It Is Rare... | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

It Is Rare...

Ummm, no. I gave a short list of signs. I'll grant you "signs" is a fuzzy term, but "signs," to me, are indications. And remember, I'm responding to "I gotta give some of you guys credit, to remain optimistic after years of mediocrity, and with no signs of that changing."
My position is there are signs (I noted) the mediocrity may not be around much longer. Many of those things fans have complained about for years (decades?) APPEAR to being addressed. Note also "signs" are not guarantees.

Those signs I noted have been advocated by many here, many writers, and by those who know the organization, so "your brain making **** up" is much too strong. Now, if you disagree with those signs I've noted, I can't debate that - it's all in the way we see the world. If you agree with all or some of those, you may call them what you want. I prefer "signs."
Flores and staff have shown signs of being an improvement over Gase

What signs make you think Flores is an improvement over Gase, considering they havent even run a single real practice yet, no pre-season game, nothing? I mean you might *think* he is, but you have no relevant information to form that argument.

signs of improvement in OL coaching or DC?

Again, how do you even find relevant information to make that case?

sign of improvement in conditioning or attempts to reduce penalties/mistakes?

I'll keep repeating myself, how can you make that argument?

sign of dumping poor players with big contracts or NOT signing 'splash' players

I'll give you that, at this point, Grier has proven he can dump players with big contracts and not sign anyone.

Its all wishful thinking wether you like it or not at this point and I have nothing against that, its a Fans message board after all... But then you write this:

Of course, denying any of those signs is, well, a denial issue

Im sorry but you've got nothing to back that up logically...

Level-headed here.

I can't see the logic for emotion on one side of the spectrum or the other; excitement or gloom.

The wheels of motion that were set this offseason, the obvious complete reset has set us up for a long drive NOT a drag race.

Ofcourse we should grasp the hilt of the sword of hope until our knuckles turn red and weild it til our hands blister that this can and will be an immediate turnaround. But you do yourself a diservice by allowing passion to get the better of logic.

Gentlemen, we have a journeyman QB that has never been consistent enough to stick and a young QB that had an atrocious start to his career.

In the same breath, we've seen that journeyman ball his arse off and that youngster has all of the potential in the world.

I'm for staying level-headed holding on to all the hope my heart has to muster.

What signs make you think Flores is an improvement over Gase, considering they havent even run a single real practice yet, no pre-season game, nothing? I mean you might *think* he is, but you have no relevant information to form that argument.

I'll give you that, at this point, Grier has proven he can dump players with big contracts and not sign anyone.

Its all wishful thinking wether you like it or not at this point and I have nothing against that, its a Fans message board after all... But then you write this:

Note, the key disagreement we seem to have is over the word "signs." We can call it 'indications,' 'actions that appear to differ from the predecessor in a good way,' whatever you want.

why is Flores an improvement? He has hired veteran coaches at positions where they have had success, a number with more experience than Flores has. No apparent fear of hiring people smarter than he is. He has come from a successful program where he actually is credited with helping in the success - unlike Gase who was credited with helping PManning. He is holding players accountable - e.g., the TNT wall. You'll see more of these signs below.

signs of improvement in OL coaching or DC? I have serious doubts I have to defend pick-a-name-DC as being better than Burke. Abandoning the wide 9. I doubt I have to explain that. OL coach. Foerster. Nuf said. Replaced by Washburn with essentially no OL experience. Those two compared to Flarhery (sp). I don't think so.

sign of improvement in conditioning or attempts to reduce penalties/mistakes? There is a continuing? thread here about Flores emphasizing conditioning so players can play a whole game. The fact that's a change from Gase speaks for itself. Penalties/mistakes? I've already mentioned the TNT wall. Articles stating Gase would see a mistake in practice and wait til a team meeting to address it. Flores stops practice and corrects it immediately. Both of those show Flores holds players accountable with the team watching. Anyone who's played organized sports knows it gets every player's attention. Remember Gase after every game? 'we have a few things to clean up.' They never were.

That list is not complete.

Again, I'll admit, "signs" do not equate with "proof." And "signs" aren't always followed by success. But those signs (indications?) are there. As you point out, fans will learn more in actual practice and PS. But, since this thread is a discussion of reasons to be optimistic/pessimistic, I see no "signs" (there's that word again) Flores and staff are as bad as Gase and his circus.

Are you a Millennial or Generation Z?

