tackles, and he's lightning through the hole - a more than good enough approximation of Etienne.
This is spot on!

I'm targeting OL before RB. Open some bigger holes. More consistent. That IMO helps the entire team.

I would guess because more WR's bring more DB's,
Don't guess J. The goal is to get the best RB, the best talent, the best prospect, in every category, size, speed, strength, production, explosion, the best!!

Last edited:
Don't guess J. The goal is the get the best RB, the best talent, the best prospect, in every category, size, sped, strength, production, explosion, the best!!
Sure, that's the goal, but not realistically attainable.

The approach most successful teams take is to minimize weaknesses, and that is position dependant.

That is the crux op the BPA/PON argument. I've always felt, because there is no direct comparison of many positions as far as "best player available", that a combination approach is the best way, and scheme fit matters in many situations, as well.

Sure, that's the goal, but not realistically attainable.

The approach most successful teams take is to minimize weaknesses, and that is position dependent.

Why not? We have 4 top 60 picks. This RB group is not top notch, they are not the best of the best, and neither are the receivers.

Don't guess J. The goal is the get the best RB, the best talent, the best prospect, in every category, size, sped, strength, production, explosion, the best!!

I don't agree. I think the goal should be to get the best you can relative to the resources you're willing to devote to the position. You won't go broke underestimating the importance of RB. Ahmed/Gaskin have not and will not significantly hold Miami back in 2020. The WR's are a completely different story.

I don't agree. I think the goal should be to get the best you can relative to the resources you're willing to devote to the position. You won't go broke underestimating the importance of RB. Ahmed/Gaskin have not and will not significantly hold Miami back in 2020. The WR's are a completely different story.
Yeah, I do not agree. It is the best or you did not get the job done.

Why not? We have 4 top 60 picks. This RB group is not top notch, they are not the best of the best, and neither are the receivers.
Are you seriously asking why we can't have the absolute best player, at every position (which was your initial stated goal) with 4 top 60 picks?

Brother, I respect many of your views, but sometimes you are all over the map in coversations.

Are you seriously asking why we can't have the absolute best player, at every position (which was your initial stated goal) with 4 top 60 picks?

Brother, I respect many of your views, but sometimes you are all over the map in coversations.

The best, or the job is not done! Grier's job is not to create a patchwork of a team, but to get the best!

I just think there are more valuable positions to be best at, and after QB, WR is #1. RB is after OT, OG, Edge, DT, LB, CB, and FS at bare minimum.
Not for this team. We have a need at RT, and need two receivers. RB is right there with two receivers. On defense we do not have a standout at one of ILB spots and one S.
At CB we have standouts, and at DL and EDGE we have standouts across the board. Those are not needs.

Not for this team. We have a need at RT, and need two receivers. RB is right there with two receivers. On defense we do not have a standout at one of ILB spots and one S.
At CB we have standouts, and at DL and EDGE we have standouts across the board. Those are not needs.
Agreed usually but we missed on Willis years back what a diff maker and Parsons has the feel while this is a strong WR draft - Tua will make it work just as he is now

Back
Top Bottom