Is Ireland incapable of identifying explosive players? | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Is Ireland incapable of identifying explosive players?

if you believe Jeff Ireland is the answer… then you're not asking the correct question, which is: after 5 years of the same, why do expect him to change what he does? because in his mind, it's working… just the way it is. and what's worse, is he has the owner believing along with him. sadly, Einstein's theory of insanity permeates Dolphins HQ on a train running downhill with no brake.

There is a common narrative that Ireland can't draft skills players. Is that the case or have they simply not acquired many skills players in the first place? Can we do an analysis on his picks and acquisitions at the WR, RB and TE positions and see what percentage of those picks/signings paid any dividends.

Anyone can agree that the skills players have been ignored during his tenure, but is it a matter of what they prioritized or that they can't identify talented players at those positions? I ask because I think this year will definitely be the year that they prioritize the skills positions over line positions. If they spend a 1st round pick on a WR, should we fear them picking the wrong player?

Please someone provide a solid data driven analysis of all the offensive skills players selected under Ireland's tenure.

I honestly believe the only thing he cares about getting value regardless if that value is devoid of talent.

Marshall is not explosive, have you ever seen him play? He's a brute, with a size advantage on the average cornerback. He never beats a corner deep, if he get's a long ball the corner is right there, Marshall just uses his size to win the ball. For those who want Ireland gone, maybe you would rather have JJ or Wrongstadt back. Just like QB's there are 32 teams and only maybe 20 good QB's? or GM's as the metaphor goes. Careful what you ask for you just may get Pioli'ed just like KC did... or Oakland...SD, Cleveland,Tenn., Or you could get Jones'ed like Big D, or Jag'ed, Bungled, or Bill'ed. Just WTF is the sure fire hire out there (that the other 12 or 13 teams will be competing for) guaranteed to put them over the top?

Marshall is not explosive, have you ever seen him play? He's a brute, with a size advantage on the average cornerback. He never beats a corner deep, if he get's a long ball the corner is right there, Marshall just uses his size to win the ball. For those who want Ireland gone, maybe you would rather have JJ or Wrongstadt back. Just like QB's there are 32 teams and only maybe 20 good QB's? or GM's as the metaphor goes. Careful what you ask for you just may get Pioli'ed just like KC did... or Oakland...SD, Cleveland,Tenn., Or you could get Jones'ed like Big D, or Jag'ed, Bungled, or Bill'ed. Just WTF is the sure fire hire out there (that the other 12 or 13 teams will be competing for) guaranteed to put them over the top?

Marshall was capable of an explosive play on every snap. His greatest asset was his ability to create YAC. When I said explosive, I didn't just mean fast...

I vividly remember the 7 dropped TD's last year. B.M. is the ultimate sand lot player and a real piece of $h!* in my book. Defend him if you must, but he was a big part of the problem and none of the solution.

Here's a problem- lets keep trading down in drafts and acquiring picks that go wasted. Screw that notion and actually trade up and get some talent. I wouldn't care if we had 2 or 3 total in rds 1 and 2 and that's it. This team obviously can't draft so at least in those rounds you'll have a better shot at hitting.

It's funny how the Dolphins draft a guy like Tight End Eggnutz out of Missouri....is he still on the team?....has he even played a single game? But then the Patriots grab a guy off the streets (Donte Stallworth) and he scores a 74 yard TD tonight on Monday Night Football. I wonder why we cannot find scrubs like this who are better than guys we draft??? :rolleyes2:

I vividly remember the 7 dropped TD's last year. B.M. is the ultimate sand lot player and a real piece of $h!* in my book. Defend him if you must, but he was a big part of the problem and none of the solution.

I didn't say it was wrong to get rid of him, just saying he was the most explosive offensive player that they acquired. If he weren't such a POS he would still be here.

Brandon Marshall was the most explosive player on offense that they acquired. I suppose Reggie Bush would actually be considered the 2nd...

If you would actually take the time to read the post, Im talking about acquiring explosive players thru free agency and the draft. Both Marshall and Bush were acquired via trade.

The point being this front office has failed in free agency and the draft to acquire explosive players.

If we're going to discuss this seriously I would say that one issue with this front office (not just Ireland) is that they may equate triangle metrics to explosive play making ability a little bit too much. For a Jeff Ireland it seems like a guy is either a big/strong type or a size/speed type.

I'm not trying to be over critical because it's easy to make some of the mistakes they've made and in fact I've fallen into some of the same traps. Good example being Clyde Gates.

Triangle type metrics do relate to explosiveness. Bigger, stronger, faster and quicker players can often be more explosive. But a lot of time there's a combination of explosiveness and play making on the field that just isn't described by the explosiveness alone, or the triangle numbers. Some of the players he's taken have definitely been explosive, but they weren't play makers.

My biggest gripes with the Gates pick, he seemed really raw and did not have a long history of top production at a fairly minor institution. He seemed a guy with speed but was a lesser prospect to me than recent draftee Knox also from there. That combined with him being slightly overaged made him less of a prospect to me

jeff ireland is an idiot. if we somehow sign greg jennings, i bet ireland will think our reciever problem is fixed, and then he wont draft a receiver until the 3rd round. and it will be another "developmental player" and not a player who can have an immediate impact.

Not just them but look at the bottom of the roster, guys like Les Brown, 7-11, Roberto Wallace, etc. All test off the charts good, physically. None of them have an extensive history of making plays at a high level.
I think this is directly correlated with the fact that he's been generally unwilling to spend high picks on the WR position....guys with both freak athleticism and high-level production against top competition are going to be in high demand. If he's around next year though and a top free agent doesn't seem doable, I could see him learning his lesson finally...much like he did with the QB position this year.

Back
Top Bottom