Is Ireland incapable of identifying explosive players? | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Is Ireland incapable of identifying explosive players?

When faced with the choice between Daniel Thomas and Demarco Murray he chose Thomas. He chose Egnew over Hilton as a potential playmaker in our passing game. Yes, he has problems identifying playmakers.

Those are perfect examples of why Ireland (Ball Boy/Placekicker) Needs to Go. The Dolphins are not going anywhere, again until this Loser is Gone. Daniel Thomas and Egnew would not even be on a Good Teams Roster. Hence we are not a Good Team man.

I really don't know what to make of this. If Demarco Murray was a Dolphin you'd be blasting Ireland for drafting a guy who had a litany of injuries in college and has only played in 50% of the games in his NFL career.

I really don't know what to make of this. If Demarco Murray was a Dolphin you'd be blasting Ireland for drafting a guy who had a litany of injuries in college and has only played in 50% of the games in his NFL career.
Nope. I can guarantee I would not have criticized a Demarco Murray pick. I was hoping on draft day that Ireland was targeting him but of course no he moved up for DT. Demarco's susceptibility to injury has been a major negative, but he is an explosive playmaker at the RB position and his playing 50% of games would still outproduce anyone else on our offense.

My biggest gripes with the Gates pick, he seemed really raw and did not have a long history of top production at a fairly minor institution. He seemed a guy with speed but was a lesser prospect to me than recent draftee Knox also from there. That combined with him being slightly overaged made him less of a prospect to me

DId you follow the post draft PC during that year?

When we drafted him Ireland said fans wanted speed and were upset we hadn't added any and well now we have. He has big time speed that should increase our overal team speed.

That **** thought 1 guy, drafted in round 4 was a game breaker. Thats his issue even as a GM this year he will literally add 1 WR. He doesn't believe in WR talent and doens't know how to find WR talent.

Please remember....that we were going to start this season with David Garrard at QB, Ocho and Nanee as or starting Wr's...now ask yourself can Ireland find talent or what??

Thats the scariest part man.

Our offense was going to consist of Gerrard, Thomas, Fasano, Ocho, and NaNaee.

Are you kidding me here? Wow I think my turkedy day homies only football tournament team wouldn't pick any of those guys up to form a team.

Do you notice one common theme there on that list? SLOW, UNATHLETIC, and NON PERFORMERS only METRICS.

I for one am tired of the dolphins drafting projects and "acorns" with potential. Why can't Ireland draft people who are naturally talented at their position instead of the so called "potential" factor. A rock has potential when it starts moving to do great damage, but until something causes that rock to move, it's only potential. I think he made the same decision with Tannehill. A project at the most important position. An acorn among oak trees.

Obviously hindsight is 20/20 here but being at a small school hasn't stopped a metric ton of prospects ending up good in the NFL and Knox was actually a good example of how that could happen. Personally I don't care about the age and I've never had a history caring about it. Bottom line to me on Gates is that he doesn't have a feel for the game (which we knew) and he wasn't learning it (which was difficult to predict). Sometimes when you go with guys that are new to the game and came a long way in a short amount of time, it's a really, really good sign. Sometimes you end up wishing you'd gotten a dude that's been playing exactly the position he's playing since he was 7 years old. Intelligence might be the delta for when it's ok and when it's not, and from what I've seen Gates isn't the brightest bulb.
We still should've drafted Denarius Moore out of Tennessee that year. I still can't believe that dude went in the 5th round.

When faced with the choice between Daniel Thomas and Demarco Murray he chose Thomas. He chose Egnew over Hilton as a potential playmaker in our passing game. Yes, he has problems identifying playmakers.

Rishard is a potential exception and I just hope he's given the opportunity to prove what a natural playmaker he is as he showed spectacularly in college.
Demarco Murray had legitimate injury concerns.

I wonder if Philbin would go straight to Ross and tell him that he has no faith in Ireland assembling the roster...

I remember from Hard Knocks these two didn't have the same opinion on a few players...

Probably not since he's the new man on campus compared to Ireland being here for liek 5 years already.

Obviously hindsight is 20/20 here but being at a small school hasn't stopped a metric ton of prospects ending up good in the NFL and Knox was actually a good example of how that could happen. Personally I don't care about the age and I've never had a history caring about it. Bottom line to me on Gates is that he doesn't have a feel for the game (which we knew) and he wasn't learning it (which was difficult to predict). Sometimes when you go with guys that are new to the game and came a long way in a short amount of time, it's a really, really good sign. Sometimes you end up wishing you'd gotten a dude that's been playing exactly the position he's playing since he was 7 years old. Intelligence might be the delta for when it's ok and when it's not, and from what I've seen Gates isn't the brightest bulb.

Wasnt saying because he was from a small school he couldnt be successful but he really only had the one big year at Abilene unlike Knox who had 30 td receptions in two seasons there. That school produces solid talent but from watching both in college Knox was always the better prospect.

Belichick isn't a good GM. He has had more failures in recent years than Ireland. Most of his FA acquisitions have been spectacular failures in recent years. The difference is that they still win so no one cares about the failures. A hall of fame QB will mask a lot of deficiencies in talent acquisition. Without Brady, Belichick would have been run out of town in recent years because of his poor performance as a GM.

This is completely ludicrous. Yes Belichick misses on draft picks, but he has hit on many. The Pats generally stockpile picks like poker chips, and while they miss, they also hit. As opposed to the Jets philosophy of trading picks for players, the Patriots rarely do that.

Go ahead and line up the Patriots drafts against Ireland's for the past 5 years. You will find more impact players drafted by the Pats. The Patriots have arguably the two best tight ends in football for gods sake. On the same roster.

And while Brady makes this team go, don't kid yourself that without him they would suck at the Fins level. Anyone remember a guy named Matt Cassel?

This is two franchises that have been polar opposites for more than a decade. It starts with strong ownership, and a core philosophy. A plan. And execution to the plan. Never overpaying aging players for starters. Stockpiling picks. Getting players to buy into team above individual.

Your "this is all because of Brady" excuse is way off base.

Patriots traded up for Chandler Jones and Donta Hightower just this last draft.

Patriots are elite because of Belicheck's prowess as a coach, not as a GM. He places too much on value, especially on injured players. Sometimes he gets Rob Gronkowski, other times he gets Ras I Dowling.

Patriots traded up for Chandler Jones and Donta Hightower just this last draft.

Patriots are elite because of Belicheck's prowess as a coach, not as a GM. He places too much on value, especially on injured players. Sometimes he gets Rob Gronkowski, other times he gets Ras I Dowling.

The Patriots have playmakers at pretty much every position except maybe DE. They even have better DTs and Gaurds than us and thats supposed to be Ireland's specialty. Belichick as a gm>>>>>Ireland.

Back
Top Bottom