Is Ja’wuan James Worth $50m And A Third-round Pick? How Comp Picks Will Play A Factor | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Is Ja’wuan James Worth $50m And A Third-round Pick? How Comp Picks Will Play A Factor

This one could go either way, but I'm not a fan of James … people keep glorifying mediocre to poor play. The guy is a bad run blocker, period. While he has had his moments, his body of work clearly shows that he's a liability in the run game. His entire appeal is as a pass protector, and that is very hit-and-miss. He has longer stretches of decent pass protection, but his injuries and inexplicable bad runs of form always show up and the guy just isn't special at even pass protection.

IMHO, he's not worth the money, and I'm a guy who typically is OK with investing in our OL and re-signing our own draft picks and points out that we simply place too little emphasis on the OL. So this isn't an opinion that comes lightly. I simply see a guy who has had a full body of work to evaluate and has a poor record, with his only consistency being that he is inconsistent in his production because of injuries and some other cause that keeps surfacing.

Veteran, but a rather young one. High priced, but not exorbitantly priced … at least we think right now. Not a top echelon player at his position, but not the worst. Not a high-priority position (unless we get a left-handed QB), but not a low-priority one either. Not worth the salary cap, IMHO, but helpful protecting a young QB on an OL that needs multiple new starters already. This guy is sort of in the middle with everything … not horrible, just not good. I don't think he has a particularly good or bad attitude either.

Usually, these type of players do not survive regime changes … but I could see this one going either way. Personally, I'd move on from him. I just don't see enough of a strong case to invest good money into him when I have little faith he will blossom, little faith that his health issues will improve, and see little reason to make a big salary cap commitment in what looks to be a tanking year.

He's going to want more than 10mill. He wanted more last year when we kept him so he's gonna want at least 11 mill per year. Imo, we should just let him walk and get the comp pick. You don't build a winning team but over paying for a RT. Yes a RT is important. Every position is but you spend the big money on the QB/DE/Corner positions instead of RT's and SS and slot corner like we've done in the past. If we're really going to change then stop over paying for average players.

This one could go either way, but I'm not a fan of James … people keep glorifying mediocre to poor play. The guy is a bad run blocker, period. While he has had his moments, his body of work clearly shows that he's a liability in the run game. His entire appeal is as a pass protector, and that is very hit-and-miss. He has longer stretches of decent pass protection, but his injuries and inexplicable bad runs of form always show up and the guy just isn't special at even pass protection.

IMHO, he's not worth the money, and I'm a guy who typically is OK with investing in our OL and re-signing our own draft picks and points out that we simply place too little emphasis on the OL. So this isn't an opinion that comes lightly. I simply see a guy who has had a full body of work to evaluate and has a poor record, with his only consistency being that he is inconsistent in his production because of injuries and some other cause that keeps surfacing.

Veteran, but a rather young one. High priced, but not exorbitantly priced … at least we think right now. Not a top echelon player at his position, but not the worst. Not a high-priority position (unless we get a left-handed QB), but not a low-priority one either. Not worth the salary cap, IMHO, but helpful protecting a young QB on an OL that needs multiple new starters already. This guy is sort of in the middle with everything … not horrible, just not good. I don't think he has a particularly good or bad attitude either.

Usually, these type of players do not survive regime changes … but I could see this one going either way. Personally, I'd move on from him. I just don't see enough of a strong case to invest good money into him when I have little faith he will blossom, little faith that his health issues will improve, and see little reason to make a big salary cap commitment in what looks to be a tanking year.
I agree. I believe he reached his ceiling already which is not that high to invest so much money on.

He's not worth 50 million and shouldn't be paid like a top 5 RT. Just like we shouldn't have paid Lamar Miller like a top 10 HB, like we shouldn't have paid Landry like a top 10 WR and like we shouldn't have paid Vernon like a top 3 DE. It was smart letting those 3 go and it will be smart to let James go. He's a guy who has yet to play 16 games in 2 consecutive seasons, if his backup is going to play about 8 games every other season might as well just let his backup become the starter and let someone else over pay James.

