Is Ja’wuan James Worth $50m And A Third-round Pick? How Comp Picks Will Play A Factor | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Is Ja’wuan James Worth $50m And A Third-round Pick? How Comp Picks Will Play A Factor

If the whispers are true than would could have had them for $10 million than the Dolphins are dumb for not resigning them sooner. But whispers can't be corroborated so we don't really know what the truth is. I remember OV agent saying before he signed with the Giant that he was projecting OV to earn $15-16 million. He said that in February before free agency even began.

I have a feeling Landry gets signed to that $11 AAV contract after year 3 if that video didn't get released of him being aggressive with that woman.

No player has ever been vilified quicker than Landry ... except for maybe Jason Taylor.

I agree with the overall consensus in this thread -- James is not worthy of being paid
like a top 5 RT. His game is inconsistent in terms performance on the field and
also just being on the field.

But we have far more construction to do than we can possibly achieve in the
short term -- and losing a viable OL starter is a difficult proposition for this team.

I think the best best may be something like this -- put together a contract James can
live with and make sure it's very trade friendly so we have some options down the line.
If not that -- we definitely need to make the contract incentive laden -- starting with
him staying on the field to get the extra ca$h. Not sure if that's workable these days
but it would be a decent start IMO.

Last, as other have noted -- a lot of this (maybe all of it) depends on the evaluation
conducted by the new staff. If they see something they really like and believe they can
ramp up -- well that would certainly be a factor.

Bonus point -- it also depends on how much James wants to stay in SFL.
First thought in terms of moving -- would the Falcons be interested in him?
(Going back to his home area)

A potential mid-round pick isn’t going to change my opinion of the situation.

The Patriots have always been able to identify Offensive Linemen, in the mid to late rounds, who fit their system and perform adequately to protect the QB. I'm hoping the Patriot way has come to Miami, in that the people in place within the organization can help Miami move past mediocrity along its O-line. It's been too long and a lot of wasted resources "TRYING" to fix the line with older, broken down players. It's time to embrace the change in approach that could be coming to Miami with all of the new people and structure now in place? So with that being said, I'm all for letting James walk and take whatever comp pick Miami receives in the 2020 draft.
I agree. But it is worth noting that in addition to their better identification of OL talent than the Dolphins has been the fact that they use more draft picks on it too.

The Patriots are famous for trading back and acquiring more picks, usually in rounds 3-5, and more compensatory picks in that range as well. So those mid-rounds they use a lot of those picks on OL, and constantly have a revolving door of new OL coming through. Sometimes they even trade to acquire OL prospects. They don't stick with prospects for 3+ years if they're not working out, unlike the Dolphins who stick far too long with undeveloped projects like John Jerry, Dallas Thomas, Turner, and Jonathan Martin. The Patriots draft a lot of young prospects, and if they show signs of getting it, they keep them for another year or so, but if they putter along barely developing, they cut bait and move on to another mid-round OL prospect. The list of guys who failed at New England and succeeded elsewhere is pretty small compared to the number of players they churn through.

I'm with you @dolfan91 , we should use those mid-round picks to draft more OL … and since we're not using quality picks to find those hidden gems, we should be using quantity by drafting more of those guys, probably 2 per year, and draft OL every year. That cures us from the endless cycle of hope where we accept poor OL play because some kid has raw tools that continue to develop too slowly to be productive. If they don't develop quickly, get 'em out of the pipeline and bring in a new OL prospect and see what he's got.

He gets roasted frequently in third and medium plus. Pass.

Let him walk, forget about getting a 3rd comp pick. History will tell the Phins front office can't figure out the formula post Dawn Aponte. The sheer amount of cuts will kill-off any chance of any comp pick. Should have unloaded the part-time player last year.
I'm not an expert on the subject but I wasn't aware cuts hurt your chances. I thought it was the balance of who you lost and who you signed?

agree with others who don’t want him back at top 3 RT money... give him an average amount for an average player and okay. But otherwise, see if Jesse Davis is better at tackle than he was at guard, and/or bring in a cheaper vet. We need an entire interior OL rework- it didn’t seem Davis was part of the solution there last year- maybe he is better outside, in 2017 wasn’t he better there? I just think James isn’t worth the money he wants (north of 10 mil a year??) no thanks.. fill the RT hole some other way. Save money needed for LT and XH.

Considering we could gain a comp pick, this would be okay too if someone else signed him to a big deal... from way i understand these comp picks, the only other free agents who could maybe garner any value for other teams to sign are wake and MAYBE Hayes. But we will probably sign some guys that negate wake/Hayes going somewhere if they do. SO James might get us something but depends on how we play FA.

I'm not an expert on the subject but I wasn't aware cuts hurt your chances. I thought it was the balance of who you lost and who you signed?
Cuts.... idk... I dont hunk players we cut and then go on elsewhere affect the comp picks. Pretty sure.

But what about Parker? Didn’t we just pick up his 5th year option? Can we just decline it still; making him a free agent?? Or is it too late for that??

Cuts.... idk... I dont hunk players we cut and then go on elsewhere affect the comp picks. Pretty sure.

But what about Parker? Didn’t we just pick up his 5th year option? Can we just decline it still; making him a free agent?? Or is it too late for that??
He would not qualify as he would be a player cut

Cam and James would net a couple of 3rd Rders. I don’t expect Miami to sign anyone that would impact the formula.
If we see them let go of these 2 “question mark FAs” - well- that would be biggest sign we are heading towards the Patriots way.

Let him go.

And let Oswiler get murdered next season. I dont really care.

I believe we can rescind it anytime before the new league year, March 14. He would become a free agent at that point but I don't know if he would be considered a "cut"

I believe we can rescind it anytime before the new league year, March 14. He would become a free agent at that point but I don't know if he would be considered a "cut"
That would be nice but @Manning has a different take ... hmmmm

Would be awesome if we could rescind it as someone would absolutely take a chance on Parker

of course let him walk, as stated earlier get 80-90% of the production for 10-30% cost. Phins are going nowhere this year, might as well clean up the balance sheet and stockpile comp picks (unless the new front office are stupid enough to sign FAs again.

That is the secret of Patriots, never over pay for the the extra 20%, if you can get than take it, but dont pay for it.

No QB has to be murdered, just change the blocking schemes, something Gase would not figure out. Watch the Patriot games, note the TE/RB, they chip block 30% of time, amazing how that stops the outside rushers from teeing off and pressuring the OTs into mistakes.

Fundamentals.....something we have not seen since Shula to be honest.

Back
Top Bottom