Is Grier a good GM? | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Is Grier a good GM?

Director of college scouting from 2007-2016 and was somehow promoted.
Everyone wants to tout our last draft. But guess what? Someone had to fill the holes that Grier created while blowing things up. I give more credit to the coach who gets what he does out of a roster that is still void of talent.

We have 2 Pro Bowl players on the roster and 1 is a kicker. He had a ton of picks to get difference makers in the last draft. We got serviceable starters, not difference makers. I hate that he will once again run the next draft. Probably trade down and get a bunch of Jags, ala Odrick and Misi. My biggest fear. Fans thinking we will do a “slight” trade down and still get a Smith/Chase will be let down.

I think it will depend on these two drafts. We had a lot of draft picks and Davis the DL was the only one to be recognized by pff or others when rating top rookies.
I like Hunt. Thought he got better as year went on. Jackson was average which better then I expected because he is raw. Tua we talked about enough. Davis the safety was solid. So hopefully they all grow and get better. Same with Kindley. But jury is still out and it would be nice to have rookies not only playing or starting because the rest of the roster was turned over but also just doing so great that they get a lot of national attention. I have like our last instant rookie that really made major impact was jarvis landry.

Director of college scouting from 2007-2016 and was somehow promoted.
That's your example of throwing someone under the bus?

These guys file reports, and are held accountable for their work.

I think your understanding of corporate operating procedures is a bit naive.

So while he was the director of college scouting and we drafted busts over and over again he gets no blame. And when he is GM he takes no blame because it is the scouting department?

The only impressive skill that Grier has is throwing other people under the bus.

I didn’t think Rosen for a 2nd was terrible, but then he is just released? That is bad.
No he shouldn't get a pass if he shared in those bad picks.

It's hard for me to assign blame to a single individual regarding bad draft picks. There are just so many people involved with the process from the GM to the coach to the scouts and even the players themselves. Ultimately the GM shoulders all the responsibility as the scouting department falls under his control as does the head coach. There is a big difference in my mind between being responsible for the bad pick and being the cause of a bad pick. It's the 'cause of a bad pick' that's so difficult to assign to the individual(s) most directly at fault.

He's ok. He lucked into O'Brien going full retard. We have a bunch of decent players but only one elite player on this roster at the moment in Howard. We need to add a few more of those.

He's ok. He lucked into O'Brien going full retard. We have a bunch of decent players but only one elite player on this roster at the moment in Howard. We need to add a few more of those.
True, but I look for the Oline to greatly improve year two. Jones looks like a player. Davis came on strong. Then there is TT, and I'm not as down on Iggy as some are.

We're dealing with incomplete information, but it appears with Flores he's been able to draft well.

He needs for the life of us get us a power RB to pair with Gaskin and some pass catchers for Tua, which i'm sure he is well aware of at this point.

He brought in the Floster, and took advantage of BoB for the Tunsil heist.

Talent evaluation is nuts. Do you do everything yourself, do you over rely on your scouts? Even with Reggie McKenzie and Marvin Allen in house, picking players is iffy business.

But cap, trades, front office machinations, Grier always seems to come out on top.
Yes picking players is iffy. However Grier’s track record on this is poor overall when you look at a wide range of data.

In 2019, Grier no longer had to worry about Tannebaum putting in his 2 cents and f'in things up. Grier was finally allowed to carry out his own vision. He completely tore down the team, witnessing one of the most aggressive rebuilds the league has ever seen, one so aggressive he was accused of tanking and putting players in harm's way which was absurd. As a result, he brought the team out of cap hell. He gathered a treasure trove of draft picks, which included pulling off an incredible trade (Tunsil to HOU) that will aide in setting up this team for long term success. It also helped expedite this team to become competitive a lot sooner than later. (Great job Grier!)

That same year, he hired a coach (Flo), who took that team Grier tore down, and made chicken salad out of chicken ****, miraculously winning 5 games. This coach quickly changed the culture of the team in his first season, the same culture many coaches before him failed to change. That quick turn around in year one set the pace for this team in establishing long term success. Now, Miami is seen as having a coach that free agents want to play for. (Great hire Grier!).

In 2020, Grier had a really good draft. It's still too early to grade the picks, but how he was able to put us in position to be successful in the draft was evident. He did not show his hand, keeping other teams guessing. Moved up and down where he saw value and even pulled off a draft day trade for a RB(Brieda) to add to the roster. Someone tell me, when did we EVER have a GM show they could do that???????

In the 2020 free agency, he found great value in his free agent additions who played major roles in the success of this team. The draft picks and free agent moves in 2019 & 2020 (post Tannebaum)....the results were the Fins going 10-6, doubling the total amount of wins in one season.

In addition, Grier has brought in additional personnel (R. McKenzie and another person I can't think of) that have strengthen this front office. We are fortunate to have one of the up and coming best front offices in the NFL right now.

Has he missed on some moves, yes, no GM is perfect...but so far, Grier has done a GREAT job overall with this team.

I like Grier. I appreciate how he values draft choices and flexibility quite a bit. I'm confident in him getting value at the negotiation table with any GM in the league.

Like others, my only concerns with Grier come in the scouting department. We've had some shaky draft selections, but last year is a very promising class. If you can hit on a franchise QB & land 3 starters along the OL that's a masterpiece in itself, and that doesn't even include Raekwon Davis who was phenomenal as a rook. There's still a ton of potential there in the most criticized pick, too (Iggy).

I do agree that his success/failure will be reliant upon Tua's success/failure. That's just the nature of the business.

I'm on the fence with him tbh, his work last year in how he played the press and the rest of the league to be able to stay put and still take Tua was admiral, but to pass up on not picking up a RB or WR to help his young QB out was perplexing.

His part in the drafting of Harris or the trade for Rosen, can't be overlooked. But he's managed the cap reasonably well. The contracts he's dished out have been tailored to fit what we are trying to do.

His future is tied to Tua's right now, or if he trades for Watson. The success of whichever way he goes there will determine how long he stays in the job. I'm sure he knows that.

Back
Top Bottom