He has hired veteran coaches at positions where they have had success, a number with more experience than Flores has

Bottom line is the Fins coaching staff is topped with a rookie head coach, rookie OC and rookie DC... You can phrase it all you want to make more appealing but it is what it is...

He has come from a successful program

Historically, that argument doesnt work in his favor when it comes to that particular program.

Flores emphasizing conditioning so players can play a whole game. The fact that's a change from Gase speaks for itself. Penalties/mistakes? I've already mentioned the TNT wall

How does the TNT wall stack up vs. the lobster trap? Is there a head coach in the league who doesnt want to improve conditioning and reduce penalties and mistakes...?

Flores stops practice and corrects it immediately. Both of those show Flores holds players accountable with the team watching. Anyone who's played organized sports knows it gets every player's attention. Remember Gase after every game? 'we have a few things to clean up.' They never were.

Anyone who's played organized sports doesnt know **** about how to run an NFL team...

The only part I agree with is they havent shown any signs of being as bad as the previous regimes, because again, there are no signs, its the end of an off-season where they just did the demolition job of a rebuild and they havent done anything yet as it comes to football strategy...

Bottom line is the Fins coaching staff is topped with a rookie head coach, rookie OC and rookie DC... You can phrase it all you want to make more appealing but it is what it is...

Historically, that argument doesnt work in his favor when it comes to that particular program.

How does the TNT wall stack up vs. the lobster trap? Is there a head coach in the league who doesnt want to improve conditioning and reduce penalties and mistakes...?

Anyone who's played organized sports doesnt know **** about how to run an NFL team...

The only part I agree with is they havent shown any signs of being as bad as the previous regimes, because again, there are no signs, its the end of an off-season where they just did the demolition job of a rebuild and they havent done anything yet as it comes to football strategy...

Ah, so we have an area of agreement. we're down to mindset. In general terms, I see no signs Flores and staff are as bad and am willing to be optimistic for the new era. You seem to see no signs Flores and staff are as bad and choose to be a pessimist - there is no glimmer of hope able to get your eyes off the dark clouds. Trust me, I've been a Dolphins fan a l-o-o-o-n-g time and have had 20 years of disappointment. I still allow myself to be cautiously optimistic.

Because of that, I'll not spend a lot of electrons discussing the "signs." I will say there is a difference between 'lobster traps' (a passive approach that takes no effort on anyone's part) compared to the TNT wall (an active approach with the goal of changing behavior and holding players accountable). With that as an example, we see the world differently. History WILL change. Is Flores the man? we won't know for a couple of years. I hope so.

Are you a Millennial or Generation Z?
giphy.gif

Ah, so we have an area of agreement. we're down to mindset. In general terms, I see no signs Flores and staff are as bad and am willing to be optimistic for the new era. You seem to see no signs Flores and staff are as bad and choose to be a pessimist - there is no glimmer of hope able to get your eyes off the dark clouds. Trust me, I've been a Dolphins fan a l-o-o-o-n-g time and have had 20 years of disappointment. I still allow myself to be cautiously optimistic.

Because of that, I'll not spend a lot of electrons discussing the "signs." I will say there is a difference between 'lobster traps' (a passive approach that takes no effort on anyone's part) compared to the TNT wall (an active approach with the goal of changing behavior and holding players accountable). With that as an example, we see the world differently. History WILL change. Is Flores the man? we won't know for a couple of years. I hope so.
Brother, I hope as hell the Fins have finally hit the jackpot and are going to be relevant again. Im not saying there are signs either way, because nothing has happened yet... litterally... I dont claim to know if they're headed in the right direction or not and Im not trying to convince you that they will suck. What Im trying to get across here is that the statement: "denying any of those signs is, well, a denial issue" is blantantly false and could be just as easily used by a pessimist, going by your vague definition of "signs".

Last edited:
How does the TNT wall stack up vs. the lobster trap? Is there a head coach in the league who doesnt want to improve conditioning and reduce penalties

Gase.... Adam Gase lol. I see where, hes coming from and like his ideas. Pat's guys have never worked out elsewhere, I dont know if they've ever allowed as many of the assistants to be raided in the process tho. I also agree with you, hasnt been one legit bust their heads open practice yet, but were also taking chances on character issues players which is good or bad depending on your stance. The basis of the post was excitement.... I think well suck but in excited INITIALLY for the season just cause of the QB position. Fitz will make losses laughable probably with some of his decision making. Kind of like it was fun when we had cutler, hell you never knew what he was gonna do to make you laugh about his not give a **** attitude

Optimistic to the extent we're moving in a new direction. This past decade can be defined as waiting way too long to see return on franchise investments.

