Is Ireland incapable of identifying explosive players? | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Is Ireland incapable of identifying explosive players?

He likes them but doesn't draft them. He gets credit for liking them, right?

This is an issue that casual fans don't seem to grasp. Players that have to meet specific size requirements vs playmaking skill. All you need to do is look at the product on the field and recall Parcells ridiculous requirements. Those rules have kept a large amount of playmaking ability off Miami draft boards.

I think it's unreasonable to think that Ireland can change how he evaluates and drafts which contradicts what Philbin desires in a player. Philbin came from a winning to a losing culture and until the change is made at GM and throughout the scouting department, I don't see Philbin having much success here. What really chaps my ass is that I like Philbin and think he is the best coach the Dolphins have had since Shula.

When faced with the choice between Daniel Thomas and Demarco Murray he chose Thomas. He chose Egnew over Hilton as a potential playmaker in our passing game. Yes, he has problems identifying playmakers.

Rishard is a potential exception and I just hope he's given the opportunity to prove what a natural playmaker he is as he showed spectacularly in college.

after hearing Fasano on QAM just now (12/11), it's abundantly clear that Ireland is drafting what he thinks and not what the coaches want or need! Fasano said Egnew's not playing because he's never been in the system and doesn't know what he's being asked to do! WOW!!! b-e-a-utiful.

any Ireland defenders wanna step up on this?

This is an issue that casual fans don't seem to grasp. Players that have to meet specific size requirements vs playmaking skill. All you need to do is look at the product on the field and recall Parcells ridiculous requirements. Those rules have kept a large amount of playmaking ability off Miami draft boards.

I think it's unreasonable to think that Ireland can change how he evaluates and drafts which contradicts what Philbin desires in a player. Philbin came from a winning to a losing culture and until the change is made at GM and throughout the scouting department, I don't see Philbin having much success here. What really chaps my ass is that I like Philbin and think he is the best coach the Dolphins have had since Shula.

I agree with your first point, but disagree with your second. I think Ireland's strength lies in scouting on the defensive side of the ball. I think the counterbalance of Philbin/Sherman, with the latter being a former GM himself, will help Ireland find the players who fit the offense's new scheme.

The 2012 was primarily an offensive draft. They went offense with picks the picks in round 1, 2, 3b, 4, 6, 7b. Of course, those picks were high ceiling developmental guys which is exactly the kind that Ireland typically shies away from.

Also remember the Woodhead fumble. That was a bad fumble, went right into the endzone. From my experience seeing these types of things during a MIami game, I knew PAtriots would lose the ball, and then BAM Llyod falls on it for a TD. I was shocked that happened until I realized that, this is not a joke Miami Dolphins team that never would have the ability to even remotely have a play like that go their way, this is the Patriots who know how to complete a play.
It's funny how the Dolphins draft a guy like Tight End Eggnutz out of Missouri....is he still on the team?....has he even played a single game? But then the Patriots grab a guy off the streets (Donte Stallworth) and he scores a 74 yard TD tonight on Monday Night Football. I wonder why we cannot find scrubs like this who are better than guys we draft??? :rolleyes2:

When faced with the choice between Daniel Thomas and Demarco Murray he chose Thomas. He chose Egnew over Hilton as a potential playmaker in our passing game. Yes, he has problems identifying playmakers.

Those are perfect examples of why Ireland (Ball Boy/Placekicker) Needs to Go. The Dolphins are not going anywhere, again until this Loser is Gone. Daniel Thomas and Egnew would not even be on a Good Teams Roster. Hence we are not a Good Team man.

My biggest gripes with the Gates pick, he seemed really raw and did not have a long history of top production at a fairly minor institution. He seemed a guy with speed but was a lesser prospect to me than recent draftee Knox also from there. That combined with him being slightly overaged made him less of a prospect to me

Obviously hindsight is 20/20 here but being at a small school hasn't stopped a metric ton of prospects ending up good in the NFL and Knox was actually a good example of how that could happen. Personally I don't care about the age and I've never had a history caring about it. Bottom line to me on Gates is that he doesn't have a feel for the game (which we knew) and he wasn't learning it (which was difficult to predict). Sometimes when you go with guys that are new to the game and came a long way in a short amount of time, it's a really, really good sign. Sometimes you end up wishing you'd gotten a dude that's been playing exactly the position he's playing since he was 7 years old. Intelligence might be the delta for when it's ok and when it's not, and from what I've seen Gates isn't the brightest bulb.

someone please explain why Belichick is so good at being a GM and why Ireland isn't?

Belichick has to practice, evaluate players, hold team meetings, hold position meetings, regulate the roster/injuries, meet with coaches & trainers, deal with the owner and the media, gameplan, then travel & coach games each week.

Ireland… just GM's.

Patriots are kickin ass and takin names.

Dolphins are getting their ass kicked and called names.

and everyone thinks Ross/Ireland are on par with Kraft/Belichick?

South Florida is a fool's paradise.

someone please explain why Belichick is so good at being a GM and why Ireland isn't?

Belichick has to practice, evaluate players, hold team meetings, hold position meetings, regulate the roster/injuries, meet with coaches & trainers, deal with the owner and the media, gameplan, then travel & coach games each week.

Ireland… just GM's.

Patriots are kickin ass and takin names.

Dolphins are getting their ass kicked and called names.

and everyone thinks Ross/Ireland are on par with Kraft/Belichick?

South Florida is a fool's paradise.

Belichick isn't a good GM. He has had more failures in recent years than Ireland. Most of his FA acquisitions have been spectacular failures in recent years. The difference is that they still win so no one cares about the failures. A hall of fame QB will mask a lot of deficiencies in talent acquisition. Without Brady, Belichick would have been run out of town in recent years because of his poor performance as a GM.

Please remember....that we were going to start this season with David Garrard at QB, Ocho and Nanee as or starting Wr's...now ask yourself can Ireland find talent or what??

Back
Top Bottom