Is Ireland incapable of identifying explosive players? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Is Ireland incapable of identifying explosive players?

SkapePhin

☠️ Banned ☠️
Reaction score
There is a common narrative that Ireland can't draft skills players. Is that the case or have they simply not acquired many skills players in the first place? Can we do an analysis on his picks and acquisitions at the WR, RB and TE positions and see what percentage of those picks/signings paid any dividends.

Anyone can agree that the skills players have been ignored during his tenure, but is it a matter of what they prioritized or that they can't identify talented players at those positions? I ask because I think this year will definitely be the year that they prioritize the skills positions over line positions. If they spend a 1st round pick on a WR, should we fear them picking the wrong player?

Please someone provide a solid data driven analysis of all the offensive skills players selected under Ireland's tenure.

Come on, we need an OT in the 1st round, hopefully it's a Top-10 pick if miami loses the rest of their games.

Hartline is his best skill player Ireland has ever drafted in 5 yrs in Miami. We don't need anything more than a #4 WR starting as the #1 for us when we build this O-line.

How could these facts go right over your head ?

If you take away the Brandon Marshall trade, since he shipped him out 2 years later, his top acquistitions in order: Brian Hartline, Davone Bess, Reggie Bush, Anthony Fasano, and Charles Clay. That is a terribly depressing list.

My feeling is more of one that the previous regime devalued skills players due to their ground and pound philosophy. As such, not many skills players were acquired in the first place. What I am looking for is a percentage. 10 out of 30 successfull acquisitions, or something like that. How many times have they tried to add explosive players with high draft choices or big FA money, and of those, how many succeeded?

I just think Philbin priotizes skills players more than the previous regime, and as such, Ireland's philosophy will adjust to that by going after more skills players. What I am trying to see though, is if he has an eye for those kinds of players at all.

Ireland hate skill players. He has no skill so he doesn't want anyone with skill around DAOLPHINS CAMP.

Ozzy rules!!

If we're going to discuss this seriously I would say that one issue with this front office (not just Ireland) is that they may equate triangle metrics to explosive play making ability a little bit too much. For a Jeff Ireland it seems like a guy is either a big/strong type or a size/speed type.

I'm not trying to be over critical because it's easy to make some of the mistakes they've made and in fact I've fallen into some of the same traps. Good example being Clyde Gates.

Triangle type metrics do relate to explosiveness. Bigger, stronger, faster and quicker players can often be more explosive. But a lot of time there's a combination of explosiveness and play making on the field that just isn't described by the explosiveness alone, or the triangle numbers. Some of the players he's taken have definitely been explosive, but they weren't play makers.

If we're going to discuss this seriously I would say that one issue with this front office (not just Ireland) is that they may equate triangle metrics to explosive play making ability a little bit too much. For a Jeff Ireland it seems like a guy is either a big/strong type or a size/speed type.

I'm not trying to be over critical because it's easy to make some of the mistakes they've made and in fact I've fallen into some of the same traps. Good example being Clyde Gates.

Triangle type metrics do relate to explosiveness. Bigger, stronger, faster and quicker players can often be more explosive. But a lot of time there's a combination of explosiveness and play making on the field that just isn't described by the explosiveness alone, or the triangle numbers. Some of the players he's taken have definitely been explosive, but they weren't play makers.

Agreed two glaring examples that immediately jump out and Clyde Gates and Patrick Turner. In theory they both looked good, one had freak athleticism, the other had very good size. However while they had the physical abilities and talent they just simply were not play makers .

Agreed two glaring examples that immediately jump out and Clyde Gates and Patrick Turner. In theory they both looked good, one had freak athleticism, the other had very good size. However while they had the physical abilities and talent they just simply were not play makers .

Not just them but look at the bottom of the roster, guys like Les Brown, 7-11, Roberto Wallace, etc. All test off the charts good, physically. None of them have an extensive history of making plays at a high level.

The most explosive players this front office has acquired via free agency and the draft:

Offense: Bess
defense: Wake

It is truly concerning that Ireland/Parcells did not hit on any explosive players in draft picks in five offseasons. Our biggest being Bess and Wake, both free agent fliers.

The NFL is about who has the better players. We don't have them. Our front office fails us, and has consistently, for over a decade.

The most explosive players this front office has acquired via free agency and the draft:

Offense: Bess
defense: Wake

It is truly concerning that Ireland/Parcells did not hit on any explosive players in draft picks in five offseasons. Our biggest being Bess and Wake, both free agent fliers.

The NFL is about who has the better players. We don't have them. Our front office fails us, and has consistently, for over a decade.

Brandon Marshall was the most explosive player on offense that they acquired. I suppose Reggie Bush would actually be considered the 2nd...

Not just them but look at the bottom of the roster, guys like Les Brown, 7-11, Roberto Wallace, etc. All test off the charts good, physically. None of them have an extensive history of making plays at a high level.

I'm surprised you haven't caught on as to why this is happening or what the REAL problem here is.

Its quite simple really. To a man like Fireland, someone who is as dumb as him looks at the metrics and says he has the same "tangibles" as Player A so why draft in round 1-3 when I can acquire the same "tangibles, metrics" in round 4-UDFA. He doesn't take account into playmakers are playmakers not playmakers come in metrics.

1 example, Wilford, tall big strong, Gates pretty tall and a burner, Turner tall big strong, NaNaee tall big strong, Wallace tall big strong etc etc. He compares those metrics to AJ Green that has the same size weight strength or BM and says he can do it just as well as AJ or BM etc because they have the same TANGIBLES.

Instead of viewing it as who makes plays on the FOOTBALL Field first than look at metrics second.

I think you can win and make the playoffs without a great defense...the Patriots almost won the SB last year with a defense ranked near the bottom, but I don't think you can win a SB with an average to poor offense. Offense wins SB's these days because of the new rules. We have to find more explosive players or we are never going to get to the promised land.

reggie bush, the sudden forgotten man. what a difference a year can make.

But I just think Ireland and Philbin screwed the pooch at WR this year. Ireland is dealing with a new regime of coaches so I think the change messed his mind a little coming off the Marshall trade. But I also think there is a long term plan in mind here. The skill position does not equate to championships. Skill position working hard to become the best is what it comes down to IMO. Look at guys like Wake who came from out of nowhere? Why? Because he works hard at his craft week in week out. He works at being the best. Hartline works hard at being the best he can be, if only he didnt have to dive for every friggin ball or fall down when someone touches his shoelace in the open field.

People shouldnt just look at the most talented guy but the guy who stays humble and works hard at their craft every week. I watched that interview with Calvin Johnson last night and what struck me is not his size, but how he approaches the game and his head never lets him become complacent.

Back
Top Bottom