Is Front 7 the Next Reconstruction Zone? | Page 6 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Is Front 7 the Next Reconstruction Zone?

Old saying:
Offense puts fans in the stands.
Defense puts up championship banners.
Wasting money on trying to stop the run is fools gold, put that money on scoring points instead and you wont even have to worry about stopping the run. The Fins did it right by putting money on stopping the passing game by having very good CBs to work with, but they're just a waste if you cant put opposing teams in situations where they actually need to pass the ball.

Free agency is mostly about depth? Completely disagree. The Draft is about building depth. Free agency is about finding proven, starting pieces that fit your scheme....which is why you pay more for it.

Van Noy and Lawson are $10M+ guys, 2 of the top 5 contracts on the team. Ogbah is 8th. If that's just for depth.....you're in trouble.
I think it comes down to your building philosophy. Miami had lots of money to spend this offseason so the moves make sense. Long-term is different, though. That's where the most successful teams build through the draft.

y

And yet you have to spend so much cap and field a viable product, thus the FA $.

Would you have rather spent either of the first two picks on a DL, a true NT?
A dominant front seven player. I don't think Miami currently has one.

Baker made some plays at times but he was NOT good overall. Too many mistakes. Poor instincts. He was set up for success.
Godchauex had some strong plays at times but inconsistent. Wilkins was fantastic.

i think Flores has a knack for drafting these guys, and not for signing. I’m underwhelmed.

I want our top pick to be a pass rusher

Oh for sure. And Cam is far from done. The Patriots will win the division again if he stays healthy no doubt about it in my mind. It was just disappointing seeing us get manhandled so easily from the start of the game all the way until the end, when we all thought we had at least improved dramatically from last year on the defensive line. Cam made our front 7 looks as slow as last year.
At the very least, I want a defense that forces opposing offenses to make some plays. It was too easy for NE, and they never had to challenge the Dolphins down the field. Safe, conservative plays the entire game.

I realize that having an offense that can score is part of the equation. It's a different animal when playing with a lead.

Baker made some plays at times but he was NOT good overall. Too many mistakes. Poor instincts. He was set up for success.
Godchauex had some strong plays at times but inconsistent. Wilkins was fantastic.

i think Flores has a knack for drafting these guys, and not for signing. I’m underwhelmed.

I want our top pick to be a pass rusher
I thought Wilkins was fantastic as well. Surprised not to hear more about him.

If you want to stop the run, score points. If you want to get valuable production from your #1 and #2 top paid CBs in the league, score points. At some point, Fins are going to get it, when you score points, everything is easier for everyone... You're wasting your money trying to build a good D when you cant score points, complete waste.
Great point! Maybe that's the key. Get a lead and force teams to actually make some plays.

Great point! Maybe that's the key. Get a lead and force teams to actually make some plays.
Im mean everyone sees 200+ rushing yards and just assume Fins need to fix the run D. It sounds logical but at the root of the problem, does it make sense to you to spend any kind of assets to be prepared to play when trailing, or does it make more sense to invest in things that get you playing with a lead instead?

Rome wasn't built in a day or a week. Let's give it a little time to gel before we go on a rebuild the front seven spree. Yes we looked bad, we did last year too. This was a massive improvement in comparison to week 1 last season .... Imagine had we not turned the ball over three times.....I don't know man, maybe I'm just spit ballin'.
Over 20 yrs of garbage but who is counting, I like Flores so I’ll wait until the end of the season .

We literally just rebuilt it. We need a new builder.
You are correct in that we just rebuilt it, and I am not a big supporter of Grier. However, I think we as fans need to wait a few weeks before writing this defense off. As you said, we JUST REBUILT it, and with limited training camp and absolutely no pre season action, this was the first time on the field together for this group. Let's give a few weeks to see if chemistry gels and these guys get better.

Old saying:
Offense puts fans in the stands.
Defense puts up championship banners.
I do agree that we need skill O players. I would like to see 2 high pick WRs in next draft.
Defense wins championships is the old saying, and it is still valid, though not as much as 15-20 years ago.

The thing is, if you have to rely exclusively on the D, its a hard road through the playoffs.

Having a great D is awesome, but as others have pointed out, eventually you will be in a position that you need to move the ball, and put up 30+.

There have been several "shut down" defenses through the years that win a championship here and there, but it isn't sustainable game in and game out, season after season against top playoff teams.

This is from a guy who loves great D in any of the major sports.

Im mean everyone sees 200+ rushing yards and just assume Fins need to fix the run D. It sounds logical but at the root of the problem, does it make sense to you to spend any kind of assets to be prepared to play when trailing, or does it make more sense to invest in things that get you playing with a lead instead?
Of course, there are different examples of how to win. Take last years' super bowl teams. As good as SF's defense was last year, they at least had a complementary offense. As good as KC's offense was, they had a respectable defense. So you do need both. But I'd love to make teams chase Miami, to actually have to challenge down the field. I do think that starts with offensive firepower.

Give up 21 point is still winnable game.. the defense is better than last yr.. offense need score more point.
Only 21 points with 3 turnovers in New England and the defense needs an overhaul, not to mention that damn near half the players on this years team wasn't on last years team, no real training camp or ota's but they were supposed to come out like a well oil machine. It's either some people have and agenda or they're being unrealistic with their expectations for this team. I'll be concerned if this team in week 5 is the same team we saw Sunday.

Back
Top Bottom