Is Grier a good GM? | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Is Grier a good GM?

As a GM you get judged by playoff success, so it's still wait and see.

Eh, that’s hyperbole.

Completely tearing down and rebuilding a franchise that’s largely been mired in mediocrity the past 25 years — that also was downright awful during many of those years — then turning them into a perennial winning franchise again is no small feat.

They’ve only had 1 winning season thus far, but if it continues and becomes the norm again — it’s a huge accomplishment. No matter what happens in the postseason.

Winning in the postseason would be phenomenal. Everyone wants that. But taking the first steps are often just as hard if not harder. And this franchise has taken some huge steps forward already.

We’ve seen some fools gold seasons from Gase and Sparano, but Flores‘ teams have overachieved and improved 2 consecutive seasons. It’s clear to me that Flores & Grier have things going in a positive direction MIA hasn’t seen this millennium.

Last edited:
On the whole, I'd say his ability to evaluate talent is extremely suspect.
I don't think thats all on Grier, we have an entire scouting department that provides reports on what Grier makes the call on. While the final call does rest with him, I'm not sure who gets the lion's share of the blame for the actual talent evaluation.

Eh, that’s hyperbole.

Completely tearing down and rebuilding a franchise that’s largely been mired in mediocrity the past 25 years — that also was downright awful during many of those years — then turning them into a perennial winning franchise again is no small feat.

They’ve only had 1 winning season thus far, but if it continues and becomes the norm again — it’s a huge accomplishment. No matter what happens in the postseason.

Winning in the postseason would be phenomenal. Everyone wants that. But taking the first steps are often just as hard if not harder.

Everything you said is true but but ultimately if Grier can't build a roster that consistently has play off runs than it was all for nothing. If all we get are rosters that have winning seasons but no playoffs or get playoffs but get 1 and done than thats a failure in my book.

Now it's only year 2 of a rebuild that's that why I'm not passing judgement but eventually saying it's only year X is not going to fly anymore.

The trades have been brilliant, and I think Grier deserves a lot a credit for those. Even the Fitzpatrick deal that looks worse in hindsight I think was about as good as he could get. Fitz was a distressed asset that clearly wanted out and that first round pick looked awfully good at the time with Ben hurt.

I'm always hesitant to give a GM or head coach credit on identifying lower level talents. Give credit to his staff for identifying the likes of Van Ginkel, Gaskin, and Stowbridge. I'm sure he made the final call but it was based on a report put together by someone else.

The next real test is if he and whoever is brought in to run this offense can identify the type of player they're pursuing and execute. So far they've done a good job on the defensive end with Flores and Grier appearing to be on the same page. Even with the failed picks (Weaver) you can see what they were looking for and understand why the pick was made. It remains to be seen if they can do something similar on the offensive side.

Ive seen and contributed to some of the Grier hate on Twitter. He has done a really poor job with drafting. Last years FA class other than Van NoY and Jones looks really good. I am terrified at what he will do with our first 4 picks this year. Which is why im totally ok with trading one of our Firsts , Tua and a 2nd for Watson. Take the pics away from him so he doesn't screw up like last year.

That would be a huge mistake, IMO, given the likely cost. If it's a great deal, too good to pass up, then fine. I'm not on board with trading away 2 years of picks for any single player.

If they don't like Tua, draft another QB. If they do like TT, why do it at all?
How long do u think a coach got in nfl.. 4yr maybe 5 and long if u good coach. if u getting watson that speed up process..k.c,bills,ten, ravens and Cleveland ain't going nowhere..if they get watson I would be happy.if they keep tua.. I would be all right to.watson is better players than tua. It no knock on Tua.

I think Grier has turned into a good GM but he is not an exceptional GM. I think he did a decent job in the 2020 draft and he needs to do an even better job in the 2021 draft if this team expects to reach the level the Bills are at now.

How long do u think a coach got in nfl.. 4yr maybe 5 and long if u good coach. if u getting watson that speed up process..k.c,bills,ten, ravens and Cleveland ain't going nowhere..if they get watson I would be happy.if they keep tua.. I would be all right to.watson is better players than tua. It no knock on Tua.
You are always worried about how many years a coach has.

If he is a good coach, that fields strong playoff teams every year, he has a lot of time. How long has Andy Reid been coaching? Sean Payton? Pete Carroll? Bb? Tomlin? Harbaugh?

Bad coaches get fired. Good coaches have job security. Sometimes good coaches are brought down by bad GMs, but are soon working again.

If Flo is a good coach, and Grier does his job, they will be successful.

If you go all in on Watson, and it doesn't work out, we are done as a franchise for the foreseeable future.

Even if Tua is just average, if we build a good team around him, we can still move on later. If we trade out best shot to build a team for DW, all our eggs are in one basket. A basket, by the way, that seems to want a big say on how the team is run.

No thanks. I'll take my chances with Flo.

Ive seen and contributed to some of the Grier hate on Twitter. He has done a really poor job with drafting. Last years FA class other than Van NoY and Jones looks really good. I am terrified at what he will do with our first 4 picks this year. Which is why im totally ok with trading one of our Firsts , Tua and a 2nd for Watson. Take the pics away from him so he doesn't screw up like last year.
This can't be a serious post. The draft last year was one of the best this franchise has had in a long time. There are teams that go 10 years finding one contributor each year let alone 5-6 who contribute in year one and that doesn't include the QB who'll be asked to make it a great draft class.

Grier hadn't been great, but last offseason he proved he had a plan with Flores. There is no way this fan base can be upset with anything he accomplished (w/Flores) over the last TWO years considering the huge gamble of completely tearing down this team and rebuilding it. No GM has been perfect but over the last two years, I've seen 1/3rd of the fan base of other teams wanting to "do what Miami did". The same pundits that said Miami was the worst team ever last year, claim that they knew Miami would be a winning team this year.

The proof will be the go forward this year. He deserves the benefit of the doubt and some praise for what he did to set this franchise up for sustainable success. Is that not what we all wanted? I think Grier has proven to be above average but with another good offseason he has a chance to move to very good. Just my opinion of course.

I don't think thats all on Grier, we have an entire scouting department that provides reports on what Grier makes the call on. While the final call does rest with him, I'm not sure who gets the lion's share of the blame for the actual talent evaluation.
So while he was the director of college scouting and we drafted busts over and over again he gets no blame. And when he is GM he takes no blame because it is the scouting department?

The only impressive skill that Grier has is throwing other people under the bus.

I didn’t think Rosen for a 2nd was terrible, but then he is just released? That is bad.

But we wouldn't be able to build around him because all those assets would go to Houston. Yes, Watson is better, but we'd still be losing, because we'd be unable to upgrade the offense around him.

So while he was the director of college scouting and we drafted busts over and over again he gets no blame. And when he is GM he takes no blame because it is the scouting department?

The only impressive skill that Grier has is throwing other people under the bus.

I didn’t think Rosen for a 2nd was terrible, but then he is just released? That is bad.
Example?

Back
Top Bottom