Is Gates a true lock? | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Is Gates a true lock?

Man, people will find any and everything to complain about on here.

ted ginn jr. Nuff said.
Tedd Ginn Jr.? That's your argument?! First of all, Ginn was afraid of contact and Gates doesn't shy away from it. Secondly, Ginn had speed but was a long strider, it took time to get up to speed and he was usually bumped at the line, whereas Gates has speed but he's more shifty and seems to get open easier.

ted ginn jr. Nuff said.

I don't understand the comparison with Ted Ginn. Maybe you need to find the video of Vontea Davis when he was asked which of the rookies has impressed him the most. He said Gates, without hesitation, and specifically said his speed and the fact that "HE DOESN'T BACK DOWN FROM NOBODY". Gates doesn't look to go out of bounds as soon as he catches the ball.

Cornerback Vontae Davis also has been impressed with Gates’ track speed, but he has been even more impressed with the rookie’s work ethic. He said it reminds him of himself coming out of college.

Bess spent a lot of time with Gates in the offseason working with him, as Marshall did with Livas and Hartline did with Carter.

“He’s raw and the kid is really gifted,” said Bess, who has emerged as one of the top slot receivers in the league after being undrafted in 2008. “He’s a football guy, too, and you can tell because he gets it. He knows when he has to use his speed, when he has to be smart and sit down and find a zone and I’m excited about his progress.”
http://www.miamidolphins.com/news/its-showtime-sun-life-stadium-dolphins-host-carolina

It doesn't matter. They will keep him simply because of his draft position. End of discussion.

Dude Idk what you been seeing but gates has been killing our corners throughout camp and did solid in Falcons game. A lot passes to him has been overthrown. How is he looking sloppy when he burns the DB but its a bad pass.

I agree with the topic starter, i mentioned this a few days ago. While i would love to have some real speed on our receiving corps, i just havent seen anything impressive from this guy yet. People are overrating this guy based on his fast speed but until he shows some playmaking ability i would not let go of roberto wallace or philip livas because they have impressed and shown they are playmakers. Ted ginn is a great example of not gettin a hard on for speed, show me some playmaking skills gates and il be convinced. Speed is just a bonus. Davone bess doesnt have killer speed but look at hows hes looked himself as one of our main receivers, playmaking ability! Something gates has not shown. Gates is not a lock at all, He has done absolutely nothing to impress sparano. Chad henne overthrew him a little bit in the falcons game yea but how do we know that gates just didnt get to where he needed to be? he didnt have all that much seperation from the dbs on that play at all even though he was infront of them. Like i said, as of now, this guy is highly overrated on this forums and will most likely be cut unless he impresses sparano.

He gets CONSTANT seperation on the 'go' route. Whenever its been called, hes not been stuffed. Hes caught a TD, and if im not mistaken he had a pretty acrobatic 3rd down catch against Carolina. That of course is in response to the notion that he doesnt have hands. How you can draw that conclusion from a guy with such little Pro work to go off of is beyond me.

To say a ROOKIE 4th rounder whos caught a TD, shown tremendous speed and the ability to get behind defenses, is is danger of being cut is ignorant to say the least. Just ignorant of the Fins' needs, and what holes this kid can fill. Not giving him a fair chance would be a death sentence.

Everyone who is bashing Gates better get use to him, he will make this team and will contribute right away. Gates has big play written all over him.

Here is who I would keep at WR so far..
Brandon Marshall no brainer All Pro
Devon Bess great slot receiver
Brian Hartline great hands
Clyde Gates real burner
Phillip Livas great returner
The rest will have to battle it out for the sixth WR, which might be need for all Brian Daboll's 3 and 4 WR sets.

If we keep 6 receivers, we might have to drop a FB (Polite) or a LB or even a safety - I'm guessing no more T. Culver

Im glad the OP started this thread. It needed to be said. I didnt want to have to be the one to do it.

Now, I certainly dont think Gates should be cut, nor do I think he will be. He has too much potential to let go or to try and stash on the PS. However, at the current point in time, I see Wallace and Moore as better all around players.

Gates is certainly a burner and has demonstrated he can get open deep. It would be nice to have a real QB who could give him a chance so we can find out what he can do once a ball is actually delivered to him when he does get open deep.

I think Wallace is an alright player and worthy of being a 5th man on your WR depth chart and perhaps even 4th on other teams.

But, Moore just impresses me. I think he has serious potential. I just couldnt cut him right now. I think Moore has the skills to develope into a good starting WR in this league. For that reason, I would keep him for sure.

For those reason, I would have to consider cutting Wallace. But, I would likely be inclined to keep 6 WRs. Hell, if were going into the season with LJ as our 3rd RB, I would almost only keep 2 RBs and if someone gets injured I couldve signed LJ or someone very compareable off the street and be just as well off. Its a shame our FO is clueless and left us in a position of scrambling for find our 3rd RB anyway. Ricky was the correct answer. These guys just love to play with rocks though.

Nevertheless, I would find a way to keep 6 WRs because Wallace deserves to be on an NFL roster and Moore and Gates have too much potential IMHO.

Youre right.. Its Gates fault that he was overthrown running a yard behind DB's for wouldbe TD's the past two weeks.. Actually three that come to mind.

Would this thread be started had he been thrown accurate deep balls which would have certainly resulted in 3 TD's? No chance.

Thread = Fail.

ted ginn jr. Nuff said.

That's the best comparison you can come up with? Ginn is a straight line speed guy with little quickness, agility and toughness. Gates is fast but he s much quicker and agile than Ginn. He hasn't shown to be a puss yet either. People who compare Ginn to Gates show their lack of knowledge on the subject. You ve seen the guy in a total of one game and now he s Ginn because both guys are fast. Ooookay. He could easily have 2-4 more long TDs.

Back
Top Bottom