Is Matt Burke a good DC?

• Yes

Votes: 12 17.1%
  • No

Votes: 30 42.9%
  • I Don't Know

Votes: 28 40.0%

• Total voters
I'm curious to see how he implements these match-up packages week to week depending on the team we're playing. Nickel, Big-nickel, dime, etc.

Nickel defense just subbing McCain for an OLB.

Big nickel: subbing a safety (likely McDonald) for an OLB.

Dime: bring in 6 DB's....Outside: Howard and Tank, subbing SLB and WLB with DB's. Do they bring in McCain and McDonald? Do they put Fitz in the slot or keep him single high at FS? Possible even CB?

Does Baker get some work in any of these packages? If he can prove his worth in coverage, he can come in at OLB in the dime or big nickel package. Where does that leave McDonald?

How can they get our best coverage defenders on the field at the same time?.....

Howard
Fitzpatrick
Tank
McCain
Lippett
McDonald
Jones
Baker

So many options.....not a bad problem to have. Especially when you have Wake, Quinn, Harris and Hayes as the front 4.

And he lost Nate Allen. And Tony Lippett. And Lawrence Timmons lost his mind. And Byron Maxwell just decided to not do what he was told.

And when the replacement for the replacement for the guy you drafted to be the starter at MLB gets arrested? You're having some **** luck as a DC.

I don't know that Burke is a quality coordinator or not, but judging him on THAT one year...in his first year? Is silly.

When is it no longer silly to judge someone's line of work?

Year two? Year three? Year four?

Part of life is making decisions with foresight. I wasn't impressed with what i saw last year and I don't think he showed enough to be encouraged going forward.

It's all conjecture at this point of the season. I don't see any reason why this team can't make a run this year and at least win a playoff game.

When is it no longer silly to judge someone's line of work?

Year two? Year three? Year four?

Part of life is making decisions with foresight. I wasn't impressed with what i saw last year and I don't think he showed enough to be encouraged going forward.

It's all conjecture at this point of the season. I don't see any reason why this team can't make a run this year and at least win a playoff game.

When I say so.

Hey, if you're gonna give me an opening like that....

My point is that I feel last year would have been a particularly rough year for ANY DC. Let alone one in his first year. Do you honestly feel that you can say, "Ahh, screw it. There are absolutely no circumstances under which we can say 'it's not a good barometer to judge someone based on this limited sample size?'"

My point is that I feel last year would have been a particularly rough year for ANY DC. Let alone one in his first year. Do you honestly feel that you can say, "Ahh, screw it. There are absolutely no circumstances under which we can say 'it's not a good barometer to judge someone based on this limited sample size?'"

Yeah. What the Texans went through was a situation which i would give the D-Coordinator a pass.

I have my opinion of Burke; you have your opinion of Burke..... i think?

Here's the thing:

The question specifically asks: "Is Matt Burke a good DC?"

And we are asked to provide an evaluation based on a 16 game sample size. A 16 game sample in which the defense was mostly pretty bad. I think it's more than fair to answer 'no' without being a Debbie Downer. In his first year on the job, with nothing to work with at linebacker, it would have beene surprising if he DID show to be a good DC.

I just think "No" is the most fair, reasonable answer based on what we've seen. Doesn't mean he can't become a good DC, or prove that he is one. But he certainly hasn't shown that he is yet.

Can’t tell based on one season that included the worst linebacker play seen in years and an injury-plagued secondary, as well as an offense that couldn’t stay on the field. It was the perfect storm of suck for a defensive coordinator.

As of this poll? No. But to be fair, Vance Joseph was not a good DC either. Both had their moments that looked good, and both had awful moments. That being said, I think Terrell Williams was a joke of a DL coach and think getting rid of him is addition by subtraction... but getting KK from Detroit was a huge get. Hell I thought Anarumo was solid with developing our DBs but think we upgraded huge over him too.

So no but optimistic?

Put me in with the "I don't know" group.
On one hand I think the defense has brought some intensity and they were playing with a completely depleted LB corp. Also saw a lot of progress from young players.
On the other hand, our defensive line was a HUGE disappointment and Suh was okay. We were bad at stopping the run (lbs likely the main cause). Also Charles Harris was a no show (could be more on Harris than Burke). The schemes seemed very Vanilla, not many fancy blitzes or looks. Often looked like the opponent knew exactly what to expect every play.
I'm in favor of giving this coaching staff a longer leash. The defense showed potential last year. And when I see Gase and this staff go about business they look the part. Losing Tannehill last year set us back a year. This year we decide if he's indeed the answer. The defense will continue to build.

Not sure --- but he has a sweet beard and hikes with gorillas so I am sold.

Imagine how itchy/uncomfortable that thing must be in the S.Florida heat and humidity....having a beard like that in Maine or Canada is one thing but south Florida? I guess he must be really used to it

Here's the thing:

The question specifically asks: "Is Matt Burke a good DC?"

And we are asked to provide an evaluation based on a 16 game sample size. A 16 game sample in which the defense was mostly pretty bad. I think it's more than fair to answer 'no' without being a Debbie Downer. In his first year on the job, with nothing to work with at linebacker, it would have beene surprising if he DID show to be a good DC.

I just think "No" is the most fair, reasonable answer based on what we've seen. Doesn't mean he can't become a good DC, or prove that he is one. But he certainly hasn't shown that he is yet.

Of course, and I get that reasoning. But when “I don’t know” is an option as an answer? That’s the one I’m going to take, for reasons I’ve already explained.

Imagine how itchy/uncomfortable that thing must be in the S.Florida heat and humidity....having a beard like that in Maine or Canada is one thing but south Florida? I guess he must be really used to it

I had a pretty serious beard up until about a week ago; I was in Cape Coral for a week in June with it and nearly lost my mind.

2016 with Vance Joseph

overall yards allowed: 29th (382.6 per game)
rushing yards allowed: 30th (140.4)
passing yards allowed: 15th (242.2)
points allowed: 18th (23.8 per game)

2017 with Matt Burke

overall yards allowed: 17th (335.7)
rushing: 14th (110.5)
passing: 16th (225.2)
points allowed: 29th (24.6)

As most of us already know, we improved in a few categories but gave up more points.

In 2017 we ranked 30th in the NFL with 1.8 points per game given away. (28.8 points for the year)
In 2016 we ranked 20th with 1.5 points per game given away. (24 points for the year)

https://www.teamrankings.com/nfl/stat/giveaways-per-game?date=2017-02-06

I'm not exactly sure how they calculate this stat but I would assume it's points given away on offense with pick 6's, fumbles for td, etc.

Back
Top Bottom