Votes: 30 28.6%
  • Not a chance .he's the real deal

Votes: 29 27.6%
  • On the fence

Votes: 36 34.3%
  • I'm not going on record yet

Votes: 10 9.5%

• Total voters
Doubt it. All the NFL does is recycle GM's and coaches.

Taking guys like Charles Harris high should be what has you selling insurance. If that doesn't do it nothing will.

This is a different situation though. If you are a GM that uses a top 10 pick on a 5'9" quarterback when there is no track record for success of quarterbacks at that size, and you ignore the alarm signs that are going off that shows the risk in drafting this player, you will be out of the league if he busts.

Ray Farmer technically drafted Johnny Manziel in the first round. Ray Farmer does not currently work in the NFL.

Missing on a player who isn't an extreme outlier like Kyler Murray may get you fired, but you will still work in the league. Missing on Kyler Murray with a high pick though, then I don't think you get another job.

This is a different situation though. If you are a GM that uses a top 10 pick on a 5'9" quarterback when there is no track record for success of quarterbacks at that size, and you ignore the alarm signs that are going off that shows the risk in drafting this player, you will be out of the league if he busts.

Ray Farmer technically drafted Johnny Manziel in the first round. Ray Farmer does not currently work in the NFL.

Missing on a player who isn't an extreme outlier like Kyler Murray may get you fired, but you will still work in the league. Missing on Kyler Murray with a high pick though, then I don't think you get another job.

With all due respect, I don't believe a word of it.

Furthermore, Ray Farmer doesn't currently work for the NFL for other reasons. Not because of Johnny Manziel.

Kyler Murray makes a hell of a lot more sense in the 1st round than a guy like Charles Harris.

He's clearly not a first round QB prospect in my eyes. I absolutely despise when QBs bail the pocket at the first hint of pressure, and Kyler consistently does that when I watch him on film. He's not Russell Wilson, which is the player many supporters want to point to as a reason to expect success from Kyler.

Even Louis Riddick was talking about what I mentioned earlier. I stand by my statement. If you take a 5'9" quarterback high in the draft and he busts, you will not work in the NFL much longer.

He's clearly not a first round QB prospect in my eyes. I absolutely despise when QBs bail the pocket at the first hint of pressure, and Kyler consistently does that when I watch him on film. He's not Russell Wilson, which is the player many supporters want to point to as a reason to expect success from Kyler.

Even Louis Riddick was talking about what I mentioned earlier. I stand by my statement. If you take a 5'9" quarterback high in the draft and he busts, you will not work in the NFL much longer.

I certainly admire your strong stance on Murray. It's all about conviction at the QB position. I have Haskins graded above Murray. But I do believe Murray can play in the NFL and is worthy of a mid 1st round pick.

I just don't put much stock into anything that comes out of the mouths of the talking heads. I've seen too much to the contrary. Very, very few GM's are put in place because of anything they've accomplished prior.

I certainly admire your strong stance on Murray. It's all about conviction at the QB position. I have Haskins graded above Murray. But I do believe Murray can play in the NFL and is worthy of a mid 1st round pick.

I just don't put much stock into anything that comes out of the mouths of the talking heads. I've seen too much to the contrary. Very, very few GM's are put in place because of anything they've accomplished prior.

I'm not even convinced on Haskins at this point. I like some of the things I see. Some others, I don't like. However, the idea of taking a guy who has only one year as a starter in college is very risky in my view.

There isn't a QB in this draft that would make me want to pass on an opportunity to take one of the top 4 guys next year.

I'm not even convinced on Haskins at this point. I like some of the things I see. Some others, I don't like. However, the idea of taking a guy who has only one year as a starter in college is very risky in my view.

There isn't a QB in this draft that would make me want to pass on an opportunity to take one of the top 4 guys next year.

I'm not convinced of anything other than they're in this draft and I graded them based on what I saw and what I believe could be in their future. 2020 class certainly has less exceptions and questions marks, but that don't necessarily mean anything either.

Over under on Murray's 40 is 4.37. Not especially pertinent to the conversation, but wow!

Anyway, I don't understand this talk of Murray not being able to play from the pocket. Something like 85% of his throws were from the pocket, and he was dominant.

The biggest danger with Kyler Murray is he takes a concussion, freaks out, and retires from football like Chris Borland did. Unlike Borland, Murray has a lucrative alternative option to football. If he takes one or a series of concussions, CTE is such a bogeyman nowadays (for good reason), you never know.

I'm not worried about him getting benched and then quitting as a result, or him quitting because he sucks. If that happens he'll be doing you a favor so that you're not somehow finding yourself devoting 7 years to a mediocre-at-best player.

I don't necessarily think Murray is at higher risk of concussion than most other QBs. I think his speed, awareness, willingness to make business decisions, and his musculature are all factors that reduce this risk. But it can happen to anyone and the odds are it will happen to every QB at some point in their career.

On the football field the biggest risk with Kyler Murray is he ends up holding onto the football for too long, unable to read the field in a timely manner. It's the one trait that could be one way in college and then flip the total other direction in the pros. You don't suddenly become inaccurate, or suddenly become bad at making people miss. You don't suddenly become a weak-armed thrower. But you can go from a guy who could get the ball out quickly in college to a guy who can't get it out quickly in the pros.

And if Kyler Murray falls into that trap, at worst he's Tyrod Taylor with a better deep ball.

His best though, is practically unfathomable.

If he gets the ball out and displays the sort of quick process he's shown in college, or heaven forbid even gets better in that regard (as he was only a first year starter), then his ceiling will be dictated by his physical skill set, including stuff like accuracy and touch, and that is staggering. Lincoln Riley is *NOT* wrong to say that he's never seen this package of elusiveness, speed, intelligence, and throwing skill before; that it's unique.

There are negatives with the height. I've probably detailed more poor throws that were sourced in Kyler Murray's deficiencies than most of his detractors. The biggest concern lies at the intersection of his short stature and his tendency to miss high, or to have high ball placement. But it's not a major concern because the bottom line is, he's an accurate thrower of the football. Everyone misses sometimes, and I don't know that it particularly matters why. What matters more is how often.

Last edited:
Over under on Murray's 40 is 4.37. Not especially pertinent to the conversation, but wow!

Anyway, I don't understand this talk of Murray not being able to play from the pocket. Something like 85% of his throws were from the pocket, and he was dominant.

I'll take the over - probably about 4.45. Although the first 10 yard split might be something to behold.

What gives me pause is that Kyler Murray and Marquise Brown both seemed to agree that between them Kyler would probably run the better 40 but that Marquise would be out-running him at the end of the 40 and would still be getting faster.

I'd have put Murray at about a 4.41 but it wouldn't shock me to see him beat that.

I’m taking everything with a grain of salt right now with the media. They also had Mayfield coming to Miami in the mid rounds last year and we all know how that turned out....

Here's the thing with Murray's play from the pocket. As long as he has a clean pocket, he's fine. He has some accuracy issues, but overall, he's fine. It's when he is met with pressure that he tends to start bailing the pocket instead of standing tall and going through his progressions. He leaves a lot of throws on the field because of this.

The thing is, most of his fans don't want to see that because in the Big 12, he wasn't pressured all that much. I can show you clips from several games of his though where he shows that he consistently drops his eyes vs pressure and looks to get out of the pocket.

I also think that, due to his size, he has a tendency to fade back in the pocket instead of step up or step into his throws.

I will take the over too on 4.37

If his eye level drops that separates him from Russell Wilson or baker mayfield.

Back
Top Bottom