Is Miami Done Adding on the Offensive Line? | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Is Miami Done Adding on the Offensive Line?

Thats Tuas quick release nothing to do with the OL. If Tua didnt get the ball out so fast you could more than double those numbers for sure!

The OL is mediocre at best now Hunt and Williams are gone.

Totally new concept!

Let's see who are on our OL at the beginning of the season before "rushing to judgement".

Then let's see where the OL is 6 weeks into the season before we spiral down in despair or float up with admiration, when comparing our predictions with reality ("Lemmings" need not reply). - LOL

In my opinion, only two players fit the bill. Turner and Verse. I doubt any other edge player would be in consideration at 21 for Miami.
I like Chop Robinson from Penn State too. And Darius Robinson who is more of a traditional 4-3 DE. They might be projected to go a little lower than 21 but not much lower. I am also a fan of Jared Verse but could see him going in the 10-15 range.

I'm sure this got your attention, but it is something I've been thinking about. I think all of us, or most of us, agree that the offensive line still needs help. But, does Grier feel that way?

Now that Wynn is being brought back and Driscoll was signed, there are at least competitive players at each position. Armstead at LT with Smith backing him up. Wynn and Eichenberg at LG. Brewer at center, Jones or Driscoll at RG, Jackson at RT. Personally, I think Driscoll is better suited as a 6th, which is how Philadelphia utilized his talents. But he came to Miami and you have to think part of that was thinking he could start here.

Is offensive line still in play early in the draft, or do you think Grier will look later?

They're not even close to being done with the OL. There's only so much OL talent available in FA. There's a shortage across the league.

/still pounding the table for OL in the draft

I'd like OL in the 1st or 2nd. Won't mention specific names here, I've said more than my OL geek share in the draft forum and 347 :lol:. But a small part of me worries that Grier and McDaniel are putting too much faith in the 3 headed OL coaching of Barry, Smith, and McDaniel, and the play design and scheme. The OL coaching and scheme IS good - but talent and physical traits count too. Hoping we're not done.

Patrick Paul, JPJ, Mahogany, Greenfield and a few other late round prospects are the only offensive linemen, Miami has had confirmed meetings with. You'd think if Miami was interested in investing a 1st round pick on an OLineman, they'd have been doing more due diligence on the top prospects. Not one word outside of speculation has linked Miami to Fautanu, Barton, Mims and Latham.

Not sure what it actually means, but it could mean Miami is thinking beyond round #1 in selecting one from a strong group of 2nd and 3rd tier prospects.
I could see that. Maybe Grier is targeting a DT in the 1st, or trade down.

I'd like OL in the 1st or 2nd. Won't mention specific names here, I've said more than my OL geek share in the draft forum and 347 :lol:. But a small part of me worries that Grier and McDaniel are putting too much faith in the 3 headed OL coaching of Barry, Smith, and McDaniel, and the play design and scheme. The OL coaching and scheme IS good - but talent and physical traits count too. Hoping we're not done.
I'm getting that feeling as well?? Really hope I'm wrong, as I think Miami really has to find offensive line help early.

They're not even close to being done with the OL. There's only so much OL talent available in FA. There's a shortage across the league.

/still pounding the table for OL in the draft
Here's the problem, though. When teams lock in on a position and tell themselves "we have to take an OL in round 1 or 2" they make mistakes, especially when they convince themselves that guy can play guard or tackle when they've never really done that.

I refer you to Austin Jackson and J'Wan James, both reaches at where they were picked and both were taken over better players. AJ worked out but after years and at the cost of many sacks and blown up plays. James was an OK right tackle but Dennis Hickey took a guy in the first that should have been a third rounder.

I'd rather draft great players at other positions than reach for OL and weaken the potential of the roster. I think this year, especially in the first round, it's not looking like the BPA at 21 or our front office's intentions will lead them to take an offensive lineman. Maybe in round 2 but have the feeling there's probably a better safety, edge or WR lurking there, too.

Back
Top Bottom