I'm also optimistic because the end of Brady (i personally think this is his last season) is near and we're lining ourselves up well to be in a position to fight for the division with Buffalo in the upcoming years.

Gase.... Adam Gase lol. I see where, hes coming from and like his ideas. Pat's guys have never worked out elsewhere, I dont know if they've ever allowed as many of the assistants to be raided in the process tho. I also agree with you, hasnt been one legit bust their heads open practice yet, but were also taking chances on character issues players which is good or bad depending on your stance. The basis of the post was excitement.... I think well suck but in excited INITIALLY for the season just cause of the QB position. Fitz will make losses laughable probably with some of his decision making. Kind of like it was fun when we had cutler, hell you never knew what he was gonna do to make you laugh about his not give a **** attitude

Man I've pretty much been a homer ever since I joined here. Although I do have faith that they'll somehow turn it around in the future(Accepting that a rebuild was necessary was a big step) this time around, this season is going to suck. I straight up hope they built this roster to lose because if they think they're getting wins with this, we're ****ed for another 3-4 years. Its not that they dont have talent, its that they lack serious talent at key spots like OL, pass rushers and cover guys nevermind QB... Its a straight up disaster waiting to happen...

And its all fine because of the way they positionned themselves for next offseason... But for 2019, man dont get your hopes up...

BTW thats a nice dress you put on me in your sig...lol!

giphy.gif

Brother, I hope as hell the Fins have finally hit the jackpot and are going to be relevant again. Im not saying there are signs either way, because nothing has happened yet... litterally... I dont claim to know if they're headed in the right direction or not and Im not trying to convince you that they will suck. What Im trying to get across here is that the statement: "denying any of those signs is, well, a denial issue" is blantantly false and could be just as easily used by a pessimist, going by your vague definition of "signs".

Fair enough. No one knows. And I'll expect you to call out those who claim Miami WILL suck since they don't even give a chance for good as well as bad. You know . . . denial.

Fair enough. No one knows. And I'll expect you to call out those who claim Miami WILL suck since they don't even give a chance for good as well as bad. You know . . . denial.
in 2019 you mean? Because I can give you multiple factual reasons they will suck in 2019 lol!

I'm more excited that I would've been if we'd stuck with the previous regime. But I don't think I'm as excited as I was before Gase's first season.

It's felt like the longest off-season ever though.

Really don't understand how some can possibly think that we'll be good this year as the least talented team in the NFL. Sure, hope that we have a top 3 coaching staff in the league and Rosen turns it around from last year's abomination could exist which is what would be required to shock the league, but that's a lot of rarities to actually get excited about. It's like buying a lotto ticket and being super psyched because you feel like you have a chance.

With that said, that doesn't mean that excitement can't exist. While I pretty much know we'll be bad, at least it was by design and required a plan, something this franchise hasn't had in quite awhile. Part of the reason why we've been on this mediocrity treadmill for so long is that our owner, front office, and coaches really had no self awareness whatsoever for the talent level or direction of the team. We always thought we were a player or two away... from what? Squeaking into the playoffs? Our goal was never to set ourselves up for sustained success as a Super Bowl caliber team. It was always to try and justify trying to get people in the seats on Sundays at maximum and sell the idea of "improvement", regardless of how little that technically was.

We've finally hit the reset button a year before a transcendent quarterback prospect enters the draft and I'm excited about it, so far, and hope in the future that we stick to the plan and prove that we have a good, solid coaching staff and front office going forward to take advantage of our future money and picks.

Because of all this, I'm a hell of a lot more excited about a 2-14/3-13 season this year than going 6-10 last year where every game was like torture to watch.

Man I've pretty much been a homer ever since I joined here. Although I do have faith that they'll somehow turn it around in the future(Accepting that a rebuild was necessary was a big step) this time around, this season is going to suck. I straight up hope they built this roster to lose because if they think they're getting wins with this, we're ****ed for another 3-4 years. Its not that they dont have talent, its that they lack serious talent at key spots like OL, pass rushers and cover guys nevermind QB... Its a straight up disaster waiting to happen...

And its all fine because of the way they positionned themselves for next offseason... But for 2019, man dont get your hopes up...

BTW thats a nice dress you put on me in your sig...lol!

It's a 13marino classic. I'm pretty sure I'm a cross dresser in a few sigs

Back
Top Bottom