Last edited:
A football genius is not required to identify and manipulate the system the NFL has set up for compensatory draft picks. Its a pretty simple approach. Don't sign your own free agents to overpriced contracts and attempt to identify undervalued players that can be acquired via trade or late in the free agent process. I assume the NFL will eventually move to even things out a bit and include players traded for picks in their compensatory calculations but at the moment they don't so the clever GMs will take advantage of it.

It is true that its impossible to judge a player's worth, especially in this sport where there are so many pieces that have to operate in a cohesive manner. What you can do however is calculate the difference. If the two options are James and Davis is the difference between the two worth 40+ mil and a 3rd or 4th rounder?

Agreed, it certainly doesn't take genius to figure out comp picks and they should probably let James walk simply because by the time we are in serious win mode, his best days will be behind...it does however take genius to take players you've cut and signed off your team in FA and make them productive members of the most SB wins in NFL history.

I'd pass all day. Hes not dominant and there is no reason to pay him as such. I'd let him walk. It's all about value. If u have a top 3 tackle than pay them as such. But if not then dont overspend

The Patriots have always been able to identify Offensive Linemen, in the mid to late rounds, who fit their system and perform adequately to protect the QB. I'm hoping the Patriot way has come to Miami, in that the people in place within the organization can help Miami move past mediocrity along its O-line. It's been too long and a lot of wasted resources "TRYING" to fix the line with older, broken down players. It's time to embrace the change in approach that could be coming to Miami with all of the new people and structure now in place? So with that being said, I'm all for letting James walk and take whatever comp pick Miami receives in the 2020 draft.

Last edited:
He's not worth 50 million and shouldn't be paid like a top 5 RT. Just like we shouldn't have paid Lamar Miller like a top 10 HB, like we shouldn't have paid Landry like a top 10 WR and like we shouldn't have paid Vernon like a top 3 DE. It was smart letting those 3 go and it will be part to let James go. He's a guy who has yet to play 16 games in 2 consecutive seasons, if his backup is going to play about 8 games every other season might as well just let his backup become the stater and let someone else over pay James.
Yea I kind of disagree on the 3 guys u mentioned specially OV and Landry. The point really isn't that we didn't pay them what they got elsewhere. The buz was that we could've signed both of them for about 10 mill per yr had we done it the yr before they became FA. That's how you keep your own good players and at the same time not overpay for them

Yea I kind of disagree on the 3 guys u mentioned specially OV and Landry. The point really isn't that we didn't pay them what they got elsewhere. The buz was that we could've signed both of them for about 10 mill per yr had we done it the yr before they became FA. That's how you keep your own good players and at the same time not overpay for them

If the whispers are true than would could have had them for $10 million than the Dolphins are dumb for not resigning them sooner. But whispers can't be corroborated so we don't really know what the truth is. I remember OV agent saying before he signed with the Giant that he was projecting OV to earn $15-16 million. He said that in February before free agency even began.

If the whispers are true than would could have had them for $10 million than the Dolphins are dumb for not resigning them sooner. But whispers can't be corroborated so we don't really know what the truth is. I remember OV agent saying before he signed with the Giant that he was projecting OV to earn $15-16 million. He said that in February before free agency even began.
Would it really surprise you if the dolphins did something stupid? Also the proj 15-16 mil was a month before they hit the market. I'm talking bout signing them the yr prior.

The Patriots have always been able to identify Offensive Linemen, in the mid to late rounds, who fit their system and perform adequately to protect the QB. I'm hoping the Patriot way has come to Miami, in that the people in place within the organization can help Miami move past mediocrity along its O-line. It's been too long and a lot of wasted resources "TRYING" to fix the line with older, broken down players. It's time to embrace the change in approach that could be coming to Miami with all of the new people and structure now in place? So with that being said, I'm all for letting James walk and take whatever comp pick Miami receives in the 2020 draft.
The only reason they can do that is because they have IMHO the greatest offensive line coach in the history of the NFL. They took a huge step backwards when he retired for a couple years.

Let him walk, forget about getting a 3rd comp pick. History will tell the Phins front office can't figure out the formula post Dawn Aponte. The sheer amount of cuts will kill-off any chance of any comp pick. Should have unloaded the part-time player last year.

Back
Top Bottom