Is Gates a true lock? | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Is Gates a true lock?

We didn't draft the Gates family too, did we?

Just sayin'.

Ginn was a first round pick. Gates was a fourth round pick. Gates is not afraid of getting hit. Ginn is. He is a freaken rookie, who is still learning the game. just saying.

His preseason stats are 2 receptions for 23yards and one TD. He is regularly open deep. Yes, he is a lock!

"Get on the same page?" Stop being nice/coy...the real question is: "When Henne going to hit him in stride?" Gates has been getting open in practice and in games on the regular. Vontae has raved about the kid since day one. I don't think he has dropped a ball yet (correct me if I am wrong) but I have seen and heard of both Wallace and Moore dropping catchable balls. Gates is a lock and will probably be starting 2 years from now.

If Henne can hit him in stride this year, we may be able to rise up from one of the worst scoring teams in the league.

I keep seeing people post on here drooling over Clyde Gates, the deep threat, his ability to stretch the field... Oh yeah, and the assumption that he will be joining Marshall, Bess, and Hartline while Wallace, Moore and Livas are on the cusp.

I guess we haven't been reading the same practice reports and watching the same preseason games. As of the Carolina game, I have seen nothing impressive out of Gates in terms of his role as a receiver. If we had a position for sprinter, then okay, he's fast. But he has shown virtually no catching ability, no reach for slightly overthrown balls, and absolutely sloppy performances on return attempts. So why is everyone on his d*ck??

Both Wallace and Moore have impressed me more this offseason. If Gates's lackluster performances continue, I could not comprehend why he wouldn't be the odd man out - this year at least.
My friend, He is a LOCK. Let me repeat, he is a lock. He has gotten open deep in both pre-season games but because we have no Quarterback he is 2 touchdowns and about 146 yards short because of it.

Gates has been WIDE open on at least 3 plays that ive seen. All of which have been WAYYYYYY over thrown. Even if Gates dived n tried to make the catch he would have been at least a yard short. He was at least 3 yards away from the nearest defender. This kid has speed, and he has show on his college tape he can catch..maybe hes not a great return man, oh well, theres only a few WRs that are great WRs and great KRs (D.Jackson being only 1 coming to mind). Most of the teams KR/PR arent starting WRs, and thats why we have Livas on the team. Mooreis nothing special and will always be that, Wallace shows more promise to become a good WR because of his size and speed. Let the kid get some good touches and then criticize him. The guy is a Phin and we shouldnt be bashing him, and on top of it hes a rookie. Give the kid some time.

My friend, He is a LOCK. Let me repeat, he is a lock. He has gotten open deep in both pre-season games but because we have no Quarterback he is 2 touchdowns and about 146 yards short because of it.

And how many of those times were starting DBs on him? Not being patronizing here, I'm actually interested to know if anyone has the stats.

I don't think there's even a question he's kept before Moore, Wallace, or Livas. For reasons that extend beyond training camp performance. He's a rookie and factors include where he was taken and the need he potentially fills. Just not even a debate here.

I think he struggles to get on the field this year. Speed is great but it doesn't guarantee anything in the nfl. Bethel Johnson was just as fast and he played for a real Div I college. Also Johnson had TFB throwing him the ball. How did that work out? What about D. Heyward-Bey? See T. Ginn. He played at a real school also...

I agree with the topic starter, i mentioned this a few days ago. While i would love to have some real speed on our receiving corps, i just havent seen anything impressive from this guy yet. People are overrating this guy based on his fast speed but until he shows some playmaking ability i would not let go of roberto wallace or philip livas because they have impressed and shown they are playmakers. Ted ginn is a great example of not gettin a hard on for speed, show me some playmaking skills gates and il be convinced. Speed is just a bonus. Davone bess doesnt have killer speed but look at hows hes looked himself as one of our main receivers, playmaking ability! Something gates has not shown. Gates is not a lock at all, He has done absolutely nothing to impress sparano. Chad henne overthrew him a little bit in the falcons game yea but how do we know that gates just didnt get to where he needed to be? he didnt have all that much seperation from the dbs on that play at all even though he was infront of them. Like i said, as of now, this guy is highly overrated on this forums and will most likely be cut unless he impresses sparano.

Lots of people around here need to change their expectations of what rookies should be showing during the preseason.

Funny that Gates, Bess and Hartline are being mentioned as competing for the #2 WR spot opposite Marshall and there is no mention of Wallace or Moore. Moore does lead the team in spectacular drops though.

I have a thought. Instead of doing the constant bandwagon heckling that FinHeaven is so famous for, why don't you give me some actual reasons why you think Gates is a lock?

Well you thought to hard. Gates is a lock. No questions asked. Besides Wallace he's the best young WR on the team.

Back
Top Bottom